Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
2020 Hyundai Santa Cruz car insurance rates
Hyundai’s first pickup truck comes with a low price and high insurance rates.
Compare car insurance quotes
Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare to see the cheapest rates in your area.
The average insurance cost for the Hyundai Santa Cruz is expected to be between $170 and $190 a month. This gives it an annual insurance cost-to-base ratio of between 10-12%. That’s nearly three times the national average of 4%, mostly because it’s a pickup truck.
Compare car insurance for your Hyundai Santa Cruz
How do I compare insurance for the Hyundai Santa Cruz?
The Hyundai Santa Cruz is a completely new model, not only in the Hyundai lineup, but in any market. This means that insurance companies won’t have any model-specific data to set rates for. It shares the same platform as the Hyundai Tucson, so expect insurance companies to look at the Tucson data in setting rates for the Santa Cruz.
- Body type. The Santa Cruz is the first crossover truck to hit the US market. SUVs generally have much lower insurance rates than trucks, but expect this new model to have rates more in line with pickups.
- Fuel. With an estimated fuel economy of over 30 mpg, the Santa Cruz will offer up quite a bit of savings at the pump compared to other trucks. But the more expensive battery parts could offset some of these savings if you need it repaired or replaced.
- Theft rates. The Hyundai Tucson has a low theft rate, so you can reasonably expect low theft rates for the Santa Cruz, which should help keep insurance rates lower.
- Maintenance. The similar model Tucson has an annual maintenance cost of $426, according to Repair Pal’s website. Lower maintenance costs are tied to lower insurance rates.
- Coverage. Coverage often costs more for newer cars, since you’ll likely want collision and comprehensive to protect the full cost of your new ride.
- Warranty. Hyundai offers a limited five-year, 60,000-mile warranty or a 10-year, 100,000-mile warranty. Both options include roadside assistance, which means you can skip that coverage on your insurance policy until the warranty lapses.
- Manufacturer offer. Hyundai hasn’t released its offers for the Santa Cruz at the time of this writing, though the carmaker usually releases incentives such as 0% APR financing on its newest models.
Does the Santa Cruz qualify for discounts?
Yes, if your Santa Cruz comes with at least one of the following safety items, then you should be eligible for a safe car discount.
- Antilock brakes
- Antitheft device
- Seatbelt pretensioners
- Airbag discount
- Passive restraint discount
How reliable is the Hyundai Santa Cruz?
It will take at least one year before official reliability and safety ratings are released on the Santa Cruz, but similar models offer some insight into how it will perform, especially the Hyundai Tucson.
- Safety. Hyundai routinely earns high marks for safety from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). The 2019 Tucson was awarded the Top Safety Pick+ by the IIHS, while the NHTSA gave it a 5-star rating for safety.
- Reliability. J.D. Power gave the 2019 Tucson a 78 of 100 overall score, with an 85 of 100 for reliability. Other Hyundai SUVs are also rated high for reliability, though the Santa Cruz will be Hyundai’s first truck.
- Recalls. Hyundai has recalled some of its Santa Fe models in the past, with the latest recall in 2017. Given the Santa Cruz is its first truck model, there is some risk of a recall happening.
The 2020 Hyundai Santa Cruz is the first pickup truck offered by the Korean carmaker. Its compact size and low price should appeal to citydwellers, but it will have high insurance rates due to it being a new model pickup truck.
Before adding your Santa Cruz to your current policy, be sure to compare different car insurance companies to find the lowest one
Frequently asked questions about the Hyundai Santa Cruz
Read more on this topic
Audi S4 insurance rates Get cheap car insurance quotes and find the best policies for your Audi S4.
Aston Martin DBX insurance rates Get cheap car insurance quotes and find the best policies for your Aston Martin DBX.
GoAuto car insurance review August 2020 Pocket an option for SR-22 coverage, but you might be compromising on service.
Compare the best auto and renters insurance bundles The best companies blend wide auto and renters coverage, free perks and strong value.
Compare RV rental insurance Most rental companies build in some coverage, but make sure you have enough before getting in the cockpit.
Honda Passport car insurance rates The Honda Passport’s high safety ratings and antitheft package may discount your insurance.
Ford Bronco car insurance rates The Bronco’s off-roading performance may mean an increased car insurance premium. But its safety features could be an upside.
Electra Meccanica Solo car insurance rates Insuring the new Electra Meccanica Solo presents a unique challenge.
States with the strictest driving laws If you're relaxed behind the wheel, you'll want to steer clear of these states with the strictest driving laws.
Compare the best bundling insurance companies for 2020 Your top choices for pairing the best savings, options and service when buying multiple insurance policies.