Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa® Card review
A no-annual-fee cashback card that comes with a long intro APR period on purchases and transfers.
- Get this card if you want to earn cash back and pay no annual fees.
- Pick something else if you’re looking for a higher cash back on specific categories.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Up to 1.5%
Intro purchase APR
for the first 15 months (then 13.99% to 25.99% variable)
|Product Name||Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa® Card|
|Purchase APR||0% intro for the first 15 months (then 13.99% to 25.99% variable)|
|Balance transfer APR||0% intro for the first 15 months (then 13.99% to 25.99% variable)|
|Balance transfer fee||Intro fee of $5 or 3% of the transaction, whichever is greater for the first 120 days (then $5 or 5%)|
|Cash advance rate||23.99% to 25.99% variable|
|Cash advance fee||$10 or 5% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Foreign transaction fee||3% of the transaction value|
|Interest free period||Up to 25 days|
|Late payment fee||Up to $37|
|Returned payment fee||Up to $37|
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
The Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa® Card is a simple credit card that comes with unlimited cash back on all purchases. If you use Apple Pay or Android Pay, you’ll get higher cash back during your first year. As an additional perk, the card has a long intro APR period on balance transfers and purchases and it has no annual fee.
Furthermore, you get a decent cash reward bonus once you spend $500 within the first 3 months of card membership, which is relatively easy to achieve compared to other credit cards.
Earn after spending $500 within the first 3 months from account opening. Redeem the bonus within one to two billing cycles after the first 3 months have passed.
Earn cash back.
Earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on all purchases. If you use the Android Pay or Apple Pay mobile wallet, you’ll earn 1.8% cashback for the first 12 months of card membership.
Intro APR period.
Get a 0% intro APR period on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months following your account opening. After that, a variable APR of 13.99% to 25.99% will apply. This could be useful if you’re looking to make a large purchase or if you want to transfer your balance from another account.
How much cashback rewards can I earn with the Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa® Card?
For annual spending of $17,000, you would earn $255. If you clear the signup bonus, the cash back for the first year would grow to $455.
You’ll also like …
No annual fee.
All of the cash back you earn will be a bonus, as you’ll pay no annual fee to own the card.
Fraud monitoring and zero liability.
Report your unauthorized transactions to Wells Fargo and you won’t be held liable. Also, the bank monitors accounts 24/7 for suspicious activity.
Cell phone protection.
Use this card to pay for your monthly cell phone bill and receive Wells Fargo phone protection of up to $600 against damage and theft, with a maximum of two claims per year.
Car rental insurance.
Get auto coverage against theft and collision damage when you pay for your car rental with your card.
Case study: Jing’s experience
Jing Jun Ma
I got the card for the 0% intro APR and the cash back after spending $500 in the first 3 months. As far as signup bonuses go, Cash Wise offers less than most competing cards. But I’m not going to complain about free cash back.
If I had to name three things I like about the card, they’d be:
- The signup bonus.
- The neon card looks great in my wallet — good contrast to the other darker cards I have.
- It’s easy to view and find my current FICO Score through my online account.
What to watch out for
Foreign transaction fees.
For each transaction you make when traveling abroad, you’ll pay a 3% fee. It may not seem like much, but it can quickly add up over a trip spanning several days.
Late payment fees.
Try to make your payments on time, otherwise, you’ll pay up to $37 for late and returned payments. On the positive side, there’s no penalty APR. Other cards have a penalty APR of up to 30% that can last indefinitely.
Compare similar cashback credit cards
How does a balance transfer work with this card?
You get a 0% intro APR period on balance transfers for 15 months following your account opening. After that, your rate reverts to a variable 13.99% to 25.99%.
For each balance transfer you make within the first 12 months, you’ll pay a fee of either $5 or 5% of the transaction, whichever is greater. After that, you’ll pay up to 5%. This means a balance transfer of $1,000 will cost you $50 in fees after the first year has passed.
What to know before you apply
To apply for the Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa® Card, you must be at least 18 years old and a US citizen or resident.
You’ll need to provide details, such as:
- Your full name and contact information.
- Date of birth and Social Security number.
- Employment status and gross annual income from all sources.
At this point, you can add an authorized user or request a balance transfer.
What credit score do I need?
You have a better chance of application approval with a credit score of 670 or higher. Also, you can get a lower APR and a higher credit line with a better credit score.
What do customers say about the Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa® Card?
Most complaints relate to the long waiting time to get your signup bonus — up to two billing cycles after the first 3 months have passed. Also, some customers complained about the low credit limit they received. But overall, most customers consider this a decent cashback card.
The Better Business Bureau has yet to rate or accredit Wells Fargo.
How to apply for the Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa® Card
- Visit Wells Fargo website and select the Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa® Card from the list of cash back cards. Click Apply now.
- If you’re an existing Wells Fargo customer, enter your login details. Or click Continue.
- Fill out the form with your personal and financial information.
- Review the application and submit it.
How long will it take to get my Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa® Card?
Usually, you get a decision within a minute of submitting your application. If additional information is required it could take a few business days up to a few weeks to receive a decision. Upon approval, you’ll get your card in seven to 10 business days by mail.
I got the card. Now what?
- Download the Wells Fargo Mobile app. To monitor your account, pay your bills, access your FICO® score and more.
- Avoid interest. Make sure that you understand when your intro APR expires. Paying off your outstanding balances from purchases and balance transfers before this happens can help you avoid unnecessary interest.
- Customer service. For support, call 800-642-4720. Or contact the bank via Twitter @WellsFargo or Facebook @WellsFargo.
How do I redeem rewards from Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa® Card?
You can choose from several ways to redeem your cashback rewards, including:
- Withdraw cash. Use your Wells Fargo ATM or debit card to withdraw cash rewards in $20 increments or walk into a branch for cash redemption.
- Deposit into Wells Fargo account. Make direct deposits to your Wells Fargo savings or checking account.
- Mortgage payment. Apply the rewards as a credit to your qualified Wells Fargo mortgage principal.
With Wells Fargo’s new online tool Cash Track you can set a cash redemption target and monitor your earnings using your online rewards account.
This is a simple credit card that offers a flat cashback rate on all purchases, a long intro APR period on balance transfers and purchases and you won’t pay an annual fee. And, unlike similar cashback cards, with the Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa® Card you get multiple redemption options.
Frequently asked questions