eSmart tax review
Four online tax preparation plans and the option to file in-person at its parent company.eSmart tax, backed by Liberty Tax Service, has four online tax preparation plans for families, investors and small business owners. While its online software doesn’t come with phone support, you can file in-person at any of its 3,000 Liberty Tax Service locations.
Federal returns starting price
State returns starting price
Cassidy Horton is a writer for Finder, specializing in banking and investments. She has a Bachelor of Science in Public Relations and a Master of Business Administration from Georgia Southern University. Cassidy enjoys educating people about financial services, exploring the Pacific Northwest and watching endless reruns of The Office.
Looking for an online filing option that allows you to live chat customer support for help? eSmart tax may fit the bill. It has four simple packages for individuals, families, investors and business owners. Or, you can file in-person at any of Liberty Tax’s 3,000 locations if you prefer.
But, depending on your tax situation, you may pay more to file with eSmart tax than you would with another service.
How much does eSmart tax cost?eSmart tax offers four online preparation plans:
|Plan||Price||Best For||Supported Forms|
|Free||$0 for federal$29.99 for state||Simple returns||Form 1040|
|Basic||$44.95 for federal|
$36.95 for state
|Families||Form 1040, 8853|
Schedule A, B
|Deluxe||$55.95 for federal|
$36.95 for state
|Investors||Form 1040, 4562, 8829, 4136, 8839, 8853|
Schedule A, B, C
|Premium||$69.95 for federal|
$36.95 for state
|Business owners||Form 1040, 4562, 8829, 4136, 4684, 4835, 8839, 8853|
Schedule A, B, C, E, F, K-1
Need to file an extension? You’ll pay an additional $4.95 for this feature.
How do I pay?
There are two ways to pay for eSmart tax preparation fees:
- Debit or credit card
- Deducted from your refund for $29.99
Only those who file a federal and state return with eSmart tax can choose to have their tax preparation fees deducted from their refund. The $29.99 fee goes to JTH Financial, the bank responsible for processing refunds.
How do I get my tax refund?
There are three ways to receive your tax refund:
- Direct deposit
- Paper check
- NetSpend Liberty Tax Prepaid Debit Mastercard
Those filing with eSmart tax may enjoy these benefits:
- Simple packages. With only four packages, you won’t get bogged down figuring out which one you need.
- Live chat support. Live chat with a customer service representative daily starting at 9 a.m. ET.
- Free import for past returns. Save time and import your old tax returns for free.
- Electronic W-2 import. Get a jump start on the filing process by electronically importing your W-2.
- In-person filing option. Visit any Liberty Tax location to file your taxes in person.
Potential drawbacks of eSmart tax include:
- Higher prices. It’s packages are more expensive than the competition.
- No phone support. While eSmart tax offers live chat support, you don’t have the option to call customer service.
- Hidden fees. eSmart tax doesn’t list fees on its website for prepaid cards, in-person filing services or preparation fees deducted from your refund.
eSmart tax reviews and complaintseSmart tax doesn’t have any reviews on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) or Trustpilot as of January 2020.
It’s parent company, Liberty Tax Service, is not accredited by the BBB and has a 1 out of 5-star rating based on 12 customer reviews.
Compare tax filing services
But if you’re looking for a less expensive option, shop around for other online filing options before you decide.
How to sign up
Sign up for eSmart tax online in three easy steps:
- Go to the official eSmart tax website and click Start For Free.
- Enter your personal information including your name, email address, phone number, username, password and security questions. Click Continue.
- Enter the verification code sent to the email address in Step 2 and click Login.
You’ll start your return once you complete the signup process.
eSmart tax customer support
Need to chat with eSmart tax customer support? Get in touch in five ways:
- Email email@example.com
- Start a live chat on the website
- January to April 20: Daily from 9 a.m. to 12 a.m. ET
- April 21 to December: Daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET
- Visit a Liberty Tax branch near you
- Send a Facebook message to eSmart tax
- Tweet @esmarttax