Opening a SmartyPig Savings account takes a few minutes, but you’ll need your phone to complete the process.
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- Select Start Saving on the Smartypig website.
- Provide your email address and phone number, then create a password and agree to the terms.
- Enter the verification code sent to your phone, then select Verify.
- Fill in your name, address and date of birth, then link a funding source, such as a checking account.
- Wait up to two business days for two small deposits to appear in your checking account, then verify those amounts with SmartyPig Savings.
- Create a savings goal once your account is verified and then set up monthly or biweekly deposits.
To open a SmartyPig Savings account, you must meet these requirements.
- At least 18 years old
- Citizen and resident of the US or US permanent resident alien with a green card
You’ll need to provide this key information when you apply for your account.
- Social Security number
- Driver’s license details
- Mobile phone number
- Date of birth
- Residential address — PO boxes are not acceptable
- Routing and account numbers for a funding source
The SmartyPig Savings account’s main perks are its high interest rate and userfriendly tracking for different savings goals.
- Tracks savings goals. Smartypig encourages you to set specific short- or long-term savings goals to help you build the habit of saving. You can see your progress and edit your goals at any time in the app.
- No fees. There are no fees to maintain a SmartyPig Savings account.
- Competitive APY. All Smartypig accounts earn 4.25% APY on balances up to and APY for balances over .
- Referral program. You’ll get $10 for every successful referral you make.
How much interest you can earn
With Smartypig, you’re getting a competitive interest rate that could lead to significant earnings for a savings account.
|4.25% up to ; over ||$15,000||$97.82|
You won’t have as much access or customer support with this account as you might by choosing a big-name bank with a wide branch network. A few downsides to bear in mind:
- No ATM or debit card. You can’t withdraw funds directly from this account through an ATM or debit card, a common feature for online-only savings accounts. And as usual, you’re limited to six monthly withdrawals of your funds.
- Limited support. The only way to reach Smartypig is by calling 877-751-6884, but customer support isn’t available on the weekends.
- Tiered APY. Smartypig’s rates drop as it grows, a feature that doesn’t encourage you to keep saving. However, its second APY tier is still over nine times higher than the national average.
If you want a savings account that rewards you with higher interest across all your funds, consider Quontic Bank’s High Yield Savings account, which also comes with a wide ATM network. If you’re looking for other options with goal-tracking features, you could see if an account with Chime or Ally Savings account is right for you.
Check out the features and fees for different savings accounts, and choose the right account for you by selecting Go to site when you’re ready.
Smartypig makes depositing and withdrawing money to and from your SmartyPig Savings account straightforward.
You can put money into your account by:
- Recurring transfers. You can link a checking or savings account to deposit funds on a recurring basis.
- Online transfers. You can send a one-time transfer from an external bank account to your Smartypig account.
- Set up direct deposit. Your employer can deposit some or all of your paycheck in your SmartyPig Savings account.
Currently, the only way to withdraw funds from your Smartypig account is to initiate an automated transfer from Smartypig’s website or app.
How do I contact SmartyPig for support?
You can contact a support specialist by calling 877-751-6884 on weekdays from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET.
You can also send a secure message to a SmartyPig representative by using the Message Center section of SmartyPig’s website. A representative will typically get back to you within one business day.
Savings account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top savings accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: interest rates, monthly fees, minimum deposits, customer service and account features.
Read the full methodology of how we rate savings accounts.