Clearwater Credit Union Primary Savings Account review
This Montana-based bank offers a savings account without monthly fees, but won't grow your assets.
finder.com’s rating: 3.8 / 5.0
★★★★★Clearwater Credit Union offers Montana residents a straightforward solution to a primary savings account, with no monthly fees and a low $5 opening deposit. But it’s not for everyone as it has a low APY of 0.05%.
Minimum deposit to open
Thea Glassman is a shopping writer at Finder, helping readers find the best deals. Her bylines have appeared in The New York Times, Vanity Fair, VICE and The Hollywood Reporter. She's a graduate of University of Kansas, a native New Yorker and only somewhat ashamed that her all-time favorite movie is Mamma Mia 2.
If you’re a Montana resident looking for a local bank with no monthly fees and a small opening deposit, Clearwater Credit Union Primary Savings account could be a good fit. But it doesn’t stand out as a savings account due to its low interest rate of 0.05%, which is below the national average.
If you’re looking for an account that earns a higher rate and comes with an ATM card, look at accounts like the Axos Bank High Yield Savings account, which earns up to 0.61% APY.
How do I open a Clearwater Credit Union savings account?
Follow these steps to open a Clearwater Credit Union Primary Savings account online.
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- Select Savings Account from the menu option and click Open an Account.
- Choose between Individual Membership or Joint Membership.
- Accept terms.
- Select the county you live, work or study in.
- Upload your drivers license.
To open up a savings account, you’ll need to meet the following criteria.
- Be a US citizen
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have a valid Social Security number
- Live, work or study in the following areas of Montana: Beaverhead, Broadwater, Cascade, Deer Lodge, Flathead, Gallatin, Granite, Jefferson, Lake, Lewis and Clark, Lincoln, Madison, Meagher, Mineral, Missoula, Park, Powell, Ravalli, Sanders or Silver Bow Counties.
Here’s what to have handy before setting up your savings account.
- A valid government-issued photo ID
- Your social security number
- Proof of residence
- Opening deposit of $5
What are the benefits of a Primary Savings account with Clearwater Credit Union?Clearwater Credit Union Primary Savings account comes with these benefits.
- No monthly fees. Like most savings accounts nowadays, you won’t have to worry about paying a monthly fee to maintain your account.
- Customer service. You have the option to call, start a live chat or fill out a submission form on the website to speak to a customer rep. You also have the benefit of receiving a no-cost consultation session for financial advice.
What should I look out for?
There are two drawbacks to opening a primary savings account with Clearwater Credit Union.
- Low interest. You’ll only earn 0.05% APY with this account, which is lower than the national average of 0.06% for savings accounts.
- Limited branches. You’re limited to only eight branch locations, so if you’re out of the area, you’re limited to chat, phone or filling out a contact form on the website.
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
There are multiple ways to get cash quickly, transfer funds or make deposits.
- Online banking. Transfer funds to another bank or transfer money via email or text message.
- Mobile banking. Deposit a check, transfer funds to another bank or transfer money via email or text message.
- Telephone banking. Transfer funds to another bank.
Compare Clearwater Credit Union Primary Savings to other savings accounts
What other savings accounts does Clearwater Credit Union offer?
In addition to its PRimary Savings account, Clearwater Credit Union offers these other savings options.
- Clearwater V.I.P Savings account. Earn a 0.15% interest rate for deposits between $5 and $2,500. There’s no monthly fee, but you’ll pay a penalty for early withdrawal.
- Clearwater Money Market account. Customers must make an opening deposit of $1,500 and maintain that balance every month. You’ll pay a $5 monthly fee if the balance falls below the minimum.
- Term Savings Certificate. Open your account with a $500 deposit and pay no monthly fees unless you make an early withdrawal.
How to contact Clearwater Credit Union about my savings account?
Reach a customer service agent by calling 406-523-3300 or sending a message through the online submission form on Clearwater’s website. You also have the option to live chat through the website, though operators aren’t consistently available.
If your card is lost or stolen and you need to reach a customer service representative after hours within the US, call 888-241-2510.
Savings account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top savings accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: interest rates, monthly fees, minimum deposits, customer service and account features.