NFU Mutual home insurance review
If you need tailored home insurance for your valuables, NFU Mutual may be right for you.
NFU Mutual offers two levels of home insurance cover, with policies designed for those with high-value property or rare items such as fine art or antiques. It also has a 5-star rating from Defaqto for both its Home and Lifestyle policies and its High Net Worth home insurance policy.
See how it works and compare your options now.
What is NFU Mutual?
NFU Mutual is the trading name of the National Farmers Union Mutual Insurance Society Limited. It was founded in 1910 and now underwrites more than £1.5 billion in annual premiums for rural UK communities.
What company underwrites the home insurance from NFU Mutual?
NFU Mutual insurance is underwritten by the National Farmers Union Mutual Insurance Society Limited.
What are NFU Mutual’s cover options?
NFU Mutual offers buildings insurance and contents insurance, as well as two types of policies for combined buildings and contents insurance. These are:
- NFU Mutual Home and Lifestyle Insurance: A comprehensive buildings and contents policy.
- NFU Mutual Bespoke Home Insurance. This is a policy designed for those with valuable property, including contents, fine art and antiques worth over £100,000.
What is covered under my policy?
NFU Mutual offers the following level of cover on its buildings and contents insurance policies:
|Cover benefits||NFU Mutual Home and Lifestyle||NFU Mutual Bespoke|
|Alternative accommodation||£75,000, or 25% of insured rebuild cost (whichever is higher)||Sum insured amount|
|Home emergency||Optional||Up to £1,500 per claim (included)|
|Accidental damage cover||X||✓|
|Trace and access of water and oil||Up to £10,000||Unlimited|
|Personal liability||Up to £2.5 million||Up to £10 million|
|Disability renovation||X||Up to £50,000|
|Damage caused by pets||X||£5,000|
|Contents||Up to £100,000||Unlimited|
|Fly tipping cover||X||Up to £50,000|
|Cash in home||Up to £2,500||Up to £10,000|
|Key and lock cover||✓||✓|
|Garden cover||Up to £5,000||Up to £50,000|
Depending on your policy, you can also add the following cover:
- Personal valuables cover (including fine art and other high-value items over £10,000)
- Home emergency cover (included in Bespoke policy)
- Family legal cover
- Cover for additional properties
- Small business cover if you work from home
What is my excess?
When you make an insurance claim, before you are paid out you will first need to pay an agreed amount yourself, known as the excess. Insurers will not pay out on a claim that is less than the total of the excess.
With NFU Mutual home insurance, you can choose to pay a voluntary excess on top of your normal excess. This has the benefit of reducing the cost of your ongoing insurance premiums, but it means that you will have to pay the higher excess amount any time you make a claim.
You can find more information about your excess in your insurance policy document.
How much is this going to cost me?
The cost of home insurance varies depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your level of cover. The type of policy you get, as well as any additional cover options, will affect the overall cost of your insurance.
- Your sum insured. This is the amount you are covered for in the event that your home or contents need to be rebuilt or replaced. The higher your sum insured, the more you will pay for your premiums, but the more you will be covered for in the event that you need to make a claim.
- Your location. Where you live also plays a role in determining the cost of your premium. Some areas are more at risk to things like flooding, fire and theft, which will be reflected in the cost of your insurance.
- Your house. The size, style and structure of your home is also factored into the cost of your insurance.
- Security. You can generally reduce how much you pay for your policy by improving the security of your home. This can include cameras, fences and locks.
What is the claims process for NFU Mutual?
If you need to make a claim, you can phone your local NFU Mutual branch during regular office hours, or you can call the 24-hour emergency helpline. You will need to provide NFU Mutual with:
- Your policy information and number
- When the incident took place
- Details of the incident
- A report of the damage done to your home or contents
NFU Mutual pros and cons
- 5-star ratings from Defaqto
- Tailored policy for high net worth customers
- 24-hour emergency helpline