If you’re on the fence, take advantage of its generous 30-day return policy.
finder.com’s rating: 4.0 / 5.0
|Product Name||Discover personal loans|
|Min Loan Amount||$2,500|
|Max. Loan Amount||$35,000|
|Requirements||Have a household income of $25,000.|
- Have household income of $25,000.
What makes Discover personal loans unique?
The real highlight of Discover’s personal loan offering is its generous return policy. If you decide you no longer need the funds, you can return your loan within 30 days and pay nothing in interest. This is a rare perk you’ll be hard-pressed to find with other lenders.
What are Discover personal loans?
Discover offers fixed-rate, unsecured personal loans between $2,500 and $35,000. They can be used for almost any legitimate purpose except for paying back a secured loan or post-secondary education expenses. Interest rates range from 6.99% to 24.99% depending on your creditworthiness.
Alongside its generous loan terms, which range from 3 years to 7 years, Discover also charges minimal fees. That means you won’t pay a monthly maintenance fee, origination fee or prepayment penalty. Instead, all you’ll have to worry about is a late payment fee, which you can avoid by setting up autopay.
What are the benefits of a Discover personal loan?
With its minimal fees and convenient 30-day return policy, there are a few perks of taking out a personal loan with Discover:
- Return period. Unlike many lenders that lock you in once the loan contract is signed, Discover gives you a 30-day return period. If you decide to return your funds, you won’t pay any interest.
- Limited fees. Discover doesn’t charge a monthly service fee, origination fee or prepayment penalty if you want to pay your loan back early.
- Fast turnaround. If you apply during the week, you could get approved the same day and receive your funds as fast as the next business day.
- Free access to credit score. When you borrow through Discover, you’ll receive a Credit Scorecard with your FICO score to help you stay on top of your finances.
What to watch out for
Not sure a Discover personal loan is right for you? Consider these potential drawbacks first:
- High maximum interest rate. While 24.99% isn’t the highest interest rate out there, it can make your monthly payments much more difficult to afford.
- Steep late fee. Discover doesn’t have a grace period for late payments, so you’ll be on the hook for a $39 late fee — even if you miss your due date by just a day.
- No autopay discount. Unlike many other lenders, Discover doesn’t offer a rate discount for borrowers who set up automatic payments.
Compare more personal loan providers
Am I eligible?
Discover doesn’t list any clear-cut eligibility criteria beyond having a minimum annual household income of $25,000. Loan decisions are based on your income, debt-to-income (DTI) ratio, credit history and requested loan amount and term. By applying for preapproval, you’ll be able to see if you qualify without impacting your credit score.
How do I apply?
You can apply for a Discover personal loan by phone, mail or online. To start the application process online, follow these simple steps:
- Go to Discover’s website and click Personal Loans in the top navigation bar.
- Enter how much you want to borrow and what you plan to use the loan for, then click Check Your Rate.
- Choose your loan term and enter your contact information. Click Continue.
- Enter details about your employment, income and citizenship status, as well as your Social Security number and date of birth. Click Continue.
- Read over the electronic disclosures and consents agreement. Check the box that you accept it, then click Continue.
Discover electronically processes your application within a few minutes. If it has any questions about your application, a loan specialist might call you to verify your personal details.
If approved, you may be able to receive your loan funds as soon as the next business day. However, it’s not guaranteed. If there are any errors on your application, your loan is approved on a weekend or you don’t want your funds deposited into your bank account, it could take up to seven days for your loan to be disbursed.
I got a Discover personal loan. Now what?
To help prevent late fees, sign up for autopay to have your repayment withdrawn from your bank account each month. You can also make extra repayments or pay off your entire balance early — Discover doesn’t charge a prepayment penalty.
Reach out to customer service if you have any questions or problems with your loan account by calling 866-248-1255.
With minimal fees, a 30-day return period and fast turnaround, a Discover personal loan has a lot to offer. But it doesn’t come with a rate discount for autopay like many other lenders out there. And you could get stuck with a relatively high APR if you don’t have the best credit.
Frequently asked questions
Personal loan ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top personal loan providers and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: rates and fees, customer reviews, loan amounts, loan processing and borrower experience.