How to cancel Diamond car insurance
We walk you through cancelling your Diamond car insurance policy.
Perhaps you’ve found a better deal elsewhere or you simply don’t need car insurance anymore. Depending on how long you’ve had your Diamond insurance, and what policy you have, you might have to pay a hefty fee to leave.
We outline the charges you can expect to pay and give a step-by-step guide to cancelling or switching from your Diamond car insurance.
How to cancel your Diamond car insurance policy early
You can cancel your policy anytime, however you might have to pay Diamond a pretty penny to get out now the “cooling off” period is over. Here are the steps you can expect to take.
- Call, email or write a letter to Diamond explicitly saying that you want to quit your policy.
- Diamond will cancel your contract on the day you make contact, or from a later date of your choosing.
- If you pay monthly and there is an outstanding premium on your account you have ten days to pay this off. Diamond will charge you extra if there are any delays.
- Diamond will then refund any remaining premium.
- However, Diamond will charge you an administration fee for cancelling early, as well as a leaving fee, which it will subtract from your refund total.
- If you’ve had a claim it won’t give any money back whatsoever.
So you’ve had Diamond for a few days but it’s not your cup of tea. You might well have seen a more enticing deal elsewhere. If so, here’s how to leave Diamond during your cooling off period.
- Make contact within 14 days of getting the Diamond welcome letter or email. You can do this by calling, emailing or writing a letter.
- Diamond should halt your policy that very day, so you’ll need to get a new car insurance policy starting immediately.
- Diamond will then refund you your premium, minus an administration charge. This could be over £100 if you’ve had the “little box” installed.
Things to consider before cancelling your policy with Diamond
You don’t have to rush into cancelling your Diamond car insurance tomorrow. You have a couple of alternative routes you can take, so it’s definitely worth thinking about these few crucial factors below.
- Fees. As discussed you could be hit with two different charges by Diamond. So it’s worth working out if the money you’ll get refunded makes up for these early exit fees.
- No claims. Diamond might not let you take your no claims discount if you exit early, which could ultimately cost you when it comes to taking out your next policy.
- Have you made a claim? If you’ve made a claim then you won’t get a refund when you cancel. It could be worth sticking with Diamond so you don’t throw money down the drain.
- Adjust policy instead. Perhaps you want a different level of coverage or you want to lower your excess. Diamond will still charge you an administration fee for adjusting your policy, but it could be cheaper than fully cancelling.
Changing car insurance provider
You might be in the final month of your Diamond car insurance policy and hankering for a move to a new provider. Perhaps it’s too expensive or you think you can get more bang for your buck elsewhere. Whatever the case, here are the steps you should take.
- Get in touch with Diamond and make sure it doesn’t auto-renew your insurance policy and that you want to quit on a certain day. Call, email or send a letter.
- Compare, compare, compare. Use comparison websites so you can work out which new deal will offer you the level of cover you need for a price you’re comfortable with.
- Get quotes directly from providers too, some insurance companies won’t put some of its deals on external websites.
- Sign up to your new insurance provider the day you’ve scheduled to quit Diamond. You need car insurance even if the vehicle is just parked on the street.
- Make sure you send back any equipment, like a black box, so Diamond doesn’t charge you.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Car insurance admin charges
We explain what car insurance admin charges exist, when you might need to pay them and how to keep them to a minimum.
Admiral car insurance review
Compare and review all the policies on offer from Admiral car insurance and see if it provides cover that suits you.
How we score car insurance
How we rate car insurance and find our top picks. Our detailed methodology for policy analysis and customer satisfaction.
Methodology for insurance and breakdown cover ratings
You’ll find customer satisfaction star ratings on some of our insurance companies reviews. Here’s how we came up with them.
Car insurance claims
How to make a successful car insurance claim and get repairs covered fast.
Choice of repairer in car insurance
We explain whether you should go to a repairer approved by your car insurance provider, or your own repair shop.
How to save by adding kids to parent’s car insurance
Learn more about how parents’ can save their children money on car insurance by putting them as a named driver.
Direct Line car insurance review
Compare Direct Line’s car insurance options with our analysis and review. Find out what’s covered and how to make a claim.
Car insurance exclusions
Find out what car insurance won’t cover so you can avoid any nasty surprises at claim time.
Get agreed value car insurance quotes online
Find out how agreed value car insurance works and if it’s the right option for you.