A no-frills checking account with a $200 opening bonus and all of the benefits of banking with Chase.
If you’re looking for a simple checking account with a low monthly service fee, the Chase Total Checking account may be a good fit. You’ll have access to Chase’s vast network of ATMs, mobile app for on-the-go bill payments and deposits, account alerts and even options to waive the monthly fee. Chase only has branches in 29 states, however, and this basic checking account won’t earn interest.
|Monthly fee||$12 per month|
|To waive the fee||Do any ONE of the following: |
• Set up monthly direct deposits of $500 or more
• OR have a $1,500 balance or more each morning
• OR have a combined balance of $5,000 or more in your Total Checking account and any other linked qualifying Chase accounts or investments
|Minimum deposit to open||$25|
|Intro or bonus offer||The $200 introductory bonus is only available to new Chase customers. You’ll also need to set up direct deposit within 60 days of opening your account.|
|ATMs||Nationwide. Access to 16,000 ATMs and 5,100 branches.|
|Out-of-network ATM fee||$2.50|
|Foreign transaction fee||3%|
|Nonsufficient funds fee||$34|
|Deposit methods||Cash by teller|
Cash by ATM
Check by teller
Check by ATM
Mobile/remote check deposit
What are the benefits of Chase Total Checking?
- Bonus offer. Get a $200 bonus when you open this account and set up direct deposit.
- Visa debit. The account comes with a Chase Visa debit card with chip technology.
- Convenient deposits. You can deposit money at branches, ATMs, by mail, online or through its app using Chase QuickDeposit.
- Security. Chase holds the highest possible ratings by all three major ratings agencies. It’s also FDIC-insured, meaning that deposits up to $250,000 are covered by FDIC deposit insurance.
- Bill pay. Make one-time or recurring payments for free when you make this account the primary account for online bill payment.
- Nationwide support. Chase has over 5,100 branch locations and offers 24/7 customer service. You can also get in touch by email, mail and Twitter, or find FAQs on the Chase site.
- Account alerts. Get alerts when there is a charge, refund or other transaction on your account. This service is available via text, email and push notifications.
- Text banking. This feature allows you to check account balances, view credit card bills and more — all from your phone.
- Mobile payments. Use the Chase mobile app to send money to friends and family through QuickPay with Zelle.
Chase ATM network and fees
This account comes with a Chase Visa debit card, giving you access to Chase’s massive network of over 16,000 ATMs. Transactions at these ATMs are free, but if you use an ATM from another bank, you’ll be charged the following fees:
- Domestic ATM fees: $2.50 per withdrawal, transfer or inquiry — plus fees from the ATM owner.
- Foreign ATM fees: $5 per withdrawal and $2.50 per transfer or inquiry — plus fees from the ATM owner.
What should I look out for?
- Opening deposit requirement. This account requires a $25 minimum deposit to open.
Monthly service charge. The Chase Total Checking account comes with a monthly service charge of $12, which is waived if you meet any of the following conditions:
- Have direct deposits into the account totaling $500 or more per month.
- Have a balance of $1,500 or more at the beginning of each statement period.
- Have an average balance of $5,000 or more at the beginning of each statement period, which includes qualifying linked deposits and investments.
Insufficient funds fees. You’re charged $34 for each debit card purchase that overdraws your account, with a maximum of three per day. However, this fee doesn’t apply if any of these conditions are true:
- Your account balance at the end of the business day is overdrawn by $5 or less.
- The purchase was for $5 or less, even if your end-of-day balance is overdrawn.
- You made a withdrawal at an ATM.
- Extended overdraft fees. You’ll incur a $15 fee each time your account is overdrawn at least five business days in a row.
Miscellaneous fees. These other fees could eat away at your funds if you’re not careful.
- Stop payment: $30 per request
- Non-ATM cash: $5 or 3% of the transaction, whichever is greater
- Additional statement copy: $6 per paper statement
- Blank page of three personal checks: $2 per page
- Money order: $5 each
- Cashier’s check: $8 each
Wire transfer fees. Both domestic and international wire transfers also incur additional fees.
- Incoming wire transfer: $15
- Outgoing domestic wire transfer: $35
- Outgoing domestic online wire transfer: $25
- Outgoing international wire transfer: $50
- Outgoing international online wire transfer: $40
- Outgoing international online wire transfer in a foreign currency: $40 for amounts less than $5,000; free for amounts of $5,000 or more
- Limited availability. Although Chase has over 5,100 branches, it only operates in 28 states and Washington, DC.
What states have Chase branches?
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- New York
- West Virginia
Compare with other checking accounts
How much do I need to open an account?
This account requires a minimum deposit of $25, due when you open the account.
How do I apply?
You can open a Chase Total Checking account at a branch or online through the following steps:
1. Visit the Chase site and click Checking accounts.
2. Click Open account under Chase Total Checking.
3. Fill in your personal information including your name, address and Social Security number, then click Next.
4. Once your application is complete, you’ll need to fund the account.
5. After your opening deposit has been made, you can submit your application.
The only eligibility requirement for the Chase Total Checking account to make a $25 deposit to open the account, you’ll need to present government-issued identification, but as long as you have a permanent address, you should be able to open an account.
The $200 introductory bonus is only available to new Chase customers. You’ll also need to set up direct deposit within 60 days of opening your account.
- Date of birth
- Government-issued ID
- Social security number — or passport for foreign applicants
- Income information
What other checking options does Chase offer?
Chase also offers a few other checking accounts:
- Chase Premier Plus Checking. Comes with higher balance requirements but also offers great perks and features.
- Chase Sapphire Checking. This premium checking account has a high balance requirement to waive the $25 monthly service fee, but has almost no other fees and earns interest at 0.01% APY.
- Chase College Checking. Designed for the needs and expenses of college students and comes with a $6 monthly service fee that can be waived for up to five years while you’re in school.
- Chase High School Checking. Geared toward students between the ages 13 and 17, this checking account helps develop responsible financial behavior in teenagers. Its $6 monthly service fee is waived if you meet certain requirements.
Does this bank offer business services?
Yes. Chase also offers a number of options for businesses, including:
- Business checking accounts. Various business checking accounts are designed to help businesses handle cash flow.
- Merchant services. Chase offers products that allow businesses to accept payments online, in store or on the go.
- Business credit cards. Chase’s selection of business credit cards help companies cover expenses and earn rewards in the process.
- Business lending. Lines of credit, term loans, SBA financing and more are available to help businesses finance large purchases and other operating expenses.
If you’re looking for a simple checking account to manage your finances, the Chase Total Checking account might be right for you. It offers convenient access to your money and a low monthly service charge that is easy to avoid. Plus, you’ll get all the benefits of banking with Chase, along with a $200 bonus when you set up direct deposit. However, it’s a no-frills account that doesn’t earn interest, so if you’re looking for extra perks, you may be better off with a different account.
As always, compare your options to find the best checking account for your financial needs.