BankMobile Vibe Up review
Earn interest on your growing balance with this checking account — but it's currently waitlisted.
finder.com’s rating: 4.5 / 5.0
BankMobile Vibe Up Checking account comes with money management tools, rewards and a 0.5% APY on balances up to $15,000.99— but you must spend at least $300 a month to qualify for that rate and there’s currently a waitlist.
$0 per month
Up to 0.50%
Minimum deposit to open
Katia Iervasi is a staff writer who hails from Australia and now calls New York home. Her writing and analysis has been featured on sites like Forbes, Best Company and Financial Advisor around the world. Armed with a BA in Communication and a journalistic eye for detail, she navigates insurance and finance topics for Finder, so you can splash your cash smartly (and be a pro when the subject pops up at dinner parties).
The BankMobile Vibe Up checking account sets itself apart for its student rewards program and 0.5% APY on balances up to $15,000.99. But anything more than that earns a low interest rate of 0.01%, and cash deposits are inconvenient.
How do I join the waitlist?
If you’re interested in learning more about the account when it launches, follow these steps:
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- On the homepage, type in your cell phone number. Click Join Waitlist.
- A box will pop up confirming you’re in the system.
To open a VibeUp account, you must meet these requirements:
- A U.S. citizen or resident
- At least 18 years old
You’ll also need to provide:
- Personal and contact details
- A valid Social Security number
- Identifying documents, such as a valid government-issued ID and proof of your physical address
You’ll be able to upload these documents online, or you can mail hard copies to:
Customer Identification Program (CIP)
105 Munson Street
New Haven, CT 06511
What are the benefits of the Vibe Up checking account?
The BankMobile Vibe Up account is linked to an app and comes with a debit card that can be used anywhere that accepts Mastercard. It also has these unique benefits:
- High interest rate. You’ll earn a 0.5% APY on balances up to $15,000.99. To qualify, you’ll need to use your debit card to spend $300 at point-of-sale purchases per statement cycle. The interest is compounded and credited to your account monthly.
- No credit check. The bank doesn’t run a credit check, so it’s accessible to those with a credit score working against them.
- Rewards program. The Passport Recognition Program rewards students for academic achievements as well as smart financial behavior with deals, discounts and Instant Win games. Also, the bank occasionally runs competitions to pay off student loan debt.
- Supports wire transfers. BankMobile is one of a handful of online-only banks that allows you to wire and receive funds from outside banks, and you can receive one incoming wire for free each calendar month.
- Savings tools. Use the Money Meter and Snapshot features on the app to monitor your spending and set savings goals.
- Waived NSF fee. You can receive a courtesy refund on one overdraft/non-sufficient funds fee incurred each calendar month.
BankMobile’s ATM network and fees
BankMobile offers free access to 55,000 AllPoint ATMs worldwide. In the US, the ATMs are located in retailers like Costco, CVS, Kroger, Kmart Walgreens, Target and Safeway. To find one close to you, enter your ZIP code on the AllPoint website.
If you withdraw cash from an out-of-network ATM, you’ll need to pay a $3 fee. The ATM operator may also charge additional fees. The maximum daily ATM withdrawal limit is $500.
What should I look out for?
At the time of writing, the checking account has a waitlist. Consider these drawbacks before joining the waitlist:
- Low interest rate on balances over $15,000.99. You’ll earn 0.01% on the part of your balance that exceeds $15,000.99. So, for example, if you have $20,000 in your account, you’ll get 0.01% for the last $5,000.
- Ineligible purchases. The high APY comes with a few caveats, such as spending $300 or more per statement cycle — but ATM transactions and point-of-sale refunds are excluded.
- Some fees. While the bank charges no monthly maintenance or ATM fees, you’ll pay $25 to send wires, $15 to replace your card and up to $4.95 each time you deposit cash instore.
- No live chat function. Though it’s an online-only bank, BankMobile offers no live chat option.
- Inconvenient cash deposits. If you want to add cash to your card, you’ll need to head to a participating GreenDot retailer or mail a money order to BankMobile.
- Lack of overdraft protection. The bank won’t block checks, ACH transfers and card transactions that will overdraw your account.
- Spending limits. You can spend up to $2,500 per day between swipe-and-sign purchases and cash withdrawals. For PIN-based debit card transactions, like instore purchases and ATM withdrawals, the daily spending limit is $500.
The account is currently waitlisted. If you want your money to start working for you now, compare checking accounts.
Compare with other checking accounts
Compare BankMobile’s Vibe Up account with other popular checking accounts by comparing minimum opening deposit, ATMs and overdraft fees.
How do I deposit and withdraw my money?
There are many different ways to deposit and withdraw funds from your Vibe Up account.
- Direct deposit. If you enroll in direct deposit, a portion of your paycheck or government benefits will go straight to your Vibe Up account.
- Incoming ACH transfers. Transfer funds to your Vibe Up account from an external bank.
- Incoming wire transfers. Your first incoming wire each month is free, but you’ll pay an unspecified amount for any additional incoming wires.
- Internal transfers. Move money into your Vibe Up account from other BankMobile accounts.
- Cash deposits. Top up your card with up to $500 in cash at participating Green Dot retailers (including Walmart).
- Money orders. Mail money orders to BankMobile, PO Box 445, Phoenixville, PA 19460
- Checks. Deposit mobile checks via the app, or mail paper checks to the above address.
- Western Union Direct to Bank transfer. Send money to your BankMobile account using Western Union’s service.
- ATM withdrawals. Dip your card into any AllPoint ATM for free, or pay $3 to withdraw cash from out-of-network ATMs.
- Cash back with merchant transactions. You can get cash back from PIN-based debit card purchases at many retailers.
- Teller withdrawals. Head to your local Customers Bank branch to withdraw cash.
- Outgoing ACH transfers. Transfer funds out of your Vibe Up account to an external bank.
- Outgoing wire transfers. Outgoing wire transfers are $25 each.
- Internal transfers. Move money from your Vibe Up account to anotherBankMobile account.
Frequently asked questions
Checking account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top checking accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: monthly fees, the ease at which monthly fees can be waived, the breadth of ATM access, ATM and overdraft fees, and customer service.