Digital Federal Credit Union (DCU) personal loans review
Open-ended personal loans tailored to your needs with APRs from 7.5% to 18% with autopay.
- Best for students who need a personal loan to help pay for school.
- Pick something else if you don't want to open a DCU checking account.
Max. Loan Amount
7.5% to 18%
First, am I eligible?
DCU doesn’t have many hard eligibility requirements to apply for a personal loan. You just need to live in the US and join DCU before or after you apply. To be eligible for membership, you must meet one of the three following criteria:
- Work or have worked for a company that’s listed as a participating employer
- Member of a participating organization, community or condo association
- Related to an existing member
You can find a list of eligible employers, organizations, communities and condo associations on DCU’s website.
- Funds can be used as a student loan
- Cosigners accepted
- Limited fees
- Join DCU after you apply
- Not much information before you apply
- Rates start relatively high
- Must become a DCU member to borrow
Compare other personal loan providers
What do customers say about DCU personal loans?
The main complaint customers have against DCU is its poor customer service. Long wait times and problems with payments are also frequent problems people have run into. More than one reviewer said they’d been treated rudely and several others complained that DCU simply hadn’t been clear about how some of their loans work.
How do I apply?
You can apply online, over the phone or in person at your local branch. Here’s how to start your online application:
- Go to the DCU website and navigate to the Personal Loans page. Click Apply Now.
- Follow the directions to complete the online form with your personal information.
- Select either Continue with Co-Applicant or Continue without Co-Applicant.
- Review and submit your application.
What information do I need to apply?
You will need a few basic pieces of information to complete a personal loan application:
- Social Security number
- Date of birth
- Member number (optional)
You may need to submit proof of income, employment or residence after DCU processes your initial application.
What happens after I apply?
DCU will reach out to you with an offer and request documentation, typically within 24 hours. After you submit your documents and any additional information — and are approved — you will be able to review and sign your loan documents.
How do repayments work with DCU personal loan?
You can repay your loan several ways, but if you opt for automatic repayments through your DCU account, you can grab a hefty 0.5% discount off your APR.
If you notice any mistakes in your account or have any questions, reach out to DCU customer service by calling 800-328-8797, visiting your local branch or using the live chat feature on its website. And if you won’t be able to make a repayment, get in contact as soon as possible. Otherwise, you may have to pay a late or returned payment fee of $25 to $35.