Green Leaf Money cannabis business loans review
Borrow between $25,000 and $10,000,000 for your cannabis business.
Read on to learn how Green Leaf Money can help finance your startup, capital needs or equipment to keep your business humming.
First, do I qualify?
According to information provided by Green Leaf Money, your cannabis business may qualify for a business loan if:
- You can prove documented business income.
- You keep records of your business’s spending and accounts.
Your business might need to meet other requirements, depending on the type of business loan you’re looking for and other factors, like income.
What are Green Leaf Money business loans?
Green Leaf Money appears to be a connection service, claiming that it can leverage its 25 years of experience to connect you with funding in all 50 states — even if you run a cannabis business.
It doesn’t provide you with the funds itself. Rather, it works to find a lender that’s willing to help your business through four types of financing.
Operating capital loans
These business loans are designed to help your business run smoothly — and grow. If approved, you can put your money toward hiring staff, buying supplies and more.
Eligible businesses can borrow up to $250,000 with APRs ranging from 7%–12%. Typically, your business has between three and seven years to pay it off.
Equipment leasing and loans
Need lights or other equipment for your grow house? Green Leaf Money might have you covered for $50,000 to $10,000,000, depending on your creditworthiness and needs.
Rates also vary widely depending on your business size and the equipment you need. Typically, growers can qualify for equipment leases that last from one to three years. Greenhouses can qualify for even longer leases — sometimes as long seven years or more.
Business lines of credit
Gain access to a continuous source of funding for your business through Green Leaf Money’s line of credit. Credit limits start at $25,000 and come with a 0% introductory rate for the first nine to 24 months, depending on your creditworthiness. After that, rates go up to between 9% and 16%.
For approval, your business must be registered as an LLC or corporation with an EIN, along with additional eligibility requirements that include:
- A credit score of 700 or higher.
- At least five years of credit history.
- Credit utilization of 30% or lower.
- No more than three hard credit checks per credit bureau in the last six months.
- No late payments over the last two or three years.
- No chronic late payments that are more than 60 days overdue.
- No late mortgage payments, foreclosures or short sales.
- No tax liens, judgements, charge-offs or collections on your credit report.
Real estate, raw land and development loans
Businesses looking to buy a storefront, invest in land or develop property it already owns can also get funding through Green Leaf Money.
Requiring no minimum credit score to qualify, real estate loans come with rates ranging from 7.99% to 15%. You can borrow up to 75% of the property’s value for real estate — or 65% if you’re buying land.
What makes Green Leaf Money cannabis business loans unique?
Green Leaf Money is one of the few platforms that connects cannabis businesses of all types to lenders willing to work with them across the country. As business owners involved in the cannabis industry know, this can be the most difficult part of the process.
It could be a particularly useful resource for growers, who tend to have a more difficult time getting funded than cannabis businesses that are less involved in growing.
What are the benefits of borrowing through Green Leaf Money?
- Wide range of loan types. Your business can try for financing that can cover just about any need — with the exception of vehicle loans.
- No service fees. Green Leaf Money doesn’t charge you anything to connect with a lender.
- Grower friendly. Businesses involved in the production and processing of cannabis are eligible for financing through this service.
- Operates in all 50 states. As long as your business is legal in your state of residence, Green Leaf Money is willing to work with you.
What to watch out for
- Limited information online. You likely won’t find everything you need to know about Green Leaf Money on its site.
- Changing laws affect business. The legal status of marijuana in the US is shaky at best, with the threat of federal enforcement against cannabis looming.
- Potentially long turnaround. Funding in this industry typically takes longer than financing you’ll find elsewhere. Green Leaf Money states that funding typically takes 21 days or less, so plan accordingly.
Compare Green Leaf Money to other alternative business loan providers
What does the Internet say about Green Leaf Money?
As with many lenders who work with cannabis businesses, it’s difficult to find information about Green Leaf Money online. In fact, a quick online search might not even return Green Leaf Money’s website.
We weren’t able to find any customer reviews of Green Leaf Money anywhere online — not through Google, forums or review aggregators.
Before accepting a loan offer, be sure the lender who’ll fund your loan is licensed and has reliable customer service.
How do I apply?
You can apply in four steps:
- Go to Green Leaf Money’s website and click Get Funded.
- Compete the brief prequalification form with your personal information and how much you’d like to borrow. Click Submit.
- Green Leaf Money will contact you to discuss the type of financing you would like and your options. You’ll choose from two credit pull options: A free soft credit pull or, if you’re not yet established, a hard credit pull that you pay for, which comes with a credit service to monitor your payments as you establish a business credit score.
- Talk to an underwriter to go over your offers based on your application and the credit pull. Then choose your loan offer.
Because Green Leaf Money works with a variety of lenders, eligibility requirements can vary widely. Generally, businesses that don’t keep solid records of their income or spending likely won’t qualify, given the scrutiny that comes with this industry.
To get the best rates, you’ll typically need a good to excellent personal credit score and a strong credit history — one that’s been around for a few years. Your business’s revenue might also play a factor in whether you qualify for financing.
What documents do I need to apply?
Green Leaf Money isn’t a direct lender, which means you won’t learn your exact rates or eligibility requirements until you’re connected with financing.
Generally, your business will need to provide records of income, other debts and spending. Your lender might also ask for bank statements from your personal account, tax returns from the past year and your government-issued ID.
I got a business loan through Green Leaf Money. Now what?
Next steps depend on the lender you’re ultimately connected with. Given the climate of the cannabis industry, stay in close contact with customer service to make sure you’re meeting the laws in your state as well as your lender’s state.
If you notice anything wrong with your loan or your provider, reach out as soon as possible to learn more.
If you run a cannabis business and don’t know where to start looking for financing, take a look at Green Leaf Money. It claims to help nearly any type of business — even growers, who often have trouble finding lenders that are comfortable working with them.
But with so little information online, you’ll want to ask as many question as necessary to understand exactly what you’re getting into. And businesses looking for funds on the smaller end of the spectrum might want to look elsewhere altogether.
To learn more about how financing a cannabis business works and how to compare your options, visit our comprehensive guide to cannabis business loans.