Sound Community Bank loans review
Weigh the convenience of applying online against potentially high rates before you apply.
Bottom line: Sound Community Bank’s online applications and startup financing option set it apart from other local lenders. But the rates it advertises online are relatively high for a bank.
Business term loans, business lines of credit, commercial real estate loans, personal loans, auto loans, boat loans, mortgages
Types of loans available
|Types of loans available||Business term loans, business lines of credit, commercial real estate loans, personal loans, auto loans, boat loans, mortgages|
|Number of branches||8|
|Branch hours||Varies by branch; 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, Friday 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.|
|Customer service hours||9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday|
|Customer service options||Phone, form email|
Anna Serio is a trusted lending expert and certified Commercial Loan Officer who's published more than 1,000 articles on Finder to help Americans strengthen their financial literacy. A former editor of a newspaper in Beirut, Anna writes about personal, student, business and car loans. Today, digital publications like Business Insider, CNBC and the Simple Dollar feature her professional commentary, and she earned an Expert Contributor in Finance badge from review site Best Company in 2020.
This local bank offers the basics to Puget Sound businesses and individuals. But it’s one of the few banks that offers completely online business loan applications. And it’s also one of the few that works with startups — most require at least a few years in business.
But its branches are closed during the weekend and have limited hours outside of regular business hours. And while it doesn’t display business loan rates online, its personal and auto loan rates start higher than your average bank. You might even be able to find a less-expensive loan with an online lender.
What is Sound Community Bank?
Sound Community Bank is a small bank with eight branches and two lending offices across the Puget Sound region of Washington State. With online applications and a mobile app, this bank is easier to work with remotely than most community lenders.
It's invested a lot of time and money into its local area and has been named a top corporate philanthropist by the Puget Sound Business Journal. And its green initiatives, like promoting online banking and discounted financing for electric cars make it more sustainable than many similarly sized banks.
What types of loans does Sound Community Bank offer?
Sound Community Bank offers the basics when it comes to both business and personal financing:
- Business term loans. Secured and unsecured loans to cover a one-time cost like buying inventory, equipment — and even startup costs.
- Business lines of credit. Access to cash as you need it to cover recurring expenses and have a safety net for unexpected costs.
- Commercial real estate loans. Financing and refinancing to buy property, construction, cover the real estate portion of a business acquisition and more.
- Personal loans. Sound offers an unsecured personal loan program with rates starting at 13.71% APR with a 24-month term. It also offers a small dollar loan program starting at 15.4% APR with terms from 12 to 36 months.
- Auto loans. New and used financing for cars, RVs and other types of vehicles with rates starting at 3.82% APR on electric vehicles.
- Boat loans. Financing for new and used boats with terms as long as 120 months and rates starting at 7.92% APR.
How does borrowing with Sound Community Bank work?
Sound Community Bank is one of the few local lenders that offers online applications for all its loan products. This makes it easier to submit your application if you can't come in during business hours. But if you want to discuss your options with a loan officer, call the lending team at 800-458-5585. You can also email them at LendingSupport@soundcb.com.
How to get started
Follow these steps to get started on an application online. If you'd rather apply over the phone or in person, contact your local branch.
- Go to the Sound Community Bank website.
- Choose Loans in the main menu and select the type of loan you're interested in.
- Hit Apply now and then OK to be taken to the application.
- Choose Sign up to create a new account. Or if you're a member, log in with your online banking credentials.
- Select the type of loan that you want to apply for and follow the instructions to complete the application.
After you submit your application, a commercial loan officer should be in touch with an offer and further steps. Community banks typically take weeks to process loan applications. But lenders that offer online applications tend to have a shorter turnaround time.
- Online applications available
- Startup financing available
- Promotes environmentally sustainable banking
- All branches closed Saturdays
- Only discloses personal loan rates
- Relatively high APRs compared to other banks
See other business loan options
Compare Sound Community Bank against a selection of online lenders.
Sound Community Bank customer reviews and complaints
|BBB customer reviews||1 out of 5 stars, based on 1 customer reviews|
|Yelp||3 out of 5 stars, based on 16 customer reviews|
|Glassdoor||3.5 out of 5 stars, based on 4 customer reviews|
|Indeed||3.2 out of 5 stars, based on 9 customer reviews|
|Customer reviews verified as of||25 November 2020|
Sound Community Bank gets mediocre customer reviews. Multiple reviewers report trouble setting up autopay, and a few complain that the app is difficult to use. Others state they had problems setting up or managing an account. But despite these issues, customers appear happy with the quality of customer service.
What do employees say?
It's also a mixed bag. Some employees love their experience at a bank, while others complain about office politics. One also questions whether the bank is growing too fast.
Generally, most seem to be pleased with pay and benefits — which is a good sign that they're there to stay. Happy employee reviews often means you're more likely to get quality service and the chance to develop a long-term relationship with a banker.
What other products does it offer?
In addition to loans, new customers might consider signing up for the following products with this bank.
- Checking and accounts
- Credit cards
- Health Savings Accounts
- IRAs and SEPs
- Money market accounts
Sound Community Bank history
Sound Community Bank started in 1953 as a credit union for employees of Associated Grocers, a wholesale company. It eventually became a bank and grew to serve over 15,000 households and small businesses in the Puget Sound area of Washington. It's acquired several other community banks along the way, including branches of Columbia Bank and Sunwest Bank.
Want a faster online lender? Read our guide to the best business loans of the year.