John Lewis Finance home insurance review
We've checked the home insurance cover options from John Lewis Finance, which can protect the average semi as well as the high-value home.
John Lewis Finance’s home insurance is available in four different cover levels to suit a range of requirements and budgets. Its building insurance and contents insurance can be purchased separately or combined for comprehensive cover.
Its Premier policy, which includes unlimited building and contents cover, is 5* Defaqto-rated, along with the Specialist home insurance policy. What’s more, online customers could receive up to a 20% discount on home policies. Here’s what else we think you should know about John Lewis Finance home insurance.
Who is John Lewis Finance?
John Lewis has been selling products on the high street for more than 150 years. It has since branched out to create John Lewis Finance, which offers a range of financial products to customers such as credit cards, loans, foreign currency, money transfers and insurance.
It has been named by Which? as a recommended provider of home insurance. It also offers Which? Recommended car cover, as well as travel, pet, wedding, event and life insurance.
John Lewis Financial Services Ltd is a trading name of John Lewis plc, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
What are John Lewis Finance’s cover options?
John Lewis Finance offers separate buildings insurance and contents insurance, though these can be combined for complete home cover.
John Lewis Finance has four different cover options:
- Essential home insurance. Lowest level of home cover that includes up to £60,000 of alternative accommodation cover and the option to enhance the policy with optional extras.
- Plus home insurance. Flexible home cover with standard accidental damage cover included.
- Premier home insurance. Complete cover with unlimited buildings and contents cover.
- Specialist home insurance. Bespoke home cover for unique homes.
What is covered under my policy?
John Lewis Finance’s home insurance policies feature a range of cover benefits, which include the following:
|Buildings sum insured||£400,000||£1 million||Unlimited||Bespoke|
|Contents sum insured||£50,000||£75,000||Unlimited||Bespoke|
|Accidental damage cover||x||✓ Standard||✓ Full cover||✓ Full cover|
|Personal possessions cover||x||x||✓ Up to £2,500|
with option to increase
|Contents sum insured|
|Matching sets cover||x||£10,000||Unlimited||Unlimited|
John Lewis Finance offers a range of additional protection to bolt onto your home insurance policy, including:
- Accidental damage cover
- Personal possessions cover
- Bicycle cover
- Garden cover
- Legal cover
- Alternative accommodation cover
- Home emergency cover
What is my excess?
Your insurance excess is the amount of money you will need to pay towards a claim. Your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than this amount.
You’ll find details about any compulsory or voluntary excesses in your policy document.
How much is this going to cost me?
There are a number of factors that can affect the cost of your John Lewis Finance home insurance premium, including:
- The cover option you choose. Enhancing your buildings, contents and combined cover policies with optional extras will provide more features and broader cover than John Lewis Finance’s standard cover options, which will likely be reflected in the price.
- Your sum insured. The greater the amount you wish to insure your home or contents for, the more you can expect to pay for cover.
- Your home. The age of your home and the materials from which it is constructed can influence its ability to withstand damage.
- Where your home is located. Certain risks, for example storm or theft, are more prevalent in certain areas and insurers will take this into consideration when calculating your premium.
- Security. Security measures such as an alarm system and deadbolts can act as a deterrent to thieves and therefore reduce the cost of your cover.
What is the claims process for John Lewis Finance?
You should call the John Lewis Finance claims line on 0330 102 2749. Lines are open Monday to Friday 8am – 8pm and Saturday 9am – 5pm.
If you have Specialist home insurance, you will need to call 0800 916 6890. Lines are open Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm.
You will likely need to provide the following information when making a claim:
- Your policy details and personal contact details.
- The date of the incident.
- Details such as the cause of the incident.
- The value of any lost or damaged items being claimed for.
- Names and addresses of any other people involved in or responsible for the incident, including details of injuries.
You may also need to provide the following additional information:
- Original purchase receipts, invoices, manual booklets or photographs, bank statements, utility bills, plans or deeds of your property.
- Purchase dates and location of lost or damaged property.
- Confirmation from a suitably qualified expert that the damaged property you intend to claim back for is beyond repair.
It’s vital that you let your insurer know about an incident as soon as possible. Failure to do this could result in a rejected claim later on.
John Lewis Finance pros and cons
- John Lewis Finance’s Premier and Specialist home insurance policies are 5*-Defaqto-rated.
- John Lewis Finance’s different cover options suit different requirements and budgets.
- John Lewis Finance’s home insurance policies can be enhanced with extra protection.
Read more on this topic
View home insurance companies: A to Z listing A comprehensive list of home insurance companies in the UK.
Aviva landlord insurance review Aviva landlord insurance is designed to protect your property inside and out. See how it measures up in our review.
buzzvault home insurance review Insurtech buzzvault aims to save customers money on their home insurance by using a video survey and a digital "vault" of their possessions.
Student contents insurance If you study away from home, read our guide to find out whether you need student contents insurance.
Simplesurance discount codes You can save money on electronics insurance with these Simplesurance discount codes.
Premierline landlord insurance review Whether you're a residential or commercial landlord, Premierline offers landlord insurance to cover a range of buildings and situations.
Will home insurance cover foundation damage? Find out whether your home insurance covers damage to your property's foundations and compare quotes too.
Insuring your first home Find out everything you need to know about home insurance as a first-time homeowner and compare quotes too.
Cancelling home insurance Our guide walks you through cancelling your home insurance. Find out whether it's worth it and compare quotes here too.
How much is home insurance? Find out what you should be paying in home insurance, why your costs might be high and get tips on lowering costs.