If you’re keen on the idea of home insurance that’s targeted at women, Sheilas’ Wheels could work for you.
Although Sheilas’ Wheels provides insurance for everyone, its policies are particularly aimed at women, and especially those with children.
Sheilas' Wheels home insurance
Who is Sheilas’ Wheels?
Sheilas’ Wheels is an online and phone-based insurer established in 2005 by UK businessman Sir Peter Wood, who also founded Direct Line and esure. Originally launched to provide car insurance for women, Sheilas’ Wheels now caters to everyone and offers car (including multi-car), home and travel insurance.
The company offers family-friendly insurance – for example, car cover includes counselling to cope with the aftermath of a road accident for any member of the family.
It aims to provide insurance at a low cost with great customer service through its call centres and live chat.
What does Sheilas’ Wheels home insurance cover?
Sheilas’ Wheels home insurance policies cover your building, its contents or both against certain risks; these include:
- Theft or attempted theft
- Falling trees or branches
- Subsidence or heave or landslip
- Breakage or collapse of TV and radio aerials, masts and satellite dishes
- Escape of water/burst pipes
- Escape of oil
- Impact by a vehicle or animal
- Accidental damage
- Aircraft and other airborne devices or articles dropped from them
- Riot, civil commotion, labour and political disturbances, vandalism and acts of malicious people
Full details are on the Sheilas’ Wheels website.
What optional extras can I get with Sheilas’ Wheels home insurance?
- Family legal protection. Access to lawyers for legal issues such as employment, contract or school admission disputes; personal injuries, property protection; tax, jury service and court attendance. (Free for the first year if you buy combined buildings and contents insurance.)
- Home emergency cover. This providers repair for an emergency within the home, including boiler or heating system; drainage or security. (Free for the first year if you buy combined buildings and contents insurance.)
- Personal possessions cover. Cover for accidental loss, damage and theft of your personal possessions while they are temporarily removed from your home and for up to 60 consecutive days in the rest of the world.
- Pest cover. This extension will cover the cost of callout and extermination fees if you suffer from a pest infestation.
- Annual travel insurance. You can be covered for an unlimited number of worldwide trips per year, for up to a maximum of 45 days per trip.
What benefits do I get with a Sheilas’ Wheels home insurance policy?
Here are some of the key benefits:
- 24-hour domestic claims service. You can contact the claims line 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- 24-hour legal advice line. You can seek advice about any legal problem that arises within the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man.
- New-for-old contents cover. You can have anything covered under contents insurance that’s lost or damaged replaced with a brand new equivalent.
- Seasonal cover. Sheilas’ Wheels will increase your contents cover up to an extra 15% in the four weeks before and after a special event, such as a religious festival.
What will my excess be?
An excess is the amount that you are required to contribute towards a claim. There is a standard policy excess, plus you can choose the level of your voluntary excess (the higher it is, the lower your premiums are likely to be but you’ll have to pay more in the event of a claim).
The Sheilas’ Wheels policy booklet says an excess for subsidence or water escape claims may apply alongside the standard or voluntary excess.
More information can be found in your policy schedule.
What is the Sheilas’ Wheels claims process?
Depending on your policy, there are dedicated phone lines for each one. Sheilas’ Wheels will confirm whether your policy covers for you for the incident. Ensure you have your policy details to hand when you call.
All the helplines listed here are open around the clock, every day.
To make a claim, call the claims helpline on 0345 604 4215.
To contact the legal advice service, contact 0345 604 4225.
If you have home emergency cover, you can call 0345 604 4226.
To make a claim on your family legal protection policy, you can call 0345 604 4225.
To make a claim on your pest cover policy, you can call 0345 604 4227.