Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Guide to Bank of America’s Museums on Us perk
Use your Bank of America card to get free entrance to museums.
Updated . What changed?
Bank of America credit cards come with a unique perk: free admission to certain museums at select times. This perk is great for families looking for a fun outing, or for those who just want to enjoy a day at a museum without worrying about the cost of a ticket.
What is the Bank of America Museums on Us program?
This is a program that gives Bank of America cardholders general admission at no cost to cultural institutions across the United States. It’s valid during the first full weekend of each month. You’re eligible for free general admission if you’re an individual cardholder. This includes being an authorized user.
How to get the Bank of America museum perk
Visit a participating museum during the first full weekend of each month and present your Bank of America credit card along with your ID. You will get one free admission per Bank of America credit or debit card.
Finder Pro Tips: How to get the most out of your free museum perk
Credit Cards Publisher
I love the free museum access offered through Bank of America’s Museums on Us program. Here are a couple tips I have:
- Make your significant other an authorized user: Each cardholder is only allowed one free entrance. However, if you make your spouse or significant other an authorized user, they can get museum access without needing to open their own account with Bank of America. I made my husband an authorized user on my account, so he visits museums free with me! Of course, only add someone as an authorized user if you trust them.
- Keep this card perk in mind when traveling. If you’re traveling out of town on the first weekend of the month, take a look at the museums that are in the program in the city you’re visiting. I’ve almost accidentally paid for a museum that was a part of the Museums on Us program. Thankfully I tried to pay with my Bank of America card and the admissions attendant pointed out I got free access with my card!
- Not all museums advertise this perk. Once again, it’s up to you to remember to use this perk and which museums are a part of the program. While I’ve seen some museums put out signs on the free admission days, not all museums advertise free days.
What museums accept Bank of America cards for free admission?
More than 200 museums across the country participate in the Bank of America Museums on Us program, so you’re likely to find a museum you would love to visit. You can find the full list of participating museums on the Bank of America website, but we’ve listed a few here to give you an idea of what you can see in various cities:
- New York. The Metropolitan Museum of Art and Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum.
- Chicago. Adler Planetarium, Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago History Museum and DuSable Museum of African American History.
- Philadelphia. African American Museum in Philadelphia, Museum of the American Revolution, National Museum of American Jewish History and Philadelphia Museum of Art.
- San Antonio. Briscoe Western Art Museum, McNay Art Museum, San Antonio Museum of Art, The DoSeum: San Antonio’s Museum for Kids and Witte Museum.
- Seattle. Northwest African American Museum, Seattle Art Museum and Wing Luke Museum of the Asian Pacific American Experience.
Bank of America partners with a variety of cultural institutions for its Museums on Us program. You’ll find qualifying museums across the country.
What’s changed in 2020?
Bank of America periodically adds and removes museums from the qualifying list. Since our last update, these museums are no longer listed as eligible for free entry:
- Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum (New York)
- Museum of the City of New York
- National Veterans Art Museum (Chicago)
There may be other museums not eligible anymore that we haven’t included on our list.
Compare Bank of America cards with free museum access
Whichever Bank of America credit card you choose, know that they are all eligible for the museum offers. Compare Bank of America card to find one that suits your financial needs.
Are there any limitations to this perk?
Unfortunately, yes. Here’s what you need to know:
- Not every museum is participating in the program. Despite that, there are more than 200 participating museums across the country, including the Metropolitan Museum of Art or the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York.
- One weekend of free access per month. You can get free admission only during the first full weekend of the month. If you want to visit a museum on the other days of the month, you’ll have to buy a ticket.
- One free admission per card. If you’re visiting a museum alone and you have one Bank of America credit card, there’s nothing to worry about. But if you’re visiting with a partner, you need another Bank of America card to get free entrance for the two of you.
- Primary cardholder. Only primary cardholders get free access. Authorized users don’t get this perk.
- You can’t access all museum events. For example, special exhibitions, ticketed shows and fundraising events are excluded from this perk.
If you already own a Bank of America credit card and you love visiting museums, enjoy free admission during the first full weekend of every month at participating museums across the country.
But if you don’t have a Bank of America credit card, consider applying for one to use this perk.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert