Safety car insurance review
Enjoy personal support from local agents in MA, ME and NH.
finder.com's rating: 2.5 / 5
- Get a quote if you want emergency road travel expenses
- Pick something else if you don’t live in New England.
- Drivers could save 24% or more by stacking discounts.
New car protection
|States served||Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire|
|New car protection||No|
|Pay schedule||12 months, monthly (fee applies), custom|
|Claims methods||Online, Phone, In-person|
- Disappearing collision deductible
- Emergency road travel expenses
- Accident forgiveness
- No live chat
- No online quotes
- Limited information online
- Limited service
|Anti-theft device discount||No|
|Defensive driving discount||No|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||No|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Other discounts||Up to 7% when you qualify for an Account Credit or a Multi-Car Discount and select electronic policy issuance.|
Roslyn McKenna is an insurance expert who's driven to help people get a great deal on insurance to protect their families and finances. Roslyn earned a BA in writing and communications from Maryville College and has written professionally for more than a decade, showing up on Bankrate, MSN and Reader's Digest.
If a local company with solid coverage and business ratings is what you’re looking for, Safety Insurance could be the company you’re looking for. You can look further into the policy details when you reach out to the independent agent near you.
As a New England driver, you’ll also enjoy a variety of possible discounts, and you can benefit from taking your car to a VIP claims centers to get your repair processed quickly.
However, its website isn’t the most comprehensive, so you’ll need to talk to an agent to find out if the coverage you want is available. And you won’t find certain common benefits like new car protection or safety feature discounts.
How to apply for Safety car insurance
To get started with your Safety car insurance application, you’ll need to use the agent locator to find the nearest independent agent to you. To apply:
- Navigate to the Find An Agent toll on Safety’s main website.
- Type in your ZIP code and view the locations closest to you on the map.
- Tap a location to see the contact details.
- Visit the address listed or call the agency’s phone number.
- Give details about your car, personal information, driving history and any other drivers who will be listed on the policy.
- Review the quote the agent offers and ask any followup questions about Safety’s coverage.
- If you like what you find, tell the agent that you’d like to start your policy.
- Finalize your paperwork and make your first premium at signup.
What car insurance discounts can I get with Safety?
You can rack up one or more discounts for a variety of reasons with Safety Insurance. Discount options vary by state, though.
- Good student. Knock off 10% if you make a B average or make your school’s Dean’s list or honor role.
- Loyalty. Up to 4% when you stay insured with Safety or kept continuous insurance with your previous car insurance company.
- Multi-car. Up to 10% off when you buy insurance on two or more cars in your household.
- Multipolicy. Up to 15% off when you buy a qualifying business, home or renters insurance policy.
- Online documents. Up to 7% off when you qualify for a multi-car or multipolicy discount and choose the electronic policy option.
- Safe driver. Up to 10% if you go claim-free for five to six years. Your discount may go up to 24% once you hit six years sans claims.
- Crash prevention course. Up to 5% off when you complete the qualifying driver safety source
- Student away. Up to 10% off when you go to college at least 100 miles away from home without access to a car.
- Telematics. Up to 5% off for qualifying drivers who download the Drive with Safety app to track their driving behavior.
What car insurance coverage does Safety offer?
You’ll find all the coverage you need and then some when you look for insurance through this local company.
- Bodily injury liability. Pays for medical bills and legal fees if you hurt someone by causing a car incident.
- Collision. Covers body damage to your car if you hit someone else’s car or a pole or other object.
- Comprehensive. Kicks in for body damage to your car from storms, theft or someone causing intentional harm to your car. Storms can include hail, a windstorm, flooding, lightning or a tree branch falling.
- Gap. Pays the rest of your car loan if your car gets totaled in an accident but you owe your lender money.
- Medical payments. Covers your or your passengers’ medical bills after an accident if the other driver’s insurance doesn’t pay out for injuries.
- Personal injury. Kicks in for medical bills and, depending on the state, income loss, childcare or house care needs if you’re injured and can’t do these duties yourself.
- Property damage liability. Pays for physical damage to someone else’s car or another kind of property like a fence or guard rail if you cause that accident damage.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorist. If you get hit by a driver who doesn’t carry insurance — or at least not enough to pay for your injuries and car’s damage — you won’t have to haggle that driver’s insurance to get the proper payout.
What add-ons and extra features does Safety Insurance offer?
Round out your car insurance coverage with a few extras to ensure you’re protected for almost any possible scenario. Those include:
- Safety Shield bundle. This bundle of add-ons may include coverage for guaranteed car replacement cost, towing, airbag mechanical failure, personal belongings, extended rental car reimbursement and emergency travel expenses for lodging and meals after an accident.
- Safety Shield Plus bundle. This bundle includes all add-ons from the Safety Shield plus coverage for accident forgiveness, extended personal belongings, pet injuries and bail bonds.
- Pet injury. This optional coverage takes care of your furry friend’s vet bills if they’re along for a ride and get injured during a car accident.
- Rental reimbursement. Add this extra to your policy so that you get a rental car in place of your current car while it’s in the shop.
- Roadside assistance. Need help with flat tires, jumpstarting your battery or getting a tow? This additional coverage can provide those services and more when you call the roadside assistance number for help.
- Mobile app. Safety’s Mobile lets you access your customer account on the go, paying your bill, viewing your account info and insurance card, finding your agent’s contact details and filing and tracking claims. Plus, set email or text alerts, so you don’t miss payment due dates.
- Telematics app. Download the Drive with Safety app to track and improve your driving skills through your phone, possibly qualifying for a discount.
Safety car insurance reviews and complaints
Safety Insurance holds an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). Though it’s gained only 1 out of 5 stars for a handful of customer reviews, only 10 people have filed complaints with Safety from 2017 to 2020.
Safety also scored a 0 for the 2019 National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) complaint index, which is a perfect rating compared to the national standard 1.00. Any number below the standard shows that a company had fewer complaints than is typical for its size.
However, Safety scored 787 out of 1,000 points for customer satisfaction in JD Power’s 2020 auto insurance study. That score is below the New England average of 821.
To round out the ratings, AM Best has given Safety Insurance an A (Excellent) financial rating, suggesting solid finances to stand behind your claims.
Compare alternatives to Safety
Who is Safety car insurance best for?
New England drivers can talk to a local Safety agent for expert car insurance help. The draw of Safety is its one-on-one help, especially when making a claim. You also can take your car to one of its VIP claim centers for faster repairs.
Pros and cons of Safety
- Local agent support. You get the personalized support of an independent agent starting from the time you apply.
- Enhanced coverage bundles. Safety offers extra perks like accident forgiveness, disappearing deductibles and emergency travel expenses if you buy its enhanced coverage package.
- Solid service and finances. Safety doesn’t keep many customer complaints on reputable sites like the Better Business Bureau (BBB), and it also has the finances to back up your claims.
- No online quotes. You won’t get the convenience of a quick, online quote—you have to contact an agent to get one.
- Only offers policies in three states. If you don’t live in Massachusetts, Maine or New Hampshire or you’d prefer a national company, you’ll have to look elsewhere.
- Limited agents and repair centers. Depending on your ZIP code, you might not find many local agents to choose from, and Safety has a few VIP repair centers available.
Frequently asked questions about Safety car insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you. We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.