Strategic Funding business loans review
Must read: In January 2019, Strategic Funding rebranded itself as Kapitus to differentiate its name from the competition. It still offers the same types of business loans it used to, including equipment financing, factoring and lines of credit. Read our full review of Kapitus to learn more about your options.
First, do I qualify?
To qualify for a loan with Strategic Funding, your business must be at least 12 months old and you must have a personal credit score of at least 600.
What is Strategic Funding?
Founded in 2006 and headquartered in New York City, Strategic Funding is a direct lender that offers small business financing through small business loans, equipment financing, factoring services and revenue based financing.
Its online application offers small business loans from $10,000 to $1,000,000.
What makes Strategic Funding unique?
Strategic Funding doesn’t take a one-size-fits-all approach to small business lending. Where other providers might stick to traditional business loans — term loans and lines of credit, for instance — Strategic Funding specializes in a range of financing that can help bridge gaps in your cash flow.
What are the benefits of a Strategic Funding small business loan?
- Online application. Get the ball rolling on your loan application with Strategic Funding’s online application form.
- Many industries accepted. Strategic Funding is willing to work with high-risk industries like automotive services, construction services, wholesalers and professional service providers.
- No collateral required. Strategic Funding’s small business loans are unsecured which means you don’t need to put your assets up as collateral.
What to watch out for
While streamlined lending based on your business’s needs is appealing, Strategic Funding small business loans aren’t without their drawbacks:
- Lack of transparency. Strategic Funding’s doesn’t offer information about its interest rates and loan terms online, and its customer service agents weren’t helpful when we asked. This means you won’t know the rates or terms you qualify for until you apply.
- Fees. Strategic Funding’s 2% origination fee isn’t as high as what some other lenders charge, but it still impacts the amount of funding you receive.
Compare more business loan providers
Strategic Funding reviews and complaints
As of September 2018, Strategic Funding is not an accredited business with the Better Business Bureau, but it gives this lender an A+ rating. Trustpilot users gives Strategic Funding an average score of 8.4 out of 10 based on 171 customer reviews.
Most online reviews are positive and many reviewers mentioned Strategic Funding’s customer service as a strong point. However, a handful of reviewers warn about high interest rates and unexpected fees.
How do I apply?
Before you submit your loan application, make sure that your business qualifies. It must be at least 12 months old, and your personal credit score must be at least 600 to be eligible.
- Go to Strategic Funding’s site. Enter the year your company started, your annual business revenue, the size of your loan and how soon you need funding. Click Submit.
- Enter your full name, email address, phone number, the name of your business and select your business industry. Click Get Funding.
- Wait for a Strategic Funding loan specialist to contact you to continue the application process. They’ll send you a one-page application asking for more information about yourself and your business.
- Submit your business bank statements from the last five months along with your completed application form.
Once you submit your application form with your business bank statements, Strategic Funding reviews your information. If you qualify, Strategic Funding typically offers a loan within 48 hours.
At this point, Strategic Funding asks for additional documentation, including government-issued personal ID, proof of business ownership and your business’s bank account information. Funds are typically available within 24 hours of accepting your loan offer and submitting your documents.
How to apply step-by-step with screenshots
What documents do I need to apply?
- Business bank statements from the last five months.
- Government-issued personal ID.
- Proof of business ownership.
- Business bank account information.
What other loan options does Strategic Funding offer?
- Revenue-based financing. Strategic Funding’s revenue-based financing allows businesses to borrow against future earnings or against unpaid invoices. Amounts of up to $1,000,000 are available.
- Equipment financing. This business loan is designed to be used to buy new equipment, with potential tax savings on qualifying purchases.
- Factoring. Use future receivables in exchange for business capital without having to take out a loan.
- Helix medical financing. Financing tailored to independent healthcare practices with healthcare-specific underwriting.
I got the Strategic Funding small business loan. Now what?
- Grow your business. Use your loan funds to help your business grow and expand.
- Know your payment schedule. Whether your loan is repaid daily, weekly or monthly, know when your loan payment is due and do your best not to miss a payment.
- Contact customer service. If you need to speak with customer service, call 800-780-7133, email firstname.lastname@example.org or live chat seven days a week.
Strategic Funding could get you the cash flow you need for your small business — even as high as $1,000,000. Though, it lacks transparency when it comes to potential interest rates and loan terms.
Before you sign off on a loan with any lender, take some time to explore your loan options with other providers.