Compare car insurance quotes
Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare to see the cheapest rates in your area.
As a new manufacturer with no models on the market yet, Rivian doesn’t have averages for insurance rates yet. However, the similar Tesla Model X goes for $227 per month or $2,724 per year. You can expect something similar for Rivian’s all-electric truck and SUV.
Compare car insurance for Rivians
About the Rivian brand
Michigan-based startup Rivian announced its lineup of all-electric cars coming to the market soon. The R1T is the first electric pickup truck, and both the R1T and R1S electric SUV can get up to 440 miles with a full charge. The luxury adventure vehicles are designed to be equally suited for offroading and road trips.
After a $500 million investment from Ford Motors and a $700 million investment by Amazon, production of the first Rivian cars should begin in 2020 for an estimated sale date of 2021.
How to compare insurance for Rivian cars
Rivian’s electric vehicles promise the latest technology for safety and pleasure while giving easy access to its US parts. However, the above-average MSRP and specialized electric repairs may contribute to higher rates than everyday joe gas-guzzlers.
- MSRP. The upcoming Rivian R1T and R1S are slated at the $70,000-range, not including any tax credits you might qualify for when buying an electric car. That MSRP might drive up insurance rates.
- Country of manufacture. This brand new manufacturer is currently located in the US, which should make its parts easy to access.
- Safety features. Built for offroading, Rivian vehicles come with underbody skid protection as well as cameras, radar, Lidar and ultrasonic sensors, level 3 autonomous driving and digital tech that learns driving habits and monitors safety. You’re likely to get safety discounts here.
- Mileage. Rivians will come with multiple battery pack options, including 105-, 135- and 180-kWh batteries. The 180-kWh pack can last up to 410 miles.
- Maintenance. In general, EVs have low maintenance, costing less to recharge than fueling up with gas would. You also don’t need the same fluid replacements and checks.
- Repairs. Repairing vehicles at this tech level can get pricey due to specialized parts and mechanical knowledge, which also increases its insurance premium.
- Theft rates. Electric vehicles don’t usually have a problem with theft rates, and Rivian’s models probably won’t either.
- Reliability. Only time will tell how much you can rely on Rivian’s version of an EV. However, electrics are considered more reliable than gas vehicles due to fewer moving parts and cutting-edge technology.
- Safety ratings. These models have no safety ratings as of yet, but they do include modern safety features and futuristic driver assistance like semi-autonomous driving, so expect high safety ratings once they’re available.
Rivian needs time to prove its safety and reliability as an electric vehicle brand. However, its typical EV ticket prices and modern technology mean you should expect rates above gasoline counterparts yet similar to other electrics.
Frequently asked questions about Rivian
More guides on Finder
Car insurance when buying a new car
How to get a good deal on car insurance when you’re purchasing a new vehicle.
Best cars under $20,000
Compare new and used models with budget-friendly price tags.
Auto manufacturers that sell cars in the US
Get the lowdown on 30+ automakers and what they have to offer.
Cheapest cars by class
Compare 11 of the most affordable models on the market.
Compare car insurance after changing cars
How to switch cars and what to expect with your new insurance rates.
Compare rare car insurance
Save up to 40% on specialty insurance for rare cars with agreed value or car show coverage.
Electric car insurance
Compare cheap insurance for your electric car and find ways to save.
How to finance a Honda
Learn about the types of financing that can help you get on the road in your new Honda.
Liberty Mutual commercial car insurance review
This major insurer offers driver safety training and other benefits for its commercial customers.
How car depreciation affects your car’s value
Cars lose value as soon as they’re driven off the lot. Find out how much your car is worth right now and how to save money on your next car.