We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
Rivian R1T car insurance rates
One of the first electric pickup trucks comes with exciting features and high insurance costs.
Compare car insurance quotes
Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare to see the cheapest rates in your area.
Rates are expected to be around $300 to $400 per month, though this could change over time as insurers gather more data about the new model. An insurance rate of $300 to $350 monthly gives the $61,000 R1T an annual insurance cost-to-base ratio of around 6%, which is slightly higher than the national average of 4%.
Compare car insurance for your Rivian R1T
How do I compare insurance for the Rivian R1T?
Insurance for the Rivian R1T is expected to be higher than average, even for pickup trucks.
- Body type. The Rivian R1T is built on a new pickup truck platform designed around its electric motor. Pickup trucks are one of the most expensive vehicles to insure, and the electric pickup truck will likely be even more expensive since it’s new to the market.
- Fuel. This pickup truck runs on electric power, with an expected range between 230 and 400 miles, depending on the battery you select. Electric cars often cost 3% to 5% more to insure than their gas-powered counterparts.
- Theft rates. There will be no official theft data for a few years after the R1T’s 2020 release, but you can reasonably expect low theft rates. Electric vehicles are generally stolen much less than gas powered vehicles, mainly because EVs are almost always parked in a garage or somewhere secure that’s close to a power source.
- Maintenance. The R1T is Rivian’s first vehicle, so maintenance costs could vary widely. Generally, electric vehicles require less annual maintenance than gas powered vehicles, which helps keep insurance rates down.
- Coverage. The Rivian R1T is expected to cost over $60,000, which means you’ll likely want to get a full coverage policy with comprehensive and collision coverage, in addition to liability coverage and gap coverage.
- Warranty. At the time of this writing, Rivian hasn’t released its warranty information for the R1T. The R1T is Rivian’s first automobile, and the company announced it would release warranty information right before the market release of the R1T.
- Manufacturer offer. It’s not yet known if Rivian will have a manufacturer offer, though it might not given it’s a new company. You may be able to take advantage of a $7,500 federal tax credit that brings the $69,000 base price down to $61,500.
Does the Rivian R1T qualify for discounts?
Yes, the Rivian R1T will qualify for various vehicle-specific discounts that are offered by most insurance companies.
- Electric vehicle discount
- Antilock brake discount
- Passive restraint discount
- Antitheft discount
- Seatbelt pretensioners
How reliable is the Rivian R1T?
Rivian doesn’t have any official safety or reliability ratings because it doesn’t have any vehicles on the market. The R1T and R1S are its first vehicles, both due to be released in 2020. It will take at least one year of reports before official ratings are released.
While electric cars generally score well on safety ratings, many pickups struggle to meet standards.
- Safety. There is no official safety information on Rivian vehicles, since the R1T and R1S are its first vehicles. Rivian is targeting the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety’s (IIHS) Top Safety Pick+ rating, as well as the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s (NHTSA) 5 star rating.
- Reliability. As with safety ratings, there won’t be any official reliability ratings from J.D. Power or other rating companies for at least one year after the R1T hits the market.
- Recalls. There’s a wait-and-see approach to whether Rivian will issue any recalls, since it hasn’t released any vehicles to the public yet.
The 2020 Rivian R1T is one of the first electric pickup trucks on the market, and is also Rivian’s first release as a car manufacturer. With an expected monthly insurance cost of between $300 and $350, it’s a reasonably priced electric vehicle to insure considering it’s a brand new model from a new startup company.
Insurance rates could vary quite a bit between companies, so be sure to compare different insurance providers to find the best rate for the Rivian R1T.
Frequently asked questions about the Rivian R1T
Read more on this topic
Noblr car insurance review Noblr car insurance offers monthly premium discounts based on your safe driving habits.
Compare carshare car insurance Make sure the free insurance offered by carshare services is enough protection for you.
Compare car insurance for self-employed drivers Self-employed drivers need to balance getting the best rates with protecting their business.
Compare Allstate car insurance discounts You could save well over 30% by taking advantage of Allstate’s numerous car insurance discounts.
Compare Liberty Mutual car insurance discounts Save extra money with Liberty Mutual by taking advantage of its numerous car insurance discounts.
Which gas should you use in your car? When should you use regular, premium or E85 gas? And what if you use the wrong kind?
How does car insurance cover additional drivers? Insurance should cover drivers listed on your policy, but double-check how your company handles unnamed drivers.
Compare car insurance with accidental death benefits An accidental death benefits rider can help cover funeral expenses after a fatal car accident.
Does driver assist technology affect car insurance? Driver assist technology won’t discount your insurance premium, but it could save your life.
Ferrari LaFerrari car insurance rates You can expect to pay a lot to buy — and insure — this hybrid hypercar from Ferrari.