Methodology for retail brand customer ratings
You’ll find customer star ratings on some of our shopping and product reviews. Here’s how we came up with them.
“Customer score” or “user survey” star ratings
You may have noticed that some of our shopping pages, tables and reviews come with “customer score” or “user survey” star ratings. These are customer-generated scores, where we asked consumers to tell us how they rated products they had purchased and used from brands in the following 8 categories:
- Home Entertainment (TVs, sound bars and stereo/sound systems)
- Personal Technology (mobile phones, laptops, tablets, smart watches, earbuds and headphones)
- Small Kitchen Appliance (kettles, toasters, coffee machines, air fryers and microwaves)
- Big Kitchen Appliance (fridges, freezers, fridge-freezers, dishwashers, washing machines, tumble dryers and washer-dryers)
- Health & Styling Appliance (hair dryers, hair curlers, hair straighteners, shavers, beard trimmers and electric toothbrushes)
- Home Workout (treadmills, rowing machines, cross trainers, exercise bikes, free weights and home weight benches)
- Mattress & Bedding (mattresses, pillows and duvets)
- Vacuum & Floorcare (corded vacuums, cordless vacuums, handheld vacuums, stick vacuums, carpet cleaners and steam cleaners)
Customer survey ratings methodology
In June 2022, Finder ran an independent customer survey about retail brands. We polled the following number of customers in each category:
- Home Entertainment: 1,427 respondents
- Personal Technology: 1,963 respondents
- Small Kitchen Appliance: 1,578 respondents
- Big Kitchen Appliance: 1,315 respondents
- Health & Styling Appliance: 1,301 respondents
- Home Workout: 752 respondents
- Mattress & Bedding: 1,291 respondents
- Vacuum & Floorcare: 1,194 respondents
The survey asked customers to rate a category product they had purchased and used in the last two years in the following areas:
Value for money: On a scale of 1 to 5
Reliability: On a scale of 1 to 5
Performance: On a scale of 1 to 5
Overall satisfaction: On a scale of 1 to 5
Would recommend?: We asked respondents whether they would recommend the brand to a friend or not
Final customer score: We averaged the scores from the 5 areas above to give an overall customer score for each brand in each category. The final rating was then rounded to the nearest half star, to give the following 1 to 5 range:
★★★★★ – Excellent
★★★★★ – Good
★★★★★ – Average
★★★★★ – Subpar
★★★★★ – Poor
More guides on Finder
New Year’s resolution statistics 2024
A recent survey from Finder has found 66% of the UK population – or 35 million Brits – will be making New Year’s resolutions for 2024.
Where to buy a PlayStation 5 in the UK | Buy PS5 online in the UK | In-stock & available
The fifth PlayStation console launched in the UK on 19 November 2020. We’ve rounded up all the places you can buy the PS5 in the UK.
Black Friday spending expected to increase to £6 billion
Across the UK shoppers are expected to spend an estimated £6 billion on Black Friday this year, which is an increase of £400 million on 2019’s estimated figure of £5.6 billion.
Where to buy an Xbox | Best online Xbox deals December 2023
Spending extra time at home? Treat yourself to the latest console from Xbox and find out where to get the best deal here.
Top 8 Clearpay sites
Buy now and pay later at these top 8 online retailers partnered with Clearpay. Shop fashion, beauty, homewares and more.
Brits could spend up to 150% more at airport duty free than online
According to research from Finder, Brits who shop at duty free could be spending up to 150% more than if they were to spend with online retailers.
Boxing Day laptop sales 2023
Looking to score a bargain on a new laptop this Boxing Day? Check out the best deals and discounts here and save on Acer, Samsung, HP, Dell and Apple!
Simba Sleep discount codes and vouchers December 2023
Looking for a new mattress? Check out Simba Sleep and score a great saving today with our latest Simba discount codes and vouchers.
Unwanted Christmas gifts: How many do we receive?
The average amount spent on unwanted Christmas gifts is £37 per person, with around 33 million Brits receiving a gift they did not want.
Black Friday laptop deals 2023
We’ve put together a helpful guide on buying a brand new laptop on Black Friday. It includes the best deals on offer as well as what you need to consider to get the best laptop for your needs.