Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Rivian R1T car insurance rates
One of the first electric pickup trucks comes with exciting features and high insurance costs.
Compare car insurance quotes
Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare to see the cheapest rates in your area.
Rates are expected to be around $300 to $400 per month, though this could change over time as insurers gather more data about the new model. An insurance rate of $300 to $350 monthly gives the $61,000 R1T an annual insurance cost-to-base ratio of around 6%, which is slightly higher than the national average of 4%.
Compare car insurance for your Rivian R1T
How do I compare insurance for the Rivian R1T?
Insurance for the Rivian R1T is expected to be higher than average, even for pickup trucks.
- Body type. The Rivian R1T is built on a new pickup truck platform designed around its electric motor. Pickup trucks are one of the most expensive vehicles to insure, and the electric pickup truck will likely be even more expensive since it’s new to the market.
- Fuel. This pickup truck runs on electric power, with an expected range between 230 and 400 miles, depending on the battery you select. Electric cars often cost 3% to 5% more to insure than their gas-powered counterparts.
- Theft rates. There will be no official theft data for a few years after the R1T’s 2020 release, but you can reasonably expect low theft rates. Electric vehicles are generally stolen much less than gas powered vehicles, mainly because EVs are almost always parked in a garage or somewhere secure that’s close to a power source.
- Maintenance. The R1T is Rivian’s first vehicle, so maintenance costs could vary widely. Generally, electric vehicles require less annual maintenance than gas powered vehicles, which helps keep insurance rates down.
- Coverage. The Rivian R1T is expected to cost over $60,000, which means you’ll likely want to get a full coverage policy with comprehensive and collision coverage, in addition to liability coverage and gap coverage.
- Warranty. At the time of this writing, Rivian hasn’t released its warranty information for the R1T. The R1T is Rivian’s first automobile, and the company announced it would release warranty information right before the market release of the R1T.
- Manufacturer offer. It’s not yet known if Rivian will have a manufacturer offer, though it might not given it’s a new company. You may be able to take advantage of a $7,500 federal tax credit that brings the $69,000 base price down to $61,500.
Does the Rivian R1T qualify for discounts?
Yes, the Rivian R1T will qualify for various vehicle-specific discounts that are offered by most insurance companies.
- Electric vehicle discount
- Antilock brake discount
- Passive restraint discount
- Antitheft discount
- Seatbelt pretensioners
How reliable is the Rivian R1T?
Rivian doesn’t have any official safety or reliability ratings because it doesn’t have any vehicles on the market. The R1T and R1S are its first vehicles, both due to be released in 2020. It will take at least one year of reports before official ratings are released.
While electric cars generally score well on safety ratings, many pickups struggle to meet standards.
- Safety. There is no official safety information on Rivian vehicles, since the R1T and R1S are its first vehicles. Rivian is targeting the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety’s (IIHS) Top Safety Pick+ rating, as well as the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s (NHTSA) 5 star rating.
- Reliability. As with safety ratings, there won’t be any official reliability ratings from J.D. Power or other rating companies for at least one year after the R1T hits the market.
- Recalls. There’s a wait-and-see approach to whether Rivian will issue any recalls, since it hasn’t released any vehicles to the public yet.
The 2020 Rivian R1T is one of the first electric pickup trucks on the market, and is also Rivian’s first release as a car manufacturer. With an expected monthly insurance cost of between $300 and $350, it’s a reasonably priced electric vehicle to insure considering it’s a brand new model from a new startup company.
Insurance rates could vary quite a bit between companies, so be sure to compare different insurance providers to find the best rate for the Rivian R1T.
Frequently asked questions about the Rivian R1T
More guides on Finder
Drivers aren’t seeing 100% of insurance savings while claims are down — Are more serious accidents to blame?
Preliminary data on fatal accidents and driving behavior could explain why drivers haven’t seen higher insurance refunds.
Electric vehicles in 2021: How new models, insurance rates and tax breaks affect their cost to own
See average EV insurance rates for 2021 based on Finder’s car model research, plus new models on the horizon.
Acceptance car insurance review Apr 2021
Consider Acceptance if you’re a high-risk driver, but prepare for the possibility of a negative customer service experience.
Compare the best online car insurance companies
Compare the 5 best digital-focused car insurance companies.
Branch car insurance review Apr 2021
Branch auto insurance takes a community-focused approach with friend referral discounts.
Compare crossover insurance
Make sure your insurance covers your crossover for wherever you want to take it.
Financial assistance for people affected by the coronavirus
Where to find relief if the COVID-19 outbreak hurts your income.
Compare pickup insurance
Pickup trucks can be expensive to insure. Find out how to save on pickup insurance.
Compare sedan insurance
Sedans are often the cheapest vehicles to insure, but watch out for high theft rates on popular models.
Chase car rental insurance: How does it work?
All Chase Visa credit cards offer car rental coverage.