There are a number of options when it comes to insuring your house or belongings, whether you’re an owner-occupier, landlord or renter. Barclays offers both buildings and contents insurance, as well as premium cover for its Premier customers.
Barclays home insurance is also rated 5 stars by Defaqto. You can compare its range of home insurance options below.
What is Barclays?
Barclays plc is a British investment bank and financial services company that also offers a range of insurance products to cover home, travel and life insurance.
What are Barclays’ cover options?
- Barclays Home Insurance. The standard level of policy, which offers unlimited cover on building and contents and optional extras.
- Barclays Premium Home Insurance. A comprehensive policy offered to Premier customers that also covers accidental damage and loss.
Insurance is also available for landlords and students.
What is covered under my policy?
The level of cover offered by Barclays on its policies includes:
|Cover benefits||Barclays Home Insurance||Barclays Premium Home Insurance|
|Building sum insured||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Alternative accommodation||£100,000||£150,000 (or up to 3 years)|
|Renovations and extensions||X||✓|
|Accidental damage cover||Optional||✓|
|Single items||Up to £2,500||Up to £15,000|
|Valuables||Up to £20,000||No upper limit|
|Gadgets, bikes, sports equipment||Optional||Worldwide|
|Art, antiques and collections||Up to £20,000||No upper limit|
In terms of contents insurance, you also have the choice of regular Contents cover or Starter Contents cover.
There are a number of additional cover options you can add to your Barclays home insurance policy:
- Accidental building damage
- Home emergency cover
- Legal cover
- Cover for sports equipment and bikes
What is my excess?
The excess is what you need to pay in the event you need to make a claim. Your insurance excess is the amount you have to pay each time you make a claim. You can also choose to pay a voluntary excess, which can help reduce the cost of your premiums. However, you would then need to pay the additional excess amount whenever you make a claim. Barclays also offer a five-year no claims discount if you do not make a claim for five years. More information about your excess can be found in your insurance policy document.
How much is this going to cost me?
The cost of your insurance is influenced by a large range of factors, including:
- The type of policy you get. Whether you choose to insure your building, contents or both will help determine how much you pay. You will also pay more if you opt for Barclays Premium insurance or add optional extras, but will also receive a higher level of cover.
- Your sum insured. The amount you receive in the event your house or contents are destroyed or need to be replaced. Barclays offers unlimited cover on buildings and contents, but you can also increase the size of your sum insured on specific items.
- The age and type of home. The size, structure and history of your house all affect the cost of insurance.
- Your location. If you live in an area that’s a high risk for things like fire, theft or flood, your premium will likely be higher.
- Security. You can reduce the cost of insurance by securing your house with cameras, fences and locks.
What is the claims process for Barclays?
You can make a claim online using either MyPolicy or by completing Barclays’ online form. You can also make a new claim via phone at any time. You may need to provide the following information as part of your claim:
- Your policy number
- Details of the incident
- The damage done to your building and contents
Barclays pros and cons
- Barclays Platinum home insurance has a 5-star rating from Defaqto
- Policies for landlords, students and renters
- 24-hour claim line
- Unlimited cover on buildings and contents
More guides on Finder
review September 2021
If you are a Barclays Premier customer, you can get a discounted rate on your personal loan. We cover how it works, if it’s worth it and how to apply.
review September 2021
Barclays’ existing customers in need of some extra financial support for their personal projects can apply for this fee-free unsecured personal loan.