Compare car insurance quotes
Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare to see the cheapest rates in your area.
As a new manufacturer with no models on the market yet, Rivian doesn’t have averages for insurance rates yet. However, the similar Tesla Model X goes for $227 per month or $2,724 per year. You can expect something similar for Rivian’s all-electric truck and SUV.
Compare car insurance for Rivians
About the Rivian brand
Michigan-based startup Rivian announced its lineup of all-electric cars coming to the market soon. The R1T is the first electric pickup truck, and both the R1T and R1S electric SUV can get up to 440 miles with a full charge. The luxury adventure vehicles are designed to be equally suited for offroading and road trips.
After a $500 million investment from Ford Motors and a $700 million investment by Amazon, production of the first Rivian cars should begin in 2020 for an estimated sale date of 2021.
How to compare insurance for Rivian cars
Rivian’s electric vehicles promise the latest technology for safety and pleasure while giving easy access to its US parts. However, the above-average MSRP and specialized electric repairs may contribute to higher rates than everyday joe gas-guzzlers.
- MSRP. The upcoming Rivian R1T and R1S are slated at the $70,000-range, not including any tax credits you might qualify for when buying an electric car. That MSRP might drive up insurance rates.
- Country of manufacture. This brand new manufacturer is currently located in the US, which should make its parts easy to access.
- Safety features. Built for offroading, Rivian vehicles come with underbody skid protection as well as cameras, radar, Lidar and ultrasonic sensors, level 3 autonomous driving and digital tech that learns driving habits and monitors safety. You’re likely to get safety discounts here.
- Mileage. Rivians will come with multiple battery pack options, including 105-, 135- and 180-kWh batteries. The 180-kWh pack can last up to 410 miles.
- Maintenance. In general, EVs have low maintenance, costing less to recharge than fueling up with gas would. You also don’t need the same fluid replacements and checks.
- Repairs. Repairing vehicles at this tech level can get pricey due to specialized parts and mechanical knowledge, which also increases its insurance premium.
- Theft rates. Electric vehicles don’t usually have a problem with theft rates, and Rivian’s models probably won’t either.
- Reliability. Only time will tell how much you can rely on Rivian’s version of an EV. However, electrics are considered more reliable than gas vehicles due to fewer moving parts and cutting-edge technology.
- Safety ratings. These models have no safety ratings as of yet, but they do include modern safety features and futuristic driver assistance like semi-autonomous driving, so expect high safety ratings once they’re available.
Rivian needs time to prove its safety and reliability as an electric vehicle brand. However, its typical EV ticket prices and modern technology mean you should expect rates above gasoline counterparts yet similar to other electrics.
Frequently asked questions about Rivian
More guides on Finder
Lemonade car insurance review for 2021
Safe drivers and electric car owners could see cheap rates, but its claims process isn’t perfect.
Electric vehicles in 2021: How new models, insurance rates and tax breaks affect their cost to own
See average EV insurance rates for 2021 based on Finder’s car model research, plus new models on the horizon.
Can a teenager buy their own car?
Avoid sales traps and watch for hidden costs when shopping for a new ride.
Compare crossover insurance
Make sure your insurance covers your crossover for wherever you want to take it.
Best cars under $20,000
Compare new and used models with budget-friendly price tags.
Compare sport bike insurance
Compare coverage for your sport bike to get the best rate.
Auto manufacturers that sell cars in the US
Get the lowdown on 30+ automakers and what they have to offer.
Car safety ratings guide
What that 5-star rating really means.
Cheapest cars by class
Compare 11 of the most affordable models on the market.
Should I buy a discontinued car model?
You could make a profit off an older vehicle — but it’s a gamble.