Lighter Capital business loans review
Tech startups can borrow up to $1 million — but high revenue requirements may be too steep.
- Best for startups already generating steady revenue.
- Pick something else if you’re not in the tech industry.
Rhys Subitch is a writer and editor at Finder who tackles topics across the site. With half a decade of experience researching, editing and writing for a Fortune 500 company, university and several independent publications, Rhys brings readers the most up-to-date and curated info on all things finance.
Term loans from Lighter Capital come with fixed monthly payments and amounts up to $1 million. And it claims businesses can have that amount in-hand within four weeks of applying. It also offers forward commitments — essentially preapproval for future funding after you repay your first term loan.
But it only offers loans to tech companies, which means your business needs to specialize in software as a service (SaaS), digital media, tech services and similar industries. You also need to be averaging at least $15,000 in monthly revenue — so while it’s for startups, it isn’t seed funding. Lighter Capital also doesn’t offer information online in terms of APRs offered or fees that your business may face when borrowing.
For more options that might offer more lenient industry restrictions, compare other lenders before you apply.
But first, do I qualify?
To qualify for a term loan from Lighter, your company must be:
- In the tech industry
- Have a minimum average monthly revenue of $15,000
- Be based in the US or a subsidiary in the US
- Not be located in Nevada or Rhode Island
What makes Lighter Capital unique?
Lighter Capital works exclusively with tech startups that are past the seed-funding stage. It partners with a number of software providers to offer discounts on products from AWS Activate, HubSpot, Intercom and more.
Outside of its term loans, it also offers both revenue-based loans that have flexible payments that adjust with the amount your business brings in each month and business lines of credit. But possibly the biggest advantage Lighter Capital offers over other lenders is that it doesn't require a personal guarantee to secure funding.
Pros and cons
Before applying with Lighter, fully consider whether it's a good fit for your company.
- No personal guarantee required to secure funds
- Potential preapproval for future loans
- Discounts available on software programs
- High monthly minimum revenue requirement of $15,000
- Not available to businesses in Nevada or Rhode Island
- High minimum amounts of $100,000 in Delaware, $250,00 in Connecticut and Texas and $500,00 in Florida
- Only available to businesses in the tech industry
See other top business loan options
Not sold on Lighter? Check out a personalized selection of lenders with only a few pieces of information about your business.
How do I apply?
To connect with Lighter Capital, you'll need to fill out its online form. It won't be a full application, but it's the first step to one.
- Go to the Lighter Capital website. Click Apply.
- Fill out your name, email, business name and website, ZIP code and which loan type you want. Click Next.
- Follow the prompts and enter whether your business is in the tech industry, how much you're requesting, when your business was founded, an elevator pitch, what accounting software you use and revenue and cash flow info. Select Submit.
Once you fully fill out the form and send it in, a loan specialist from Lighter will contact you. From start to funding, the process can take up to four weeks.
What documents do I need to apply?
A full list of required documents isn't available on Lighter's website, but there are a few commonly requested documents that you should prepare:
- Business bank statements for the past two months
- Annual tax documents from the past two years
- Profit and loss (P&L) statements
How do repayments work?
Lighter term loans come with monthly repayments. If automatic repayments are available, signing up for them can be a great time-saver. But keep an eye on your accounts — mistakes can happen and if you notice anything amiss contact Lighter Capital immediately.
For even more options, read our guide to business loans and discover funding that can take your business to the next level.