Coastal Community Bank loans review
This Puget Sound bank lets you keep finances local without sacrificing technology.
This local bank offers online applications and a mobile app for businesses that don’t have time for a drawn-out process.
Coastal flexlines, business lines of credit, business term loans, SBA loans, commercial real estate loans, home equity loans, mortgages
Types of loans available
|Types of loans available||Coastal flexlines, business lines of credit, business term loans, SBA loans, commercial real estate loans, home equity loans, mortgages|
|Number of branches||15|
|Branch hours||Varies by branch, usually 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday|
|Customer service hours||Not stated|
|Customer service options||Form email, phone|
Anna Serio is a trusted lending expert and certified Commercial Loan Officer who's published more than 1,000 articles on Finder to help Americans strengthen their financial literacy. A former editor of a newspaper in Beirut, Anna writes about personal, student, business and car loans. Today, digital publications like Business Insider, CNBC and the Simple Dollar feature her professional commentary, and she earned an Expert Contributor in Finance badge from review site Best Company in 2020.
Coastal Community Bank offers a wider range of financing options for Puget Sound business owners. It’s also one of a growing number of local lenders to embrace new banking technology by offering online applications. You can still apply in person though — and have to if you need more than $350,000.
But its office hours are limited. Only a few branches are open until 6 p.m. on Fridays and all are closed during the weekend. Consider another lender if you want to talk through your loan application with a loan officer but can’t make it between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
What is Coastal Community Bank?
Coastal Community Bank is a financial institution that serves the North Puget Sound area of Washington State. It has 15 branches across Snohomish, Island, and North King Counties.
It's also won numerous awards over the years for its banking and community service. These include a spot on American Banker's Top 200 Community Banks list in 2020 and the Small Business Administration (SBA) Community Leader of the Year in Western Washington in 2017. It also won the Puget Sound Business Journal Corporate Citizenship Award from 2015 to 2018.
What types of loans does Coastal Community Bank offer?
You can find the following types of financing at Coastal Community Bank online. Larger loan amounts might be available if you apply in person.
- Business term loans. Funding up to $350,000, fixed rates and a 60-month term to buy equipment and cover other one-time expenses.
- Business lines of credit. Access up to $350,000 in cash as needed with a 12-month term and variable rates.
- Coastal Flexlines. A smaller line of credit of up to $50,000 with a 60-month revolving term, variable rates and an annual fee.
- SBA loans. Government-backed loans through the SBA 7(a) program for recovery sector businesses — seasonal businesses and those located in low-income areas. You can borrow up to $10 million with a 100% SBA guarantee with a 1% interest rate and a 20-year term.
- Commercial real estate loans. Financing up to $1 million for owner-occupied real estate purchases or refinancing.
- Home equity loans and lines of credit. Financing backed by the value of your home to fund home improvements and other personal expenses.
- Mortgages. Fund a home purchase, construction or refinance a current mortgage with access to experts in the local real estate market.
How does borrowing with Coastal Community Bank work?
Coastal Community Bank is one of the few community banks that offers online applications — for certain loan amounts. But if you want to borrow more than $350,0000, you have to set up an appointment to apply in person. Your business must also be around for at least two years to use the online application — otherwise, reach out to see if Coastal can help your business.
Applying online generally gives you a quicker response. But it's not great if you want help deciding on the best type of financing for your business — or expert advice. In that case, set up an appointment to go over your options with a member of Coastal's commercial lending team.
How to get started
You can get started with your application by requesting information from Coastal Community Bank.
- Go to the Coastal Community Bank website.
- Choose Loans, then select the type of loan you want to apply for.
- Hit Request info and provide your contact information and a question about the loan program. Click or tap Submit.
You should hear back from Coastal Community Bank with information on how to apply online — or in person, if you want a larger loan. You can complete your application and upload two years of tax returns, financial statements and business entity documents on its customer portal.
- Online applications available
- More information online than most community banks
- Award-winning service and community involvement
- Mobile app
- No weekend hours
- Only select branches open outside of business hours
- No personal loans
See more business loans
Compare how Coastal Community Bank stacks up against online lenders.
Coastal Community Bank reviews and complaints
Coastal Community Bank doesn't have enough online reviews to make a clear judgment about the quality of service. Reach out to other Puget Sound small business owners and ask if anyone has gotten a loan from this lender. You'll get more details than you'd find online and the chance to ask questions.
What do employees say?
Coastal employees leave mostly positive reviews. However, a few mention that the bank was quick to close branches or lay off employees. This gives mixed signals. High employee morale often means high-quality service. But branch closures and employee layoffs could mean that you won't be able to stay with the bank or the same loan officer as long as you would like.
What other products does it offer?
Moving other accounts to your new bank can make it easier to manage your business's finances and get approved for a loan. You might want to consider these products as well if you decide to borrow with Coastal Community Bank:
- Business treasury management
- Checking and savings accounts
- Credit card processing
- Credit cards
- Investment services
- Personal CDs
- Personal money market accounts
It also has special accounts for nonprofits and senior citizens.
Coastal Community Bank history
Coastal Community Bank opened its doors in Everett, Washington in 1997. It's since expanded to 15 branches across the Puget Sound area, and it takes its community involvement seriously. Its employees founded the Coastal Community Bank Employee Giving fund, which supports local charitable causes — including awarding over 387 in grants to nonprofits.
It's also not shy about working with tech companies. Most recently, it announced a partnership with Google to offer digital bank accounts, which will be available through Google Pay.
Compare Coastal Community Bank to other top business lenders before you make a decision.