Swinton temporary car insurance review
We've reviewed the temporary car insurance offered through Swinton. Cover can begin instantly, for 1 day up to 28 days. Here's what else you need to know before you pick your temporary car insurance policy.
The temporary car insurance offered through Swinton is comprehensive as standard and any claim you make won’t affect a no claims bonus on an annual policy. You can enhance the cover in the policy with a range of extra protection. Here’s what else is worth knowing about this broker.
Compare temporary car insurance providers
Who is Swinton?
With more than 60 years’ experience, Swinton is an insurance broker that arranges personal car, motorbike, van, taxi and caravan insurance.
Swinton.co.uk is operated by Swinton Group Ltd, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Swinton has partnered with Tempcover Ltd to introduce customers to the temporary car cover. Tempcover Ltd also offers temporary motorbike, van and home insurance amongst others.
Swinton’s policy features
- Comprehensive cover. The highest level of cover comes as standard. If you are responsible for causing an accident, you’ll be protected for damage to other people’s vehicles or property and for your own vehicle against accidental damage and vandalism. You’ll also have protection against any fire damage or theft of your car.
- Instant cover. Get instant cover from the moment you purchase.
- Flexible insurance. You can choose cover from just one day up to 28 days.
- Unaffected annual no-claims discount. A claim made on a temporary policy won’t affect any annual no-claims discount built up.
What does Swinton’s temporary cover include?
Here are some of the benefits of Swinton’s temporary car insurance:
- Accidental damage
- Fire and theft damage
- Third party EU cover
- Legal liability
- Comprehensive EU cover (optional)
- UK Roadside breakdown cover (optional)
- Gadget cover (optional)
- Personal accident cover up to £20,000 (optional)
- Alloys, scratch, dent and tyre cover (optional)
- Excess reimbursement cover (optional)
Beyond the standard cover benefits above, any other benefits to your insurance policy will vary depending on the insurer that is able to provide the cover.
Check your policy details carefully to ensure you have the right cover for your needs.
Can anyone take out Swinton’s temporary car insurance?
Unfortunately not. To get short-term car cover, both you and the car must meet Swinton’s eligibility criteria:
- Be aged 18 -78
- Have held either a current and full UK driver’s licence for a minimum of 6 months (European Union driver’s licence for at least 12 months) or a provisional driving licence
- Have been resident in the UK for 12 months or more
- Have had no more than 7 points on your driver’s licence in the previous 3 years
- Have had no more than 2 fault claims in the previous 3 years
- Have no criminal convictions
The car must:
- Be registered in Great Britain, Northern Ireland or the Isle of Man
- Have a market value of less than £65,000
- Have no more than eight seats including the driver’s seat
- Be right-hand drive
- Not be modified (except for modifications designed to aid disabled drivers)
- Not be used to carry goods or passengers for hire or reward
What is my excess?
Your insurance excess is the amount of money you have agreed to pay towards a claim. Your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than your excess. A compulsory excess amount might vary depending on the age of your motorbike and your riding experience.
A voluntary excess is on top and is normally set by you when taking out a policy. You’ll have the option of adding or increasing a voluntary excess – which should lower your premium.
You’ll find details about any compulsory or voluntary excesses in your policy document.
What is the claims process for Swinton’s temporary car insurance?
As Swinton partners with Tempcover Ltd for its temporary car insurance, you will need to refer to your actual policy document to verify who your insurer is and then find the insurer’s respective claims line details.
Keep your policy details, personal contact details and information relating to the incident to hand when making your claim.
It’s vital that you let your insurer know about an incident as soon as possible, even if it’s not your fault. Failure to do this could result in a rejected claim later on.
Pros and cons for Swinton
- The cover can begin instantly
- Cover can be enhanced with extra protection
- Making a claim won’t affect a no-claims discount built up on an annual policy
- Comprehensive cover as standard
- Cover for a maximum of 28 days only
- You can only pay upfront
- Limited third party EU cover as standard
- No changes to the policy allowed
Frequently asked questions
Read more on this topic
Does credit score affect car insurance? Your credit score can affect what you pay for your car insurance. Here's why and what you can do about it.
Kia Rio insurance group and costs Find out the insurance group for your Kia Rio, how much it should cost to insure and how to save on your premiums.
Skoda Citigo insurance group and cost Find out the insurance group for your Skoda Citigo, how much it should cost to insure and how to save on your premium.
Admiral car insurance review Looking to protect yourself behind the wheel? Compare and review Admiral car insurance and see if it provides cover that suits you.
How we score car insurance How we rate car insurance and find our top picks. Our detailed methodology for policy analysis and customer satisfaction.
Allianz Assistance breakdown cover Compare and review Allianz Assistance breakdown covers and see if it's got the right policy to protect you behind the wheel.
Mazda 2 insurance group and cost Read our comprehensive guide and find out how much it may cost you to insure a Mazda 2 and some top tips on how to save on your car insurance premiums.
Hyundai i10 insurance group and cost Read our comprehensive guide and find out how much it may cost you to insure a Hyundai i10 and how to save on your car insurance premiums.
Kia Picanto insurance group and cost Read our comprehensive guide and find out how much it may cost you to insure a Kia Picanto and how to save on your car insurance premiums.
SEAT Leon insurance group and cost Find out how much it may cost you to insure a SEAT Leon based on your age and location and how to save on your car insurance premiums.