Car insurance for 19-year-olds
Find out the average cost of car insurance for a 19-year-old based on the specific model version and the driver's location.
Still, there are ways for 19-year-olds to lower the cost of car insurance, and we’ll be exploring this idea in the guide below.
Why is car insurance more expensive for 19-year-olds?
Car insurance companies use a range of factors to calculate premiums for each customer, and their age is one of the most significant.
Historically, younger drivers are the most likely to make a claim on their policy, and that’s why 19-year-olds tend to face such hefty premiums. It’s the insurers’ way to protect themselves against this added risk.
Cheapest cars to insure for a 19-year-old
A great way to reduce your car insurance premium is to choose a car that’s cheaper to insure. In the table below, you’ll find a list of the most affordable cars for 19-year-olds to insure.
|Ford Fiesta||1.1L Zetec Ti-VCT 5dr||19||£1692||Get Quote|
|SEAT Ibiza||1.0 TSI XCELLENCE 5dr||19||£1893||Get Quote|
|Hyundai i10||1.0 Se 5dr Hatchback||19||£1532||Get Quote|
|Volkswagen Polo||1.2 S 5d||19||£1481||Get Quote|
|Toyota Aygo||1.0 VVT-i X-Press 5dr||19||£1847||Get Quote|
|Peugeot 108||1.2 PureTech Allure 5dr Petrol Hatchback||19||£1974||Get Quote|
|Citroen C1||1.2 PureTech Flair 5dr||19||£1974||Get Quote|
|Skoda Fabia||1.0 MPI 75 Colour Edition 5dr||19||£1584||Get Quote|
|Dacia Sandero||1.0 SCe Ambiance 5dr||19||£1638||Get Quote|
|Vauxhall Corsa||1.4i ecoTEC Design 5dr||19||£1745||Get Quote|
|Vauxhall Adam||ENERGISED 1.2 3dr||19||£1935||Get Quote|
|Kia Rio||1.0 T-GDi 2 5dr||19||£1847||Get Quote|
|Renault Twingo||0.9 TCE Iconic 5dr||19||£1847||Get Quote|
|Ford KA||1.2 85 Zetec 5dr||19||£1745||Get Quote|
|Volkswagen UP||1.0i Up 5dr||19||£1692||Get Quote|
Average insurance cost for a 19-year-old
We ran several quotes to find an average figure for a 19-year-old seeking car insurance. Based on these results, we found a 19-year-old with a comprehensive policy can expect to pay 1935 per year.
Average insurance cost for a 19-year-old by location
There are many factors that will affect the cost of a 19-year-old’s car insurance premiums, and your location is another significant one.
To show the potential impact of your home address, here are some average quotes for a 19-year-old living in three different locations. The quotes are for a Volkswagen Polo 1.2 S 5d.
- Cheap: £1134 (Truro, TR8)
- Average: 1481 (Chester, CH1)
- Expensive: 1746 (London, E10)
What other costs are involved in getting your first car?
As well as paying for their car insurance, you’ll need to make sure you have the money available to cover the following costs.
- Petrol. The more you’re using your car, the more it’ll cost to keep tank full.
- Car tax. An annual bill, also known as vehicle excise duty, paid to the government. Your bill will differ depending on your choice of vehicle, its emissions and when it was registered.
- MOT. If a car is more than three years old, you’ll have to pay for an MOT test every year. This test is to check that the car meets the legal standards for safety and environmental friendliness.
- Servicing and maintenance. As the car gets older, you’ll inevitably have to pay for the cost of repairs and maintenance. Your MOT test will identify what maintenance jobs are necessary.
- Repairs. You can make an insurance claim if you want your insurer to cover the cost of repairs. However, as this will impact your no-claims bonus, you might prefer to cover the costs of cheaper repairs from your own pocket.
How to get cheaper car insurance at 19 years old
- Choose a cheaper car. Scroll up to see our list of cheapest cars to insure.
- Add a named driver. A more experienced driver added onto your policy will often reduce your premium.
- Take your ‘Pass Plus’ course. This course teaches advanced skills not taught during driving lessons, such as driving at night or on the motorway. Most insurers offer a discount to motorists with a ‘Pass Plus’ certificate.
- Add a telematics box. A telematics box tracks your driving activity and pass the information on to your insurer, so they can confirm you’re a safe driver. Most insurers will offer you a discount if you agree to this.
- Increase your voluntary excess. Agree to contribute more to the cost of a claim, and your insurer will usually cut your premium.
- Add additional safety measures. If you can make your car safer, most insurers will be happy to reduce your premium.
- Avoid unnecessary modifications. Modifications such as a spoiler or an expensive sound system can send your premium skyrocketing. These items are expensive, and your insurer will factor in the cost of replacing them when calculting your premium.
The bottom line
If you’re 19 years old, it’s worth shopping around for the best car insurance deal. Doing so could potentially save you hundreds of pounds. Hopefully, this guide will make the process easier for you.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Car insurance for 20-year-olds
Find out the average cost of car insurance for a 20 year old and how to save on your premiums.
Car insurance for 18-year-olds
Find out the average cost of car insurance for 18 year olds.
Car insurance for 17-year-olds
Find out the average cost of car insurance for a 17-year-old, the cheapest cars to insure and how to cut down your insurance premium as a young driver.
Best car insurance for young drivers in the UK right now
We’ve compared and rated the best car insurance for young drivers on a number of specific policy features and benefits that are relevant to younger drivers.
Cheapest car insurance for young drivers
read our guide to getting the cheapest car insurance deal possible as a younger driver. Plus compare car insurance quotes from some of the cheapest companies.
Cheapest car insurance for new drivers
A good car insurance policy doesn’t have to be expensive, even for new drivers. Compare cheap beginner car insurance quotes and start saving today.
Buying your first car
Looking to buy your first car? Find out everything from financing it to getting car insurance.
Pass Plus Scheme
Discover more about the Pass Plus Scheme and find out if it could save you money on your car insurance.
Car insurance for your first car
Have you just bought your first car? Read our guide and learn how to save on car insurance premiums for new drivers.
Ask an Expert