If you’re looking for home insurance, the contents and building policies from esure are worth considering.
Home insurance is there to protect your property and its contents from everything life throws your way, and you’ll want to find the best policy for the right price. We’ve highlighted the key benefits of esure’s cover, as well as the background of this well-known insurer.
esure home insurance
Who is esure?
esure is an online and phone-based insurance company established in 2000 by UK businessman Sir Peter Wood, who also founded Direct Line insurance in 1985. Originally launched to provide home and car insurance, esure now also offers travel insurance.
The company aims to offer highly rated car and home insurance at a low cost, with great customer service through its call centres and live chat. esure has over 2 million customers, of whom 300,000 have home insurance.
What does esure’s home insurance cover?
esure’s home contents and/or building policies offer cover for your home against certain risks. These include:
- Theft or attempted theft
- Falling trees or branches
- Subsidence or heave or landslip
- Breakage or collapse of TV and radio aerials, masts and satellite dishes
- Escape of water/burst pipes
- Escape of oil
- Impact by a vehicle or animal
- Accidental damage
- Aircraft and other airborne devices or articles dropped from them
- Riot, civil commotion, labour and political disturbances, vandalism and acts of malicious people
Full details are on the esure website, but we’ve highlighted some of the key benefits below.
What benefits do I get with an esure home insurance policy?
Here are some of the key benefits:
- 24-hour domestic claims service. You can contact the claims line 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- 24-hour legal advice line. You can seek advice about any legal problem that arises within the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man.
- New-for-old contents cover. You can have anything covered under contents insurance that’s lost or damaged replaced with a brand new equivalent.
- Special events contents cover. esure will increase your contents cover up to 15% before and after special events such as weddings, religious festivals and births.
- Nursing home cover. This protects any contents that are lost or damaged after being removed by you from a locked room in a nursing home.
What optional extras can I get with esure home insurance?
- Family legal protection. Access to lawyers for legal issues such as employment, contract or school admission disputes; personal injuries, property protection; tax, jury service and court attendance. (Free for the first year if you buy combined buildings and contents insurance.)
- Home emergency cover. This providers repair for an emergency within the home, including boiler or heating system; drainage or security. (Free for the first year if you buy combined buildings and contents insurance.)
- Personal possessions cover. Cover for accidental loss, damage and theft of your personal possessions while they are temporarily removed from your home and for up to 60 consecutive days in the rest of the world.
- Pest cover. This extension will cover the cost of callout and extermination fees if you suffer from a pest infestation.
- Annual travel insurance. You can be covered for unlimited number of worldwide trips per year, for up to a maximum of 45 days per trip.
What will my excess be?
An excess is the amount that you are required to contribute towards a claim. There is a standard policy excess, plus you can choose the level of your voluntary excess (the higher it is, the lower your premiums are likely to be but you’ll have to pay more in the event of a claim).
esure’s policy booklet says a further excess for subsidence or escape of water may apply alongside the standard or voluntary excess. Full details are in the policy schedule.
What is the esure claims process?
All the helplines listed here are open around the clock, every day.
To make a claim, call the claims helpline on 0345 601 7072; esure will confirm whether your policy covers for you for the incident. Ensure you have your policy details to hand when you call.
To contact the legal advice line, call 0345 601 7070.
If you have home emergency cover, you can call 0345 601 7624.
To make a claim on your family legal protection policy, call 0345 601 7070.
To make a claim on your pest cover policy, you can call 0345 601 7073.