Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own. Advertiser Disclosure

How to change your name on a credit card

The process is easy, but tedious if you have many cards.

Card providers make it easy to change your name on your credit cards, but the process slightly varies between providers. But before you start, you must legally change your name on all of your legal documentation first. This includes changing your name with the Social Security Administration and on your government-issued IDs.

Once that’s settled, here’s how to change your name on a credit card:

  1. Prepare all required legal documents with your new name.
  2. Write a request signed and dated.
  3. Send all documents and your written request at the card issuer’s address.
  4. As an alternative, visit a bank branch with the required documents and fill out a form.

Steps to change your name on a Capital One credit card

Capital One cardholders can request a name change as soon as the legal documents are ready. Here’s how:

  1. Prepare a copy of one legal document with your new name, for example: driver’s license, marriage certificate, divorce certificate, new Social Security card or a court order.
  2. Write a name change request, sign it and add a date.
  3. Sign a W-9 form with your new name.
  4. Mail all required documents at Capital One, P.O. Box 60, St. Cloud, MN 56302.

Note: Only one legal document is enough to prove your name change. If you’re trying to fix a misspelling, you can simply send a W-9 form.

Steps to change your name on a Bank of America credit card

Here’s how to change your name with this provider:

  1. Change your legal documents with the new name.
  2. Take one of the required documents and visit a Bank of America branch.
  3. Fill out the form provided by the bank.
  4. If you don’t live near a bank branch, call customer service at 800-432-1000.

Depending on the reason for your name change, you need to bring a government ID and one of the following:

Reason for changing your nameRequired document
Misspelling on your accountBirth certificate
MarriageMarriage certificate
DivorceDivorce decree
Legal court orderLegal court order
AdoptionAdoption certificate

Steps to change your name on an American Express credit card

Changing your name with American Express is probably the easiest. Here’s how it works:

  1. Log in to your online credit card account.
  2. Click the Edit button next to your name.
  3. Fill out the Name Change Authorization form.
  4. Attach a copy of your government-issued ID.
  5. Submit.

Steps to change your name on a Discover credit card

Discover also has a simple name change procedure. Here’s how:

  1. Call Discover customer service at 801-902-3100.
  2. If the reason for changing your name is marriage or divorce, you can complete the procedure in real-time by talking to a customer service representative.
  3. If it is a legal name change, you’ll need to fax, mail or upload the supporting documents.

Steps to change your name on a Citi credit card

Citi has implemented a process specifically for transgender and non-binary cardholders to help the bank refer to the cardholder as their preferred name where possible. Here’s how to set your preferred name.

  1. Log in to your Citi online account.
  2. Under profile, go to Contact Information.
  3. Click on Use a Preferred First Name to input your name.

Citi will attempt to use this name wherever possible when sending you communications, though some outreach may still use your legal name. If you’ve legally changed your name and wish to update your legal name in Citi’s system, you’ll want to call the phone number listed on the back of your Citi credit card.

Follow-up steps

Once you have updated your name in all your legal documents and with your card providers, reach out to all three major credit bureaus — Experian, Equifax and TransUnion — to make sure they have updated your new name.

Next, you should update your name with all other institutions like banks, insurance companies or other companies you have any relation with.

Reasons to change your name on your credit card

While there are many reasons one might change a name on a credit card, marriage and divorce are among the most common. You might also wish to change your name on your credit card if you identify with a different gender than the one you were assigned at birth.

Bottom line

No matter the reason for your name change, you can easily update your credit cards with your new name. All you have to do is reach out to your bank and send them copies of legal documents that reflect your name change.

Once that’s settled, you can freely apply for a new credit card and your new name will appear on all of them.

Frequently asked questions

How do I change my name on my Social Security card?

  1. Visit a Social Security office or submit a request online.
  2. Fill out an SS-5 form.
  3. Provide proof of your name change and a valid government-issued ID.
  4. You may need to provide additional documents if required.

Does it take long to change my name on my Social Security card?
In general, it can take up to 14 business days to get your new Social Security card after you apply for a name change.

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

Questions and responses on are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.
Go to site