United Auto car insurance review Jul 2020
Indiana and Illinois drivers can get instant coverage with any driving history.
finder.com’s rating: 3 / 5.0
- Get a quote if you want a fast process and flexible payments.
- Pick something else if you can find cheaper rates elsewhere or don’t live in Illinois or Indiana.
- Drivers with a history of accidents or claims or who need an SR-22 can get coverage.
New car protection
|States served||Illinois, Indiana|
|New car protection||Optional|
- Instant coverage
- Options for high-risk drivers
- Online account management
- Flexible payments
- Only available in two states
- Lack of transparency
- Can’t file claims online
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||No|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Other discounts||Renewal Discount|
Peter Carleton is a writer that covers banking and investing, breaking down what you need to know about where you put your money. When Peter's not thinking about cutting-edge banking apps and robo-advisors, he runs a creative agency and spends his spare time cooking or reading.
United is a small auto insurance provider in Chicago serving all of Illinois and Indiana. It provides excellent customer service to nearly any driver who needs coverage, regardless of their driving history. United offers competitive pricing and flexible payment plans and can find you customized coverage instantly, online or by phone.
It’s too bad this provider is only available in two states because it’s a solid pick for SR-22 insurance. Drivers who aren’t considered high risk can probably find better benefits and lower rates with another provider.
What car insurance coverage does United Auto Insurance offer?
United offers a wide selection of coverage options, including:
- Collision coverage. Pays to repair or replace your vehicle if it collides with another vehicle or object.
- Comprehensive coverage. Covers costs to repair or replace your vehicle if it’s damaged by something other than a collision — including theft, fire, vandalism or hitting an animal.
- Liability coverage. Pays another party’s medical expenses, vehicle repairs and property damage if you’re responsible for the accident. Bodily injury maximums are $100,000/$300,000, and $50,000 for property damage.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage. Covers medical expenses if you’re injured in an accident caused by someone who has no insurance or inadequate coverage. Maxes out at $100,000/$300,000.
- Medical payment expenses. Covers medical and funeral expenses if someone is injured or killed in an accident.
- SR-22. Offers state-mandated SR-22 filing for high-risk drivers, including those who’ve been charged with a DUI, driving without proper insurance or driving on a suspended license.
What other perks and benefits can I get?
- Roadside assistance. For an extra cost, members of the Motor Club get access to 24/7 roadside assistance anywhere in the country. This includes jump starts, tire changes, gas delivery, mechanical assistance and more.
- Last-minute coverage. United sells policies online and by phone, giving you instant coverage quickly before your old coverage expires.
- Flexible payments. Enjoy a wide range of payment methods including debit or credit card, a personal check or Western Union. It also offers flexible payment plans designed to fit your budget.
What discounts can I get with United Auto Insurance?
United has a reputation for cheap auto insurance and offers a few main auto insurance discounts that help keep its prices competitive.
- Multi-car discount. Earn a discount when you insure two or more vehicles on the same policy.
- Safe driver discount. Applied automatically, this discount helps you save when drivers on your policy maintain a clean driving record.
- Renewal discount. Earn a discount when you stay with United without any lapses in coverage.
Available discounts and amounts vary, so you should call this provider or get a quote to find out exactly how much you could save.
Pros and cons of United Auto
Whether you have a poor driving history, gap in prior insurance or a limited budget, this provider aims to offer the lowest possible price. It’s home to a selection of customizable policies, adjustable monthly payment plans and a number of convenient payment options that make getting coverage quick and easy.
- Instant coverage. Policies can be purchased online and by phone and instated immediately if you need last-minute coverage.
- Options for high-risk drivers. United aims to offer coverage to all drivers, regardless of driving history, prior insurance, age or other factors.
- Online account management. United’s online system allows customers to manage their account and pay bills from the comfort of their own home.
- Flexible payments. Pay your premiums to fit your schedule.
- Only available in two states. Unfortunately, United’s auto insurance policies are only available in Illinois and Indiana.
- Lack of transparency. United’s site is somewhat unclear about what policies and features are available.
- Can’t file claims online. You’ll need to call a United Auto Insurance agent to get started on the claims process.
Compare alternatives to United Auto
What do customers say about United Auto Insurance?
With its headquarters in Chicago, United Auto Insurance has been selling affordable car insurance in the greater Chicago area for over 50 years. United Auto Insurance has been accredited with the Better Business Bureau since 2014, earning an impressive A+ rating and 5 out of 5 stars.
As of July 2018, all 13 of its customer reviews are positive, with customers raving about United’s customer service team and how quick and easy it was to get coverage. While there have been 12 complaints over the last year, all issues have been resolved. This provider also has over 400 reviews on Google, with an average of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
How to apply for United Auto
Getting coverage through United is easy and can be done online, by phone and in person.
- Visit the United site, enter your ZIP code and select Auto under the Get a Free Quote Now widget and click Get a Quote.
- Add driver information for each person you’d like to insure. Enter your personal information and license details, then click No if you are done adding drivers.
- Add your vehicle information or enter your VIN, then click No, unless you’re adding another vehicle.
- Review your quotes, then click Buy if you’re interested in moving forward with purchasing coverage.
- Enter your email, home address and employer’s address, then click Continue.
- Enter your driver’s license info and other driver details, then click Continue.
- Enter any other details and payment info when prompted, then continue to purchase coverage.
Phone. Call 773-202-5000 to speak with an agent who can walk you through the process of getting a quote and purchasing a policy.
Agent. You can also purchase coverage in person by visiting a branch.
What info do I need to apply?
Regardless of how you decide to apply, here’s what information you’ll need:
- Personal information, including your name, address, date of birth, phone number and email address.
- Driver details, including your occupation, license type, driver’s license number and driving history.
- Vehicle information, including the make, model, year, VIN and how it’s used.
- Your employer or school’s address.
How do I find a United Auto Insurance agent near me?
United Auto Insurance provides coverage to residents throughout Illinois and Indiana. Here’s how to locate your nearest branch:
- Visit the United Auto Insurance site.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click Contact Us.
- Locate the phone number for your area and call to speak with an agent from your nearest branch.
How to file an auto insurance claim with United
Unfortunately, you won’t be able to file claims online. Instead, call the customer service line to speak with a representative to get started.
What info do I need to file a claim?
- Incident details, including what happened and the date and location.
- Vehicle information for all parties.
- Driver information for all parties.
- Insurance information for all parties, including the policy numbers.
- Contact information for all parties.
How to contact United Auto Insurance
You can reach out to United Auto’s customer service team a few different ways.
- Chicago, Illinois: 773-202-5000
- North suburban, Illinois: 847-328-9200
- West suburban, Illinois: 630-545-0300
- South suburban, Illinois: 708-453-0018
- Far west suburban, Illinois: 815-725-5100
- Indiana: 219-881-0800
Representatives are available weekdays from 8 am to 9 pm CT, Saturdays from 8 am to 5 pm CT and Sundays from 9 am to 3 pm CT.
Email. Drop a note to firstname.lastname@example.org and a representative will get in touch with you.
Fax. Send a fax to United Auto Insurance by dialing 773-202-5009.
Mail. For snail mail, you can address your letter to:
- United Auto Insurance
- 3201 North Harlem Avenue
- Chicago, Illinois 60634-4502
Frequently asked questions about United Auto Insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.