BankAmericard® Credit Card review
Transfer your debts and save money with a rare balance transfer fee intro offer.
finder.com’s rating: 4.6 / 5
- Get this card if you want to transfer debt from other sources and save on interest.
- Pick something else if you want to earn rewards.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit range of 670 to 850.
Intro purchase APR
for the first 18 billing cycles (then 12.99% to 22.99% variable)
Intro balance transfer
for the first 18 billing cycles (then 12.99% to 22.99% variable)
|Welcome offer||$100 statement credit online bonus after making at least $1,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening.|
|Rewards||0% intro balance transfer APR for the first 18 billing cycles, then variable.|
|Purchase APR||0% intro for the first 18 billing cycles (then 12.99% to 22.99% variable)|
|Balance transfer APR||0% intro for the first 18 billing cycles (then 12.99% to 22.99% variable)|
|Minimum Credit Score||670|
Kevin Joey Chen is a credit cards, banking and investments writer whose work and analysis have appeared on CNN, U.S. News & World Report, Business.com, Lifehacker and CreditCards.com. He's passionate about helping you get your finances in order by expertly navigating cutting-edge financial tools — including credit cards, apps and budgeting software.
If you’re looking for a balance transfer card, the BankAmericard® Credit Card could be the right pick. It offers 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for the 18 billing cycles, reverting to 12.99% to 22.99% variable after.
Fifteen months for a promotional APR is eclipsed by few other cards. Use the BankAmericard® Credit Card if you want to make a big purchase now and pay it off over time — or simply pause your current interest with a balance transfer.
How to apply for the BankAmericard® Credit Card
- Go to the Bank of America website and click Apply now.
- Complete the application with details like your name, address, annual income and Social Security number.
- Review and submit your application.
How long will it take to be approved?
Because conditional approval is automated on the Bank of America website, you’ll often get a decision within minutes. In some cases, you’ll need to wait a few business days to a few weeks to receive a response.
- Annual fee: $0. The card comes with a $0 annual fee, so it’s easy to keep long term. Keeping cards open can also help your credit score by increasing your average account age.
- Low intro APR. This card comes with a 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for the 18 billing cycles. After that, you could qualify for a relatively low ongoing APR, depending on your creditworthiness — as low as 12.99% variable.
- Balance transfer fee promotion. Transfer balances to the BankAmericard® Credit Card within the first 60 days your account is open, and pay no transfer fees.
This is half of the one–two punch that makes the card so special. Intro APRs can sound great, until you realize how much you have to pay in balance transfer fees. Few cards waive those fees, making the BankAmericard® Credit Card a stellar pick if you want a zero-cost transfer.
You’ll also like …
- No penalty APR. If you miss a payment, you won’t be charged a penalty APR. Some banks raise your APR as high as 29.99% variable if you pay late.
- Free FICO score. Monitor your FICO score online or through Bank of America’s app.
- Overdraft protection. Link an eligible Bank of America checking account with your credit card to protect yourself from overdrafts.
- Security and safeguards. This chip-enabled card comes with $0 liability for fraud, ShopSafe online shopping protection and email and text alerts.
What to watch out for
- Foreign transaction fees. When you use this card outside the United States, you’ll pay 3% of each transaction in fees.
- End of intro APR. After the 18 billing cycles, your 0% intro APR expires. Your outstanding balances will start accumulating interest at an APR of 12.99% to 22.99% variable.
How good is the BankAmericard® Credit Card‘s balance transfer fee promotion?
Your typical credit card comes with a fee for each balance transfer — usually 3% for each transaction. That means on a $10,000 balance transfer, you might pay $300 in fees.
Not so with the BankAmericard® Credit Card. If you transfer the same $10,000 within the first 60 days your account is open, you’ll pay $0 in fees.
That’s one of the reasons the BankAmericard® Credit Card is such a strong choice: You can transfer your debt for nothing, as long as you do so within the time limit. Very few cards offer this promotion, making the BankAmericard® Credit Card that much more special.
How does a balance transfer work with this card?
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the BankAmericard® Credit Card, you must be at least 18 years old (or at least 21, if you’re a permanent resident of Puerto Rico).
Information you’ll need
- Your name, residential status and residential address
- Your Social Security number and date of birth
- Your email address and phone number
- Financial information like your annual income, source of income and employment information
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of approval for the BankAmericard® Credit Card if you apply with a credit score of 670 or higher.
BankAmericard® Credit Card reviews and complaints
Cardholders generally like the BankAmericard® Credit Card‘s intro APR, though some think the card isn’t very useful after that rate expires.
Bank of America itself earns a Trustpilot score of 1.3 out of 5 at the time of this writing. Most negative reviews cite unhelpful customer support. Positive reviews often point to the bank’s easy-to-use website.
Bank of America also earns a A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau as of July 2021 and has been accredited since 1949.
I got the card. Now what?
- Keep on top of spending. Use Bank of America’s online banking to monitor your spending, view statements and make payments.
- Avoid unnecessary interest. After your intro APR expires, you’ll start paying interest toward all outstanding balances. If you take out a cash advance, you’ll pay interest from the day of your transaction.
- Avoid fees. While you aren’t charged a penalty APR, late and returned payments come with fees of up to $40.
- Customer service. Call Bank of America Customer Support at 800-432-1000 or email using an online secure form. Connect on social media using Twitter or Facebook @BankofAmerica.
Compare balance transfer cards
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
The simple BankAmericard® Credit Card may work best if you want an option to pay down existing debts. It’s a great choice for balance transfers, as it combines a no-transfer-fee offer with an intro APR.
Frequently asked questions
Credit card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our team evaluates credit cards to determine their value against similar cards on the market.
We rank card types — travel, cash back, business — on a set of factors that are most relevant to that type of card. We create these rankings to help you narrow down a credit card that best suits your spending and budget.