Fleet van insurance
If you own several vans for your business, find out how a fleet van insurance policy might help save you time and money.
A fleet van insurance policy will offer all the protection of traditional van insurance but could save you time by having to take out individual policies for each van. Check out our guide to see how commercial fleet van insurance policies work and if this cover could benefit you and your business.
What is fleet van insurance?
Fleet van insurance works by protecting several vans or multiple drivers under one policy instead of having to take out separate van insurance policies. An insurance provider will have its own guidelines as to the minimum and maximum number of vans that can be insured under a fleet policy.
With fleet van insurance, drivers will be allowed to drive every van insured under the policy with some insurers. Some fleet van policies may not include this “any driver” cover so drivers will only be allowed to drive the vans where they have been registered as a named driver.
If you own more than one van, selecting a fleet van insurance policy could help to save time and money that you might otherwise spend taking out separate policies for each van. You’ll also typically be able to enhance your policy with optional extras suited to your needs.
Levels of cover
The minimum level of cover for all drivers in the UK is third party motor insurance. Just like traditional van insurance, fleet van insurance also offers:
- Third party. If you’re responsible for causing an accident, you’ll be covered for damage to third party vehicles or property. It won’t cover any damage to your own van.
- Third party, fire and theft. This will give the same level of cover as third party but will also provide protection against any fire damage to your van or theft of your van.
- Comprehensive. This gives the same protection as the lower levels as well as protecting your vehicle against accidental damage and vandalism. It might be cheaper than third party or third party fire and theft, so always check.
What is covered by fleet van insurance?
Fleet van insurance is the same as any other standard single van insurance policy. The main difference is that a fleet van insurance policy can insure several, possibly even hundreds of vans under just one policy. While it’s less hassle to take out a single fleet policy, it can sometimes be cheaper than separate policies, but not always.
Features and benefits will vary depending on the insurance provider so you’ll need to do your research to find a policy that offers you the right protection. Generally, fleet van insurance will cover a variety of commercial uses such as courier or haulage services and also carriage of goods, such as trade equipment being transported between jobs and contracts.
What isn’t covered?
Common fleet van insurance exclusions are much the same as standard single van insurance exclusions, which include:
- Driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Driving a van that isn’t roadworthy
- Modifying a van without informing the insurer
- Driving without a valid licence or driving an unregistered van
- Driving a van while it’s overloaded
- Driving a van with damaged tyres
- Hiring out your van
- Failing to report all accidents
- Failing to update any personal details
- Failing to pay for your premiums
How can I cut the cost of fleet van insurance?
If you’re planning to insure several vans under one fleet van policy, a few simple tips may help with your decision:
- Cover levels. Check whether you can insure each van at different cover levels.
- Features and benefits. Compare the features and benefits of fleet van insurance with separate van insurance policies.
- Policy document. Check the terms and conditions to understand how you might be affected if one of the named drivers is involved in an accident. Will your no claims bonus be affected? And if so, how?
- Affordability. Can you afford to pay the insurance premiums for all the vans in one go? Consider your cash flow as you’ll be getting one bill at renewal rather than separate and likely smaller bills for each van.
- Shop around. Do your research to see whether you’ll save any money with a fleet van insurance policy. In certain situations, you may end up paying more despite fleet van insurance seeming like a hassle-free option. However, keep in mind that the cheapest policy isn’t always the best policy so check the cover details carefully.
Pros and cons of fleet van insurance
- Save time by insuring several vans under just one fleet van policy
- Renew the insurance for all your vans on the same date with fleet van cover
Frequently asked questions
Read more on this topic
Best car insurance for over 50s in the UK right now We've reviewed and rated the best car insurance providers out there in the UK for over 50s.
Mazda RX-8 insurance group and cost Find out the average cost of car insurance for a Mazda RX-8 based on the driver's age and location.
Peugeot 107 insurance group and cost Find out the average cost of car insurance for a Peugeot 107 based on the specific model version, the driver's age and their location.
Windscreen cover Discover why taking out windscreen replacement cover for your car could save you pennies in the long run.
Hyundai i20 insurance group and cost Find out the average cost of car insurance for a Hyundai i20 based on the specific model version, the driver's age and their location.
Mazda MX-5 insurance group and cost Find out the average cost of insurance for a Mazda MX-5 based on the specific model version, the driver's age and their location.
Mazda 3 insurance group and cost Compare the average cost of car insurance for a Mazda 3 based on the model version, the driver's age and their location.
Car insurance excess Your comprehensive guide to car insurance excess, what it is and when it needs to be paid.
Compare car insurance by make and model We compare and break down insurance prices by brand, car model and vehicle specs.
Nissan Note insurance group and cost Find out the average cost of insurance for a Nissan Note in the UK based on the specific model version, the driver's age and their location.