Progressive life insurance review 2022
A life insurance policy you can get quickly and conveniently.
finder.com's rating: 2.5 / 5
- Get a quote if… You’re comfortable with communicating electronically. If you’re on the go and love using email and phone calls to communicate, it’ll mesh well with your lifestyle.
- Choose a different provider if… Want a company that specializes in life insurance. Progressive partners with a third party provider called Efinancial for life insurance so you don’t actually buy from Progressive.
18 to 80
$50,000 to $1,000,000
Depends on policy
Medical Exam Required
|Policies||Term, Whole, Universal, Final expense|
|Term lengths||10, 15, 20, 30 years|
|Medical exam required||Depends on policy|
|Available states||Depends on carries|
- Quotes are easy to get
- Highly rated by industry agencies
- 24/7 customer service
- Opportunity to bundle
- Your quote comes from a third-party source
- Your personal information could be shared
- Automated quotes
No info available
Amy Stoltenberg is a staff writer at Finder. She manages Finder's newsletter, which is about all things personal finance, with a sparkling eye toward cryptocurrency and the exciting world of DeFi. When her laptop's closed, you can find her driving around Los Angeles, marveling at the palm trees. She studied writing at Savannah College of Art and Design and has been featured on the Zoe Report.
While you may think that Progressive would offer its own life insurance policies, it actually behaves like more of a marketplace that matches you up with well-known brands.
If you’re hoping for something more customized or want to buy from the source, shop the market to see what other providers have to offer.
Fill out a short survey to get a life insurance quote from Progressive. It’s not deeply customized and coverage is fairly basic, but it’s easily accessible and you can manage your account 24/7 online or through the app.
Progressive life insurance rates
Coverage options start at $50,000, with $1 million maximum. While the exact rate you pay depends on your particular situation, including age and health, Progressive advertises a standard plan of $250,000 for $14 per month. This adds up to about $168 per year in premium payments.
How to get a quote from Progressive life insurance
- Go to Progressive’s website and select more choices in its product categories chart. A box with more options will pop up; choose Life. Enter your ZIP code and select, Get a Quote.
- You’ll be taken to a page that asks for your basic info, such as name, gender, height and weight and tobacco usage. You’ll also rate your overall health, out of four stars.
- After you’ve filled everything out, select Next, your rates. Progressive will show you an estimate of your monthly and annual premiums. You can Select Policy if you’d like, or scroll down to see rates from other carriers.
- If you choose the quote presented, Progressive’s last step is to ask for your email. You’ll hit Submit, then a licensed agent will call you to finalize the policy.
What types of life insurance coverage does Progressive offer?
Progressive offers a fairly standard array of products, with options to pay monthly, quarterly or annually. Policies include:
- Term. Choose a policy for 10-, 15-, 20- or 30-year increments. Premiums tend to be more affordable because the benefit will only be paid if you die before the term is up.
- Permanent. Lasts for the extent of your life, with a guaranteed payout amount at the end, as long as you keep up with premiums.
- Final Expense. Meant for people with end-of-life expenses on their mind, such as medical bills and funeral costs. A highly economic option, as premiums start at just $10 a month, though it’s only for people aged 50 to 85.
What riders can I add to my policy?
Progressive doesn’t list all riders it offers on its website. However, we know you can add a child rider onto Progressive’s term plans, which pays part of the benefit early if a child passes away.
Progressive life insurance reviews and complaints
Progressive has no accreditation with the Better Business Bureau, but customers have left it an average of just one star. Most of the complaints are about specific cases, and revolve around perceived unfair coverage costs and people unhappy with how customer service handled their claim.
Based on the complaints, communication seems to be problematic between Progressive and its customers, and Progressive has left no response to people’s reviews.
|AM Best financial rating||
1.12/5 out of 404 customer reviews
|Trustpilot score||1.6/5 out of 68 customer reviews|
|JD Power score||754|
|Customer reviews verified as of||27 October 2021|
Compare life insurance companies like Progressive
How does Progressive protect my data?
Exact privacy policies depend on each state, but in general Progressive has physical, electronic and procedural safeguards in place to help protect your personal information. In encrypts information you submit to safeguard it from hackers while in transit.
But on their website it says it restricts access to your “nonpublic personal information” to its employees and “others who we feel must use it to provide our products and services.” So once they have your info, you have no control of who sees it.
Frequently asked questions about Progressive life insurance
Life insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our experts analyze life insurance companies to help you to find the strongest possible policy and premium for your family’s needs. We assess their financial strength, customer satisfaction, policy features and riders. We then give each insurer a score between one and five stars that reflects their offering and reputation in the industry.