Compare car insurance quotes
Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare to see the cheapest rates in your area.
As a new manufacturer with no models on the market yet, Rivian doesn’t have averages for insurance rates yet. However, the similar Tesla Model X goes for $227 per month or $2,724 per year. You can expect something similar for Rivian’s all-electric truck and SUV.
Discover coverage that’s broader than competitors, valuable discounts up to 30% off and perks like shrinking deductibles that reward no claims.
- Broad coverage, including for custom car parts or ridesharing
- Transparent pricing tools that help you buy within budget
- Accident forgiveness on small claims or for staying claim-free
- Stack a variety of discounts for multiple cars, autopay or homeownership
Compare car insurance for Rivians
About the Rivian brand
Michigan-based startup Rivian announced its lineup of all-electric cars coming to the market soon. The R1T is the first electric pickup truck, and both the R1T and R1S electric SUV can get up to 440 miles with a full charge. The luxury adventure vehicles are designed to be equally suited for offroading and road trips.
After a $500 million investment from Ford Motors and a $700 million investment by Amazon, production of the first Rivian cars should begin in 2020 for an estimated sale date of 2021.
How to compare insurance for Rivian cars
Rivian’s electric vehicles promise the latest technology for safety and pleasure while giving easy access to its US parts. However, the above-average MSRP and specialized electric repairs may contribute to higher rates than everyday joe gas-guzzlers.
- MSRP. The upcoming Rivian R1T and R1S are slated at the $70,000-range, not including any tax credits you might qualify for when buying an electric car. That MSRP might drive up insurance rates.
- Country of manufacture. This brand new manufacturer is currently located in the US, which should make its parts easy to access.
- Safety features. Built for offroading, Rivian vehicles come with underbody skid protection as well as cameras, radar, Lidar and ultrasonic sensors, level 3 autonomous driving and digital tech that learns driving habits and monitors safety. You’re likely to get safety discounts here.
- Mileage. Rivians will come with multiple battery pack options, including 105-, 135- and 180-kWh batteries. The 180-kWh pack can last up to 410 miles.
- Maintenance. In general, EVs have low maintenance, costing less to recharge than fueling up with gas would. You also don’t need the same fluid replacements and checks.
- Repairs. Repairing vehicles at this tech level can get pricey due to specialized parts and mechanical knowledge, which also increases its insurance premium.
- Theft rates. Electric vehicles don’t usually have a problem with theft rates, and Rivian’s models probably won’t either.
- Reliability. Only time will tell how much you can rely on Rivian’s version of an EV. However, electrics are considered more reliable than gas vehicles due to fewer moving parts and cutting-edge technology.
- Safety ratings. These models have no safety ratings as of yet, but they do include modern safety features and futuristic driver assistance like semi-autonomous driving, so expect high safety ratings once they’re available.
Rivian needs time to prove its safety and reliability as an electric vehicle brand. However, its typical EV ticket prices and modern technology mean you should expect rates above gasoline counterparts yet similar to other electrics.
Frequently asked questions about Rivian
Read more on this topic
Audi S4 insurance rates Get cheap car insurance quotes and find the best policies for your Audi S4.
Aston Martin DBX insurance rates Get cheap car insurance quotes and find the best policies for your Aston Martin DBX.
GoAuto car insurance review August 2020 Pocket an option for SR-22 coverage, but you might be compromising on service.
Compare the best auto and renters insurance bundles The best companies blend wide auto and renters coverage, free perks and strong value.
Compare RV rental insurance Most rental companies build in some coverage, but make sure you have enough before getting in the cockpit.
Honda Passport car insurance rates The Honda Passport’s high safety ratings and antitheft package may discount your insurance.
Ford Bronco car insurance rates The Bronco’s off-roading performance may mean an increased car insurance premium. But its safety features could be an upside.
Electra Meccanica Solo car insurance rates Insuring the new Electra Meccanica Solo presents a unique challenge.
States with the strictest driving laws If you're relaxed behind the wheel, you'll want to steer clear of these states with the strictest driving laws.
Compare the best bundling insurance companies for 2020 Your top choices for pairing the best savings, options and service when buying multiple insurance policies.