Ford Mustang insurance group
Compare car insurance costs for your Ford Mustang based on the specific model version, the driver's age and their location.
The Ford Mustang is the flagship sports car offered by Ford. As with all high-performance vehicles, you can usually expect to pay more for your car insurance. In this guide, you’ll learn all you need to know about finding insurance for this car.
What insurance group does the Ford Mustang fall under?
Before they are made available to buy, all vehicles are given a specific insurance group that ranges from 1 (cheapest to insure) to 50 (most expensive). This helps insurers to determine the cost of your premium. Ford Mustang models range from insurance group 39 to 45, meaning the car insurance will be on the expensive side.
However, the costs will vary between different Ford Mustang insurance groups. This is due to the different factors related to the vehicle. As an example, a 30-year-old driver in an average postcode could pay around £993 for cover on a Ford Mustang 2.3 EcoBoost 291 2d that is in insurance group 10 or around £1,112 for a Ford Mustang 5.0 V8 55 Edition auto 2d that is in insurance group 45. This comparison is a solid example of the higher premiums you’ll face when your chosen model sits in a higher insurance group.
Ford Mustang insurance cost by location
Your address plays a significant role in the calculations used to determine your insurance premium. To highlight the difference your postcode can make, here are some average quotes for a 30-year-old living in three different locations. The quotes are for a Ford Mustang 5.0 V8 GT 449 2d.
- Expensive: £1,250 (London SE1)
- Average: £1,080 (Newcastle NE1)
- Cheap: £814 (Galashiels TD1)
What factors affect my Ford Mustang insurance rate?
Along with insurance group, there are a few other factors that play a significant role in determining your insurance premium costs:
- Engine type and capacity. Cars with larger engines will cost more to insure in most cases. This is because they cost more to repair or replace. For example, it may cost £993 to insure a Ford Mustang 2.3 EcoBoost 291 2d, while you may pay £1,112 to cover a Ford Mustang 5.0 V8 GT 440 auto 2d.
- Driver location. Here’s an example of how your location can affect your premiums. A 30-year-old in central London may pay £1,250 for insurance for a Ford mustang 5.0 V8 GT 2d, while the same 30-year-old in Newcastle may only pay £1,080. That £170 difference reflects the decreased likelihood of motorists based in Newcastle making a claim on their insurance compared to those in London.
- Driver age. The youngest drivers are the most likely to claim on their car insurance, which is why they have to pay far more to cover themselves. The average 20-year-old driver in London may pay £2,201 for the Ford Mustang Bullitt 5.0 V8 GT 2d, while the average 40-year-old Londoner will only pay £1,155. As you can see, the 20-year-old has to pay almost double just because of their age in this example. Our research suggests that’s fairly reflective of the price gap regardless of what vehicle they are trying to insure.
Other factors that influence the cost of your insurance include the following:
- The age of your car
- The model of your car
- Your car’s safety rating score
- Your car’s security and any extra anti-theft precautions
- Your annual mileage
- Your driving history and activity
- Your no claims discount
- Your credit history
- Your occupation
- Your marital status
How can I save on my Ford Mustang premiums?
It’s well worth your time to do what you can to reduce your car insurance premiums. There are a few tricks you can try to reduce your premiums significantly, and we’ve listed some of them below.
- Limit your car usage (where possible). Consider what journeys you can take by foot or public transport. By reducing your annual mileage, you’ll be deemed a lower risk to insurers and receive lower premium quotes.
- Pay annually rather than monthly. When you pay annually for car insurance, you lower your costs by eliminating the possibility of being charged interest on monthly instalments.
- Install extra safety precautions. The safer your car is, the less of a risk you’ll be considered for companies to insure. When you install safety precautions, your car insurance premiums tend to drop. As such, these features tend to pay for themselves.
- Don’t just accept your renewal quote. Shop around for the best deal from other companies, rather than settling for the renewal price given to you. There will usually be cheaper options out there!
The Ford Mustang is a classy and quality vehicle that delivers everything you could want from a sports car. You’ll pay a lot to insure it – way above the average rate. Still, at least the tips in this guide will help you help you cut your premiums somewhat.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Should drivers have to retake their driving test?
Three-quarters (74%) of the UK want drivers to retake their driving test at least once in their lifetime, at an average age of 68 years old.
Low emission car insurance
We explain how low emission cars could affect insurance and other costs, plus how to keep your insurance premium low.
Cat N insurance
Read our guide to find out how to find insurance for your cat N write-off, average cost and whether or not you can keep your category N car.
Self-employed car insurance
What you need to consider when taking out car insurance if you’re self-employed, and whether you can claim car insurance as a business expense.
Cat S insurance
Learn how to find insurance for your Cat S write-off, average cost and whether you can keep your category S car.
Genesis G80 insurance group
Find out how much it may cost you to insure a Gensis G80 and how to save on your car insurance premiums.
Genesis G70 insurance group
Find out how much it may cost you to insure a Gensis G70 and how to save on your car insurance premiums.
Genesis GV70 insurance group
Find out how much it may cost you to insure a Gensis GV70 and how to save on your car insurance premiums.
Genesis GV80 insurance group
Find out how much it may cost you to insure a Gensis GV80 and how to save on your car insurance premiums.
Dodge Avenger insurance group
Find out how much it may cost you to insure a Dodge Avenger and how to save on your car insurance premiums.
Ask an Expert