Upgrade Triple Cash Rewards, a card for home expenses
Earn 3% back on eligible home, auto and health purchases.
- Get this card if you want a card that earns rewards on home and auto maintenance.
- Pick something else if you want to earn rewards on a wider variety of rewards or you want a more traditional repayment option.
- Apply with a good credit score of 670 or higher.
3% back on eligible home, auto and health purchases and 1% back on all other purchases
8.99% to 29.99% variable
Minimum Credit Score
Steven Dashiell is a writer at Finder specializing in all things credit cards. With more than 300 articles under his belt, he aims to help readers embrace credit cards and maximize their rewards. Steve is studying to become a Certified Educator in Personal Finance, and is a frequent face on Finder’s YouTube channel, offering the latest in credit card hacks and advice. His expertise has been featured on numerous outlets, including U.S. News & World Report, Time, CBS, Fox Business, Lifehacker, Martha Stewart Living and more.
The Upgrade Triple Cash Rewards is a new rewards card from the unusual line of Upgrade cards. It charges no fees, earns 3% cash back on home, auto and health categories and 1% back on everything else and comes with an APR range of 8.99% to 29.99% variable.
Upgrade’s credit cards work on a hybrid credit-loan structure, and the Upgrade Triple Cash Rewards card is no different: any unpaid purchases on your balance made that month are added together and treated as a personal loan. Upgrade will then assign a minimum payment amount and monthly payment plan ranging from 24, 36 or 60 months.
The reward structure hits a few snags: you’ll receive your cash back only upon payments on your card. That means if you make a $2,000 purchase at a Home Depot and decide to pay it off over 36 months, that $60 in cash back will take more than a year to fully land in your account. The reward categories are also somewhat limited when compared to other 3% cashback cards, making this a poor card for earning everyday rewards.
While not outright terrible, the unusual hybrid structure of the card, inflexible repayment system and limiting cash back program make this a card that will only appeal to a small selection of consumers. Otherwise, there are stronger cash back options available.
How to apply for the Upgrade Triple Cash Rewards
You can apply for the Upgrade Triple Cash Rewards card by doing the following:
- Select Apply now.
- Select Get started under Upgrade Triple Cash Rewards
- Fill out the requested information, including your name, address, date of birth, income and email address.
- Select the agreement box and then select Check your credit line.
Upgrade Triple Cash Rewards card benefits
- Earn cash back. You’ll earn 3% back on eligible home, auto and health purchases. Earn 1% back on everything else.
- No fees. The Upgrade Triple Cash Rewards card features no fees.
- Unique pay over time structure. Any purchases you don’t pay off by the end of the month are added up and turned into a fixed rate payment plan. The assigned APR to this plan and repayment period – 24, 36 or 64 months – depends on your purchases and financial history.
Upgrade Triple Cash Rewards card drawbacks
- No grace period. You’ll start accruing interest from the day you make your purchase.
- Cash back paid out on payments. You only receive your cash back on your balance payments. This means you’ll need to wait for months to get your full cash back.
- No signup bonus. Unlike many other cashback credit cards, this card doesn’t offer a signup bonus.
- Payments are inflexible. Payments made during your pay over time period are fixed and are due at a set date even if you paid more than you needed the prior month.
Compare cashback credit cards
Explore your options by welcome offer, rewards and annual fee. Select the Apply now button to start an application for a particular product.
Upgrade Triple Cash Rewards card customer complaints and reviews
As of July 2021, Upgrade is accredited with the Better Business Bureau and has an A+ rating. As Upgrade is a newer company, there are just over 1,400 reviews and 100 complaints. Most complaints cite poor customer service or billing issues.
Upgrade receives a 4.6 out of 5 rating on Trustpilot based on nearly 15,000 customer reviews as of July 2021.
An extra 3% back on select categories isn’t quite enough to give the Upgrade Triple Cash Rewards hybrid structure a leg up on the standard credit cards on the market. Still, if the Upgrade hybrid structure is appealing to you, the Upgrade Triple Cash Rewards is your best bet among the Upgrade lineup. For everyone else, you’re better off comparing your other cashback card options.