Good or bad credit, find a RushCard Prepaid Visa Card that works best for your unique situation.
Issued by MetaBank, Member FDIC, The RushCard company is led by hip-hop mogul, Russell Simmons. Choose between a variety of cards, each with a unique design and one-time card fee. After you pick your card design, choose between the Unlimited or the Pay-As-You-Go Plan.
- Midnight RushCard. Want to feel like royalty? The Midnight RushCard, issued in dark blue, is designed card to make you feel like royalty, and only charges a $3.95 one-time card fee.
- 24K RushCard. Want a gold-colored card with a sleek design? Try the 24K RushCard. This golden card will set you back $3.95 for the one-time card fee.
- Carbon RushCard. This black card design is known for being classy and chic. You can expect a $3.95 one-time card fee.
- Gloss RushCard. Looking to stay sassy? Look no further than the pink designed Gloss RushCard. This card comes with a $3.95 one-time card fee.
- Sequin KLS RushCard. Add some spark, glitz and glamour to your wallet with the Sequin KLS RushCard . Originally design by fashion icon Kimora Lee Simmons, this multi-colored card can add a pop of fun to your wallet. The colorful card has a higher one-time card fee of $9.95.
*RushCard previously offered a Suede KLS RushCard also designed by Kimora Lee Simmons, but this card is no longer available on the RushCard website.
- Get paid faster. If you want to get paid up to two days faster, sign up for direct deposit with your RushCard. Not only can you receive your paycheck and government benefits in your account up to two days faster, but you can also avoid long lines to deposit your check. Direct deposit eliminates enrollment fees and check cashing charges.
- Rewards. RushCard offers a variety of reward incentives. If you refer a friend and they apply, set up a PIN and deposit funds onto a RushCard, you’ll get $30 in your account. You can receive a maximum amount of $600 per year in referral rewards. RushCard also offers Walmart and Sam’s Club pharmacy discounts and Visa rewards from more than 90 participating retailers.
- Customer service. As a cardholder, you can enjoy RushCard’s 24-hour round-the-clock customer service.
- Sending money. Sending money to family and friends is simple, and can be done from card to card.
- Financial counseling. MetaBank, (issuer of the Gloss Prepaid Visa RushCard) offers members one-on-one credit counseling from Operation Hope.
- Mobile deposit. Deposit checks directly from the RushCard’s mobile app.
- Prepaid Visa. Your RushCard will act just like a Visa on purchases at your favorite places, in-store and online. RushCard even lets you set up recurring debit card payments. RushCard meets all Visa Clear Prepaid Standards.
- Mobile app. RushCard’s mobile app is free, convenient and lets you keep track of your money right from your phone.
- Secure. RushCard enforces strict fraud policies, smart monitoring tools, optional text alerts and more. Every RushCard is covered under the Visa Zero Liability Policy.
- Reload locations. If you need to load up your card, you can do so at places like Walmart and CVS through methods like MoneyGram, Western Union, Green Dot and more .
- Pause protection. If you lose your card or it’s stolen, RushCard can help. Using your mobile app, you can temporarily pause and prevent new purchases from being made.
- ATM network. RushCards work at thousands of surcharge-free MoneyPass ATMs.
- Online access. Want to pay your bills online? RushCard makes it easy with Online Bill Pay.
- Text alerts. To stay in the loop, you can opt in for account text alerts. To sign up, go to Contact Preferences in the mobile app, or text ENROLL to 697874. If you would rather sign up for text alerts from your computer, go to Account Settings.
What to watch out for
- RushCard Controversy. In 2015, during what founder Russell Simmons calls a “technology transition,” thousands of cardholders lost access to the funds in their accounts. Because of this, there was an investigation and class-action lawsuit launched. Some accounts were deactivated, and some cardholders stated that purchases appeared twice on their statements. Many claimed that the company stole their money. It is unclear how many customers were affected during this debacle.
- Statement price difference. There is a $1 paper statement fee for each mailed paper copy of your statement.
- Fees and limits. Watch out for the card’s potential fees. Additionally, there are limits on how much money you can add, transfer or receive.
- Won’t improve credit. Because this is a pre-paid card and doesn’t report to any credit agencies, it won’t help you improve your credit score.
Nuts and bolts
- One-time card fee. $9.95 for the Sequin KLS Card; $3.95 for all other cards
- Daily ATM withdrawal limit. $5,000
- Out-of-network ATM withdrawal fee. $2.50
- Unlimited Plan monthly fee. $7.95 per month
- Unlimited Plan monthly fee with direct deposit. $5.95
- Pay-As-You-Go Plan. $1 per transaction (max $10 per month)
- Inactivity fee. $1.95 per month after 90 days of inactivity with the Pay-As-You-Go Plan.
- Withdrawal fee at MoneyPass ATM. $0
- Withdrawal fee at out-of-network ATM. $2.50
- Withdrawal fee from bank teller. $2.50
- Cash back from retailers withdrawal fee. $0 (or included in the $1 transaction fee)
- Reloading direct deposit fee. $0
- Reload fee for online transfers from your bank. $0
- Fee to load cash at retailers. No fee from RushCard
- ATM balance inquiry (out of network). $0.50
- Fee to transfer another RushCard. $0.99
- Online Bill Pay fee. $0
- Mobile check deposit. $0 (1%-4% of check for same day option)
Am I even eligible?
To be eligible, you must meet the following requirements:
- At least 18 years old, or 13 with parent consent.
- All personal information is true and correct.
- US citizen or resident of the United States or the District of Columbia (excluding Vermont).
- Have a physical address (not a P.O. box).
- Agree to RushCard’s provided terms and conditions.