Huntington 25 Checking account review
A checking account that comes with free checks and complimentary credit score and identity monitoring services.
finder.com’s rating: 3.5 / 5.0
The Huntington 25 Checking account offers 0.05% on your entire balance and can help boost your APY on other Huntington savings accounts. But it comes with a $25 monthly fee that’s only avoided if you keep a minimum balance of $25,000.
$25 per month
Minimum deposit to open
|Fee||$25 per month|
|To waive the fee||if you keep a minimum balance of $25,000|
|Minimum deposit to open||$0|
|Intro or bonus offer||To qualify, you are required to open a new account between October 1, 2021 and February 7, 2022 and deposit at least $15,000 or more within 60 days of opening of your account and keep it open at least 90 days.|
|ATMs||Huntington has over 1,700 ATM locations across the 11 states that it services|
|ATM fee rebates||Huntington will waive all of your out-of-network ATM fees and refund any ATM fees you incur from third-party ATM owners every month|
Kimberly Ellis is a writer at Finder. She hails from New York City with a BA from Queens College and a New York State teaching certificate. After teaching in both public and private schools, Kimberly decided to take the world by storm and dive into the media industry — where she covers everything from home loans and investing to K–12 education and shopping. She’s also an aspiring polyglot, always in a book and forever on the hunt for the perfect classic red lipstick.
The Huntington 25 Checking account comes with a boatload of perks, including complimentary credit monitoring and identity theft protection. It also doesn’t nickel-and-dime you on checks and statements and is relatively transparent with its fees. But make sure you have a high account balance of at least $25,000 to avoid its $25 monthly fee before opening an account.
Also, although it earns interest, you may only earn a low 0.05% APY. And although opening this checking account can help boost your interest rate when you have a Huntington savings account, it doesn’t bump it up by a lot.
For instance, your Huntington Relationship Savings account account can jump from 0.02% to 0.05% APY depending on your location ― but it’s not worth it, since 0.05% APY is below the national average for savings accounts.
Our take? If you’re after a high-yield checking account, consider a checking account with a more competitive APY.
How do I open a Huntington 25 Checking account?
Sign up for a Huntington 25 Checking account in five steps:
- Click Apply now.
- Select Open an Account.
- Find Huntington 25 Interest Checking and hit Apply Now.
- Answer whether you have a promo code and choose Get Started.
- Input your personal information, including whether you’re a current Huntington customer and email address.
To qualify for a Huntington 25 Checking account, you must meet these requirements:
- At least 18 years old
- US citizen
- A resident of one of the 11 states Huntington services
Enter the following details when you apply for a Huntington 25 Checking account:
- Full name
- Social Security number
- Government-issued ID, including a state ID, driver’s license or passport
In which states does Huntington service?
- West Virginia
- South Dakota
8 benefits of a Huntington 25 Checking account
Check out some of the benefits of banking with Huntington:
- Can boost interest rates on other accounts. A Huntington 25 Checking account can increase the interest rate you earn on your Relationship Money Market or Huntington Relationship Savings account. For example: A Huntington 25 Checking account can bump the interest rate on your Huntington Relationship Savings account from 0.02% APY to 0.05% APY if you’re a resident of Columbus, Ohio.
- Free checks. While many banks charge a fee every time you order paper checks, Huntington checks are complimentary.
- Free credit score and identity monitoring. Enroll in this optional free credit and identity monitoring services to track and protect your credit score and personal information.
- No opening deposit. There’s no minimum deposit to open this account.
- ATM fee waiver and reimbursement. Huntington will waive all of your out-of-network ATM fees and refund any ATM fees you incur from third-party ATM owners every month.
- Standby cash. Qualify for a $100 to $1,000 line of credit that you can pay back over three months when you make at least $750 in monthly deposits for three consecutive months. The line of credit is free when you set up automatic payments or pay a 1% monthly interest charge.
- 24-hour overdraft grace period. All Huntington checking accounts get 24 hours to make a deposit or transfer to bring your account back to a positive balance to avoid an overdraft fee.
- Signup bonus. Earn a $500 cash bonus when you open a new Huntington 25 Checking account by February 7, 2022, and fund the account with at least $15,000 within 60 days of account opening.
5 things to look out for
Consider the following drawbacks of a Huntington 25 Checking account:
- Monthly fee. This account has a $25 monthly maintenance fee that’s only avoided when your total balance across all your Huntington accounts is at least $25,000.
- Limited ATM access. While Huntington services 11 states, you may not find a branch or in-network ATM near you. Most ATMs are located within specific areas in each state and aren’t available in every city. For example, although Huntington services Illinois, its ATMs are predominately located in Chicago. And while this account covers all non-network ATM fees for withdrawals, you’ll need a Huntington ATM for cash deposits.
- Low interest rate. You’ll only earn 0.05% APY no matter your balance ― but it could vary by ZIP code. And if you move outside Huntington’s seven-state footprint, your rate will default to a Columbus, Ohio ZIP code, which currently has a 0.05% APY.
- Limited states. Huntington only services seven states, but in November 2021 it plans to expand its services to four more states: Colorado, Minnesota, South Dakota and Wisconsin.
- Overdraft fee. You’ll pay $37.50 every time Huntington covers a transaction over $50 when you don’t have enough money in your checking account. To avoid the overdraft fee, set up free automatic transfers from a linked savings or money market account to cover overdrafts.
Huntington National Bank‘s ATM network and fees
Huntington has over 1,700 ATM locations across the 11 states that it services. With a Huntington 25 Checking account, Huntington will waive its out-of-network ATM fees when you use a non-Huntington ATM and reimburse you for any fees incurred from the ATM provider.
Huntington National Bank’s reviews and complaintsHuntington National Bank has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) for addressing complaints — 554 complaints within the last three years as of July 2021. But customers aren’t happy with the bank, giving it a 1.25 out of 5-star rating based on 153 reviews. And Trustpilot users have a divided opinion with six positive and five negative reviews, yielding a Trustscore average of 2.8 out of 5 stars.
Customers enjoy Huntington’s perks, including identity theft monitoring and its minimal fees. A few common complaints are poor customer service, long holds on funds and sudden account closures.
Compare Huntington 25 Checking with other checking accounts
Use this table to compare other checking accounts by monthly fees, minimum deposits and ATM access.
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
Huntington is a full-service bank that offers multiple methods to access your money:
- Cash and check deposits at a local branch
- Deposit-accepting ATMs
- Mobile check deposit
- ACH transfer
- Wire transfer
- ATM withdrawals
- Paper checks
- ACH transfer
- Wire transfer
- Debit card, upon request
- Mobile wallets linked to a debit card
How to contact Huntington National Bank customer service?
Reach out to customer support by:
- Calling 800-480-2265 every day from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET.
- Live chatting with a representative on its website by hitting the Ask Us button.
- Tweeting @askhuntington.
- Sending a direct Facebook message to @huntingtonbank.
Checking account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top checking accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: monthly fees, the ease at which monthly fees can be waived, the breadth of ATM access, ATM and overdraft fees, and customer service.