Temporary van insurance
Need a van for a few days? Find out the benefits of choosing a temporary van insurance policy.
A normal annual van insurance policy might not be suitable if you only need a van for a short period of time, so choosing temporary van cover instead might be more worthwhile. Read our guide to compare temporary van insurance and discover the benefits to getting cover only when you need it.
Compare temporary van insurance
What is temporary van insurance?
All drivers are legally required to have motor insurance to be on UK roads as it provides financial protection if you’re involved in an accident. It can cover against injuries as well as damage to property for you and others. Van insurance can also offer financial protection if your van is vandalised, stolen or damaged by fire. But you may not need cover for the whole year, especially if you’re only using the van for a specific job, such as moving home. Therefore, it’s worth considering only paying for insurance when you need it, such as short term van insurance.
Temporary van insurance can offer drivers comprehensive cover for a relatively short period of time, from as little as one hour up to 28 days and cost much less than an annual policy.
What are the benefits of short term van insurance?
Temporary van insurance can offer several benefits over a standard annual van insurance policy. Consider the following:
- Full cover. Comprehensive cover on a short term basis allows you to save money by only paying for the cover you need, without compromising on protection.
- Flexible policy terms. If you need a van for a particular errand, then being able to choose how long you need cover, for example, from a few hours up to a month, offers the most flexibility.
- No-claims bonus protection. Adding a temporary van insurance policy to the van owner’s annual insurance policy will provide added protection and peace of mind. If you need to make a claim, you would claim through your own temporary policy, which wouldn’t affect the van owner’s annual policy or any built up no-claims bonus they may have.
- Save money. By only paying for what you need, you’ll save money rather than simply having an annual policy.
- Immediate cover. As soon as you decide you need cover, insurance can be activated almost instantly online, provided you have completed the necessary application process.
- Business use as standard. Business use for the van may be included as standard with a policy. Provided the van is not used for carrying goods or passengers for hire, most other business usage is allowed.
Who is eligible for temporary van insurance?
An insurer will have its own set of eligibility criteria for temporary van insurance. Generally, it is available to drivers who have held a driver’s licence for at least 6 months or if a driver is older than 25. However, some insurers, for example, may stipulate that the driver of the van must be older than 18 years old.
The van being used should also be no more than 3.5 tonnes, registered in Great Britain, Northern Ireland or the Isle of Man and have no more than 8 seats.
Check the insurer’s eligibility criteria carefully to first understand if it can offer you and the van cover before proceeding with the application further.
How much does short term insurance cost?
The cost of temporary van insurance depends on a number of factors relating to you, your age, location and driving experience as well as the van’s make, model and age amongst others.
But keep in mind that the cheapest van insurance policy may not offer you the best cover. Shop around and remember to compare the benefits, features and conditions of each policy rather than looking at the price alone. By understanding what the policy offers in relation to what you require, you could end up saving money.
Pros and cons of temporary van insurance
- Save money on a temporary policy compared to an annual policy.
- Comprehensive cover often as standard.
- Flexible cover options to only pay for cover that you know you’ll use.
Frequently asked questions