Direct Line for Business van insurance review
Check out our analysis of van insurance through Direct Line for Business, which offers customers cover for both private and commercial use.
Direct Line for Business van insurance comes in two cover levels. You can use its comprehensive policy for either private or business use, and it includes cover for tools, personal belongings, basic EU cover and up to nine years’ no claims discount.
Whether you use your van to transport tools or pursue your passion, Direct Line aims to keep you on the road when things go wrong. Take a look at our breakdown to see if Direct Line for Business can offer you a good deal.
What is Direct Line for Business?
Direct Line for Business was set up in 2007 and offers a range of insurance specifically designed for small businesses. As well as van insurance, it also offers shop, office, home business, hotel, hair and beauty, and landlord insurance as well as others.
Direct Line for Business is part of Direct Line Group, one of the UK’s leading car insurance providers that was founded in 1985.
You’ll need to go to the Direct Line for Business website for a van insurance quote as the insurance provider isn’t listed on any comparison websites.
What are Direct Line’s levels of cover?
To be on UK roads, all drivers are legally required to have at least third party van insurance. Direct Line doesn’t offer third party, but it does offer two higher levels of cover.
- Third party, fire and theft (TPFT). If you are responsible for causing an accident, you’ll be protected for damage to other people’s vehicles or property. You’ll also have protection against any fire damage or theft of your van.
- Comprehensive. This is the highest level of cover on offer through Direct Line and will provide the same protection as TPFT as well as insuring your van against accidental damage and vandalism. It’s always worth checking the cost of comprehensive as it can be cheaper than third party or TPFT.
Direct Line offers a range of additional protection you can bolt onto your policy, including the following:
- UK breakdown cover. Direct Line offers multiple levels of Green Flag breakdown cover.
- EU Breakdown cover. Option for protection when driving in Europe.
- Replacement vehicle hire (comprehensive only). Guaranteed hire vehicle for up to 14 days or 21 days with replacement vehicle hire plus.
- Motor legal protection. Legal costs up to £100,000. There has to be a better than 50% chance that your claim will succeed.
- No-claims discount protection. Your No Claim Discount won’t be affected by one claim made during the current period of cover, or by two claims arising in the three preceding years of insurance. If you have at least 4 years’ No Claim Discount, you and all named drivers are at least 25, and all have no fault claims or convictions within the past three years, then you’ll be eligible to buy No Claim Discount Protection. You’ll no longer be eligible for this cover if claims exceed the above numbers. Your premium may still increase following a claim
What is my excess?
Your insurance excess is the amount of money you will need to pay towards a claim. Your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than this amount. A compulsory excess amount might vary depending on the age of your van and your driving experience.
You can also add a voluntary excess. You’ll have the option of adding or increasing the voluntary excess – which will affect your premium.
What is the claims process for Direct Line for Business?
You should call the Direct Line claims line on 0345 301 2882 to make a claim.
The claims line is open Mondays to Fridays 8am – 9pm, Saturdays 9am – 5pm and Sundays 10am – 5pm.
You will need to provide the following information:
- Your personal details and policy number
- Details about the incident such as when, where and how it happened
- Details about any tools or equipment damaged or stolen, if applicable
- Names and contact details of anyone involved in the incident, including passengers, third parties and witnesses
- The makes, models and registration numbers of all vehicles involved
- Third party insurance details and policy numbers
- Crime reference number, if applicable
- Digital photographs, if available
It’s vital that you let your insurer know about an incident as soon as possible, even if it’s not your fault. Failure to do this could result in a rejected claim later on.
Direct Line for Business van insurance pros and cons
- No admin fees if you want to make changes to your policy
- Third-party EU cover included with comprehensive cover
- Up to five named drivers on one policy
- Tailored e-documents that show only the cover you have
- Direct Line claims line is not open 24/7
- No replacement vehicle hire as standard
- You will have to pay an admin fee if you decide to cancel 14 days or more after your policy’s start date
More guides on Finder
Car insurance group 33
Find out which cars are placed in insurance group 33 and how much it might cost to insure them by driver age and location.
Car insurance group 27
Find out the cars listed in insurance group 27 and how much it costs to insure them.
The UK’s best home emergency cover in 2020
We’ve compiled a list of some of the best home emergency cover providers in the UK and the cover options available.
Best backpacker insurance companies in 2020
We’ve compiled a list of some of the best backpacker insurance providers in the UK and some top tips on how to get the best deal on your policy.
Temporary car insurance for new drivers
If you just passed your driving test and are looking to save on insurance, you can consider a temporary policy for new drivers.
Temporary car insurance for learner drivers
Temporary car insurance for learner drivers makes it cheaper and easier to practice for your driving test using your friend’s or family member’s car.
List of cars in insurance group 20
Find out what cars are in car insurance group 20 and how much it might cost to insure them based on the specific model version, the driver’s age and their location.
List of cars in insurance group 19
Find out what cars are listed in insurance group 19 and the average cost of insurance based on the driver’s age and their location.
List of cars in insurance group 14
Find out how much it might cost to insure a vehicle in car insurance group 14 based on your age and location.