Wawanesa car insurance review 2021
Safe drivers in California or Oregon land low rates and hefty discounts, but mixed customer ratings.
finder.com's rating: 3.5 / 5
- Get a quote if you’re a safe driver looking for low rates.
- Pick something else if you can’t qualify or don’t live in its service area.
New car protection
|States served||California, Oregon|
|New car protection||No|
|Pay schedule||12 months, 6 months, monthly (fee applies)|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
- Low rates
- Transparent website
- Long list of discounts
- Local company
- Safe drivers only
- Hidden fees
- Poor customer service
- Limited states served
- Inconvenient online quote process
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||No|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Other discounts||Driver in training, Previous insurance, Autopay|
Sarah George is an insurance writer at Finder who’s penned over 400 articles, unraveling complicated topics about car, home and life insurance. Her insurance know-how has been featured in online publications, including Breeze, CBS, CNET and Reviews.com, as well as Finder’s YouTube channel. Sarah is working to become a Certified Educator in Personal Finance (CEPF).
Wawanesa covers your basic auto insurance needs with a variety of discounts to save more on your premium. The company keeps its rates low because it prefers a history of careful driving, so you’ll have to meet its strict driver criteria before you can get a policy.
However, your coverage options are limited compared to other companies, and the company sees more customer complaints than normal for its size.
Despite its high complaints, its customer service is highly rated in California. Overall, this company works well if you’re a safe driver looking for low rates in California or Oregon.
But if you’re curious about other options, narrow down a company for your next car insurance policy to find the best fit for your auto, lifestyle and budget.
How to get a free quote for Wawanesa auto insurance
Get started with this local car insurance company by applying from your phone or computer.
- Go to Wawanesa’s Auto Quotes page to sign up for a quote online. Or talk with a Quote Specialist at 877-929-2637.
- Confirm that you meet the eligibility requirements.
- Indicate your vehicle, preferred coverage and driving record information. Click Continue.
- Enter your personal information and finalize your details.
- Get your quote, accept coverage and enter your payment details.
What info do I need to apply?
Speed up the application process by gathering information that includes your:
- Vehicle make, model and license plate or VIN
- Driving record details
- Coverage needs
- Home address and phone number
- Driver’s license number
- Bank account, credit card or debit card information for payment
Qualifications for Wawanesa car insurance
Wawanesa enforces strict eligibility for drivers to get coverage, which helps keep rates low for all policyholders. But the company is transparent about who it covers. You must meet several license and driving requirements.
- Valid license for at least three years
- No more than one minor license point or at-fault accident within three years
- No accident-related injury claims within three years
- No DUIs or vehicle manslaughter within 10 years
What car insurance discounts can I get with Wawanesa?
Wawanesa offers a variety of discounts. However, it’s missing a few that you’d see from other companies, such as a discount for homeownership or getting good grades as a student.
- Good driver. Score savings on your policy if you’ve been licensed for three years, have no more than one violation or driving point on your license and had no DUIs within the past 10 years.
- Driver training. Young drivers can shave savings off the premium by completing an approved safety course in Oregon.
- Mature driver improvement. Drivers ages 55 and older can net a discount for driver safety training.
- Antitheft recovery. Get a discount if your car is equipped with a vehicle recovery system like LoJack or GM OnStar.
- Previous insurance. Receive a discount for carrying an auto policy with a previous insurer before signing up with Wawanesa.
- Multicar. Save money by keeping all your cars insured on one policy.
- Multipolicy. Bundle your home, car, renters and other insurance policies for convenience and discounts.
- Autopay and e-statements. Sign up for automatic payments and email statements for a quick and easy discount.
- High credit score. Get a lower rate with a high credit score, which shows insurance companies that you pay bills on time and manage debt well.
- Military. Active or retired members of the US Armed Forces are eligible for a discount.
- Loyalty. Get rewarded when you’ve stayed with Wawanesa for at least one year.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Wawanesa offer?
The company offers several add-ons to bolster your protection. Its offerings include:
- Roadside assistance. Reimburses $100 per incident for minor roadside needs, up to twice per policy period for each car on a six-month policy. You can file for up to four incidents on an annual policy. You’ll need to go through Wawanesa’s preferred service network, or you can receive $50 per breakdown for your own licensed servicer.
- Rental expenses. Pays for a rental while your car is in the shop as long as you also carry comprehensive or collision. Choose limits up to $50 per day or $1,500 total for a six-month policy.
- Original manufacturer parts. Repair your car with original parts from the manufacturer. You can choose this option if your car is less than 11 years old and you keep both comprehensive and collision coverage.
- Rental car coverage. If you rent a car for personal reasons, the rental car will have the widest coverage of any car on your current policy. If you’re renting while your car is getting repaired after an accident, the rental car will have the same coverage as the car getting repaired.
Wawanesa car insurance reviews and complaints
Wawanesa has received an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB), as of 2021. It’s been accredited by the BBB for 46 years, showing longevity and deep industry experience. However, customers reviewing the company on the BBB give it an average 2 out of 5 stars. It has over 30 complaints, many involving customers frustrated with slow or unhelpful service and misunderstandings.
Also, the company holds a 1.44 score on the National Association of Insurance Commissioners complaint index for private auto insurance. The national standard is 1.00, showing that Wawanesa sees customer complaints slightly more than average.
That said, Wawanesa takes the No. 1 spot in California for the 2020 J.D. Power Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study, only surpassed by USAA which caters to drivers in the military. Wawanesa scored a high 853 out of 1,000 points for this state.
Our star ratings for Wawanesa, explained
Finder’s car insurance experts rate Wawanesa above average for its top BBB score, strong A financial rating from AM Best and high customer satisfaction in California. However, it lacks a few common discounts and sees an above-average number of complaints, which pulled its overall Finder rating down.
Alternatives to Wawanesa car insurance
See how Wawanesa stacks up to the coverage and benefits from other companies. Then, select Get quotes to see your customized quote.
What car insurance coverage does Wawanesa offer?
Wawanesa provides fairly standard coverage to get you on the road and meet your state’s requirements.
- Property damage liability. Repairs other people’s property, such as vehicles, fences or building damage.
- Bodily injury liability. Covers medical bills related to an accident you caused.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorist bodily injury. Takes care of medical expenses for you or your passengers if the driver at fault can’t cover you, and at the same limits as your bodily injury liability, unless otherwise indicated.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorist property damage. Pays for up to $20,000 in car repairs if an at-fault driver doesn’t carry enough insurance to cover expenses.
- Medical payments. Reimburses medical, dental, hospitalization or funeral expenses if an accident leaves you or your passengers down and out. This coverage includes protection for you and family living at your home if they get injured as pedestrians.
- Collision. Takes care of repairs to your own car after a collision where you’re at fault.
- Comprehensive. Covers damage not related to car collision, including from fire, theft, earthquake, broken glass or storm damage.
Pros and cons of Wawanesa car insurance
If you qualify as a safe driver and live within Wawanesa’s service area, Wawanesa could be a cheap local pick.
- Low rates. Because the company is strict on which drivers it covers, you may get lower standard rates with Wawanesa compared to some competitors.
- Long list of discounts. You can save big by qualifying for several discounts at once, including discounts for safe drivers or bundling your car insurance with other policies.
- Transparent website. This insurer gets extra points for laying out its eligibility terms before you go through the online quote process.
- Local company. If you prefer to shop local to an insurance rep specialized to your area, this company can check that box.
- Safe drivers only. This is almost a pro and a con. Wawanesa’s eligibility requirements leave room for only the healthiest of driving records, which excludes certain drivers but keeps rates low.
- Extra fees. If you pay in two or more installments, you’ll have to add up to $5 per payment for processing fees. You’ll also pay $50 for canceling your policy early, where most other companies don’t include a cancellation fee.
- Mixed customer ratings. The company sees its fair share of customer complaints, although it’s highly rated by J.D. Power in California.
- Limited states served. The company covers drivers in Oregon and California only.
- Inconvenient online quote process. You might get to the end of the online quotes process and have to call a representative, voiding the convenience this tool should offer. This happened to us twice when going through the system.
How to make a claim with Wawanesa
File your insurance claim with Wawanesa online or by phone at any time:
- Online. Enter details about your accident through the company’s online claims form.
- Phone. Call the company with your claim any time at 877-929-2637.
Frequently asked questions about Wawanesa car insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.