Sometimes it’s more convenient to hop in a taxi than negotiating your way around public transport, but do you opt for an Uber or taxi? We’ve done some research to find out which is cheaper to help you make the decision.Read more…
Uber alternatives in the UK
What are the best Uber alternatives available in the UK?
Whether you’re running an errand across town or exploring a city far from home, Uber has long offered a means of getting there easily.
The app allows you to call the nearest available driver to your location and tell them where you want to go. The Uber app shows you the fare you will pay, including surge charges during popular travel times. You can also see the current location of the driver so you can track them as they arrive. It’s an ingenious system that has seen millions of us using it in recent years.
But London’s transport authority, TfL, has recently banned Uber in the capital for a second time, citing concerns about customer safety after vulnerabilities in the app let drivers fake their identities on thousands of rides.
So with Uber losing its licence in London, what alternatives does the capital offer and how do they compare? We rounded up the best options below so that you can make your own mind up.
- Free Now
- Addison Lee
Kapten is another ride-hailing app, founded in France but launched in London in 2019, with over 3,000 drivers serving zones 1–5.
- Clean air bonus. Most of Kapten’s cars are hybrid or electric.
- “Car free day”. Kapten encourages the use of public transport.
- Affordable fees. Rides with Kapten start from just £5.
Bolt is an Estonian ridesharing company which also allows users to request a taxi or private driver from their smartphone.
- Other services. Bolt also offers electric scooters and food delivery services.
- Low fees. Bolt boasts the lowest commission and fairest treatment of drivers.
- Low, affordable fares. Bolt offers competitive fares when compared to competition.
Unlike other ride-hailing apps, Xooox allows cab drivers to find their own fares and set their own prices, placing them back in control of their own livelihoods.
- Lists real-time pricing and ETAs. Know exactly what it’ll cost and when you’ll arrive
- No rating system for drivers and riders. Don’t worry about miscommunication leading to a bad rating.
- Environmentally friendly. Electric-only cars available.
Wheely is the luxury ride-hailing app with professional chauffeurs where users can book single or multiple cars on demand or in advance.
- Personalised journeys. Choose your radio station, music stream, temperature and route.
- Plan ahead. Schedule your journey in advance or for others.
- Superior quality vehicles. Enjoy professional service in professional quality vehicles.
With ViaVan, passengers will be seamlessly matched in real time with other riders headed their way, sharing their trip in a professionally chauffeured vehicle.
- Available in London. ViaVan is currently live in London’s zones 1 and 2.
- Ridesharing. Share the trip and split the cost with others on your route.
- Low fares. Split the fare and keep costs low.
6. Free Now
Free Now bills itself as “Europe’s largest taxi app”, working with existing black cab drivers to provide pick-ups within five minutes of hailing.
- Supports local taxi drivers. Enjoy the benefits of local, licensed taxi drivers.
- Quick service. Pick up a ride in minutes with more than 100,000 drivers around the world.
- Pay by the meter. Transparent fares that you can see while you ride.
Similar to Free Now, Gett is focussed on business travel and allows users to hail taxis driven by licensed taxi drivers.
- Available in over 1,500 business centres. Enjoy hassle-free business travel across Europe and North America.
- Low-cost fares. Keep your business expenses low.
- Pay by the meter. Transparent pricing on standard taxi meters.
8. Addison Lee
With roomy Ford Galaxys and VW Sharans, Addison Lee prides itself on quality journeys in cars tailored to your needs.
- Other services. Addison Lee also offers a courier service.
- Stay connected. Enjoy free 4G Wi-Fi so you can work while you travel.
- Fixed fares. Know exactly what you’ll pay before you pay it.
Transport for London has stripped Uber of its licence. How much out of pocket are consumers going to be in extra taxi fares?Read more…
More guides on Finder
The best fake tans for 2021
Is your skin in need of a touch of colour? We’ve rounded up the best fake tans out there on the market, for all skin types.
A complete guide to buying, selling and investing in silver
Find out your different investment options, the benefits of investing in silver and what the possible risks are.
Best pension fund
Looking for the best pension fund to invest your pension in? We’ve found some of the best ones by their compound annual growth rate.
How to invest in a volatile market: 3 strategies
Find out what you need to consider when investing in a volatile market and 3 popular strategies for doing so. Paid content.
Best current accounts in the UK 2021
Find out what the best bank account is for packaged accounts, basic accounts and cashback accounts.
Where to watch Keeping Up With The Kardashians online for free
Find out where the easiest place to stream Keeping Up With The Kardashians is online.
Best car insurance for over 50s in the UK right now
We’ve reviewed and rated the best car insurance providers out there in the UK for over 50s.
Mask usage in the UK and around the world
97% of Brits own a face mask, the most out of all the 15 countries in our global study.
Zip review: Shop now, pay in four equal chunks
Allowing users to shop now and pay later, find out exactly how Zip works, whether there are any hidden costs or fees and if it’s right for you.
Best multi-car insurance
We’ve rated the best multi-car insurance companies in the UK right now taking into account the strength of the policy and any discounts available.
Ask an Expert