Ford S-MAX insurance group
Compare car insurance costs for your Ford S-MAX based on your age and location.
The Ford S-MAX is technically a seven-seater SUV, although it boasts a unique design. It’s less cumbersome than a traditional SUV and more versatile too. This means it doesn’t really have too many rivals. This vehicle handles well and boasts all-wheel drive too. In this guide, you’ll find out how much it costs to insure based on the age and location of the driver.
What insurance group does the Ford S-MAX fall under?
Every vehicle on the road is given a specific insurance group that ranges from 1 to 50. The higher the number, the more it will cost to insure. Ford S-MAX models are found in insurance groups ranging from 16 to 34, so costs will vary significantly between different Ford S-MAX insurance groups. As an example, a 30-year-old driver in an average postcode could pay around £882 for cover on a Ford S-MAX 2.0 TDCi AWD Vignale 5d Powershift that is in insurance group 26 or around £902 for a Ford S-MAX ST-Line Lux Pack 2.0 Ford EcoBlue 240PS auto 5d that is in insurance group 34. This clearly shows the impact of the premium pricing that occurs when one car is in a much higher insurance group.
Ford S-MAX insurance cost by location
There are several other factors that determine the cost of your car insurance premiums, one of the biggest being your location.
To show the potential impact of your home address, here are some average quotes for a 30-year-old living in three different locations. The quotes are for a Ford S-MAX GT Line 1.5 BlueHDi 130 S&S 5d.
- Expensive: £1,033 (London SE1)
- Average: £902 (Newcastle NE1)
- Cheap: £700 (Galashiels TD1)
Which factors affect my Ford S-MAX insurance rate?
Along with insurance group, here are the other key factors that have the biggest impact on your insurance premium costs:
- Engine type and capacity. In general, the larger the engine, the more you’ll pay for your car insurance. For example, it may cost £948 for insurance for a Ford S-MAX 2.0 TDCi Zetec 5d, while you may pay £1,074 for a Ford S-MAX Vignale 2.0 Ford EcoBlue 240PS auto 5d. That’s a £126 difference based solely on the type of engine.
- Driver location. Insurers use your home address to determine the level of risk that your car may be stolen or involved in an accident, and this affects the cost of insurance. For example, a 30-year-old in central London may pay £1,033 for insurance for a Ford S-MAX ST-Line 2.0 Ford EcoBlue 190PS AWD auto 5d, while the same 30-year-old in Newcastle may only pay £902. So, Londoners would pay £131 extra per year to insure this car based purely on their location.
- Driver age. The youngest drivers will pay the most for car insurance because they are the most likely to make a claim. As an example, the average 20-year-old driver in London may pay £1,797 for the Ford S-MAX ST-Line 2.0 Duratorq TDCi 180PS 5d, while the average 40-year-old Londoner will only pay £941. So, in this example, the younger driver would have to pay almost double to insure this car.
Other factors that influence the cost of your insurance include the following:
- The model of your car
- The age of your car
- Your car’s safety rating
- Your car’s security features
- Your annual mileage
- Your driving history and activity
- Your no claim discount
- Your marital status
- Your credit history
- Your occupation
How can I save on my Ford S-MAX premiums?
Car insurance doesn’t need to break the bank. There are various things you can do to lower the cost of your insurance.
- Limit your annual mileage (where possible). If you can limit your mileage by occasionally deciding to travel on foot or by public transport, it can help to save on your premiums.
- Pay annually rather than monthly. Some insurers charge interest if you pay monthly. You can avoid this by paying annually.
- Install extra safety precautions. By adding additional safety measures, you lessen the risk of making a claim on your vehicle. For that reason, insurers are happy to lower your premium when you do so.
- Shop around for the best deal every year. Don’t blindly settle for the renewal price offered to you. There will usually be cheaper options offered by competitors, so browse the price comparison websites for the best deal.
Ford S-MAX facts and trivia
- The Ford S-Max was introduced at the 2006 Geneva Motor Show.
- This vehicle won the 2007 European Car Of The Year
This large SUV is popular, reliable and even award-winning! It costs a lot to insure though, as do most of the cars in this class. Thankfully, there are tips in this guide that will help you keep your premiums lower.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Ford C-MAX insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Ford C-MAX falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Ford B-MAX insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Ford B-MAX falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Ford Puma insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Ford Puma falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Ford Ka insurance group and cost
Read our comprehensive guide and find out how much it may cost you to insure a Ford Ka and how to save on your car insurance premiums.
Ford Fiesta insurance group and cost
Find out how much it might cost you to insure a Ford Fiesta and how to save on your car insurance premiums.