Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own. Advertiser Disclosure

Suspended license in Arizona

Reinstate your license after following the MVD's steps, but beware of higher penalties for DUIs.

Find cheap car insurance quotes for SR22

Enter zip to see insurers who file SR22s.

Your information is secure.

How do I know if my license is suspended in Arizona?

The Arizona Motor Vehicle Services will notify you of your suspension by mail, or you can request your driving record online or in person for faster notification.

  • By mail. You should receive a suspension notice sent directly to your address on the MVD’s file. If not, you can request your driving record by sending a Motor Vehicle Record Request Form along with $3 for uncertified record or $5 for a certified record.
  • Online. Use the Arizona Department of Transportation services page to request, pay for and print your driving record.
  • In person. Go to your local MVD office to request your driving record personally.

Driving under the influence

If you’re found driving with a 0.08 percent blood alcohol level or more, you can receive a license suspension immediately. Refusing an alcohol or drug test can also bring a suspension of at least one year.

First DUI offenses can receive at least 10 days in jail and $1,250 in fines along with alcohol treatment, required ignition interlock system and community service. Repeat offenses may require a minimum of 90 days in jail, $3,000 in fines, one-year revoked license, alcohol treatment, ignition interlock and community service.

Reasons you’ll get a suspended license in Arizona

In Arizona, you can get a license suspension for accumulating too many points, driving impaired or getting several moving violations in the same year. Other reasons for a suspension:

  • Eight or more points on driving record
  • At fault in a fatal accident
  • Committing crimes with a vehicle
  • Driving without insurance
  • DUI offense
  • Failing to appear in court
  • Failing to attend driver improvement courses
  • Failing to pay fines, violations or traffic tickets
  • Hit-and-runs
  • Reckless driving
  • Refusing a drug or alcohol test
  • Too many moving violations

What happens if I get a suspended license in Arizona?

If you’re issued a suspended license, you can’t drive for a specific time, unless you have special permission from the MVD. Also, you’ll pay a $10 reinstatement fee and $10 to $25 application fee that varies based on your age. Some offenses like aggressive driving or running a red light require driver improvement training as well.

If you’re found driving with a suspended license, you could receive a $2,500 fine, your suspension increased by one extra year and up to six months in jail.

When can I drive my car again?

You can drive your car after completing your suspension, paying fines, serving jail time or community service and submitting your SR-22 form. Then, you’ll need to receive your new driver’s license before getting back on the road. However, some cases might qualify for a special restricted driver’s license if you meet certain requirements after a DUI suspension.

What is the Arizona hardship license?

The Arizona hardship license is actually called a Special Restricted Driver’s License. This license allows certain drivers convicted of a DUI to drive under special restrictions if they meet the requirements. Restrictions typically involve driving to and from work, school, doctor’s office visits or visits with a probation officer.

You may also need an ignition interlock system installed on your car. This system is wired to the DUI offender’s car and requires them to breath into an alcohol breath analyzer. If alcohol levels stay below the required range, the system allows the vehicle to start.

How to reinstate a suspended license in Arizona

To get your license back, you’ll have to pay a fine to get your license back, and the amount varies based on your age. If your license was suspended for not paying fines, you must pay those and bring the receipt to the MVD.

  1. Stay off the road. You’ll be required to stay off the road for a set period of time, and the time period will be listed on your MVD letter about your suspension.
  2. Apply for your license reinstatement and pay the applicable fees.
  3. Submit proof of financial responsibility for DUI offenses, alcohol or drug test refusals or uninsured violations. This is usually an SR-22 form from your insurance company.
  4. Get your driver’s license back.

Ways to reinstate your license

Arizona offers several ways to reinstate your license, but some methods include stipulations. You can apply for reinstatement in person, online or by mail.

  • In person. Visit the MVD to get your license reinstated in person.
  • Online. You can pay fees and apply for reinstatement through the Arizona Driver License Reinstatement page online. You’ll need a credit card for online payment.
  • By mail. The MVD’s mailing address is PO Box 2100, MD 555M, Phoenix, AZ 85001. However, you’ll need to send payments as a cashier’s check or money order.

    How to get car insurance with a suspended license in Arizona

    These insurance options may help you file an SR-22 to prove financial responsibility so that you can get your license back. Your insurer should get the appropriate documentation to the Arizona Secretary of State.

    Consider these insurer options after suspension:

    • Standard insurers. Some local or well-known companies cover many drivers, but these may charge a high premium to offset your higher driving risk.
    • High-risk companies. Specialized, high-risk companies could mean guaranteed coverage, and maybe even better value and coverage. However, you might have to do your research to find the best options.
    • WAIP providers. Western Association of Automobile Insurance Plans (WAIP) is a nonprofit connection service that can help high-risk drivers find affordable insurance.

    Compare Sr-22 car insurance companies

    Arizona takes license suspensions seriously, especially if it’s related to a DUI. On the other hand, minor offenses may require nothing more than a period without driving and a few minor fees to get your license back. Plus, suspended drivers here have more high-risk insurance options than other states, especially if they use a specific nonprofit.

    1 - 6 of 10
    Name Product Roadside assistance Accident forgiveness States served
    AL, AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, DE, DC, FL, GA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, WA, WV, WI, WY
    This broker shines with over 600 positive customer reviews, more top ratings than any broker we've compared.
    All 50 states
    Get your most compatible insurance options via a "smart matching" method aimed at finding you value.
    All 50 states & DC
    Affordable car insurance with highly rated customer service. Only available to military members and veterans and their family.
    All 50 states & DC
    Get quotes in 30-seconds from 100+ companies, and save an average of $800 or more per year. Requires online login to your existing insurance.
    AZ, CO, IL, IN, MD, MO, OH, OK, TX, WI
    Benefit from this online-based startup’s steep savings and convenient online quotes and claims.
    All 50 states
    Compare personalized rates from multiple insurance companies in one go. Plus, access a live agent for any questions along the way.

    Compare up to 4 providers

    Bottom line

    In Arizona, you could get a suspension for several reasons that don’t involve heavy offenses like driving impaired or aggressive driving. These minor cases may have low-cost fees to get your license back. But even those with major convictions might need to compare car insurance to stay protected during and after a suspension.

    More guides on Finder

    Ask an Expert

    You are about to post a question on

    • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
    • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
    • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
    • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

    By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

    Questions and responses on are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.
    Go to site