Earn 20,000 bonus points and get 50% extra value when you redeem your points for airline rewards.
- Get this card if … you want a rewards card with no annual fee.
- Pick something else if … you want to pay no foreign transaction fees or need a better points-to-dollar ratio.
- Good to excellent credit score of 690 to 850 recommended.
The Wells Fargo Visa Signature® Card deserves your attention if you’re looking for a no-annual-fee card that comes with rewards. You’ll get a signup bonus of 20,000 points if you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first three months. You’ll earn 5x points across multiple categories for the first six months, and 1x points on all purchases thereafter.
You can redeem your points for travel, cash back, gift cards, merchandise and more. You’ll certainly save money with the card’s 0% intro APR offer for purchases and balance transfers for the first year. If you’re looking to use this card overseas, you may want to look elsewhere — there’s a 3% fee for foreign transactions.
An alternative for everyday spending: Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
The nuts and bolts
|Product name||Visa Signature Card|
|Issuing Bank||Wells Fargo|
|Recommended credit score range||690–850 (good to excellent)|
|Signup bonus||20,000 bonus points if you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months|
|Purchase APR||13.15%–26.99% variable|
|Intro Purchase APR||0% for 12 months, 13.15%–26.99% variable thereafter|
|Intro balance transfer APR||0% for 12 months, 13.15%–26.99% variable thereafter|
|Balance transfer fee||
|Foreign transaction fee||3% of each transaction in US dollars|
|Cash advance rate||24.99%–26.99% variable|
|Cash advance fee||$10 or 5% of the transaction, whichever is greater|
|Late payment fee||Up to $37|
|Returned payment fee||Up to $37|
|Overlimit fee||$12.50 if the total overdraft protection advance for the day is $50 or less; $20 if the total overdraft protection advance for the day exceeds $50.|
|Maximum credit limit||None|
|Minimum interest charge||$1.00|
- Signup bonus. Spend $1,000 in the first three months from account opening and earn 20,000 bonus points.
- Earn points. Earn 5x points on grocery, gas and drugstore purchases for the first six months. All other purchases come with 1x points. You’ll earn points faster when you shop at the Wells Fargo Earn More Mall.
- Extra value for your points. You’ll get 50% more value for your points when you redeem them for airline rewards. For example, 30,000 points is a $450 value toward airfare redemption or a $300 value toward cash redemption.
- Other ways to redeem points. You may redeem your points for hotel bookings, cruises, car rentals, merchandise and gift cards. You can use them to pay at online auctions or get cash back.
- Intro APR offer. The 0% intro APR offer on purchases and balance transfers is valid for the first 12 billing cycles.
You’ll also like…
- No annual fees. You’ll pay no annual fees for the life of the card.
- Travel benefits. Round-the-clock travel protection through the concierge service and special privileges through the Visa Signature Luxury Hotel Collection. This includes travel and roadside assistance, roadside dispatch, trip cancellation protection, lost luggage reimbursement, auto rental collision coverage, travel accident insurance, and emergency card replacement and cash disbursement.
- Security. This chip-enabled card comes with rapid alerts, purchase security, price protection, cellphone protection, and extended warranty protection. The Zero Liability Program protects you from unauthorized transactions.
What to watch out for
- Overseas transaction fees. You’ll pay 3% of each transaction when you use this card outside of the US.
- Balance transfer fees. The balance transfer fee will increase from 3% to 5% after the intro APR offer expires in 12 months.
- Expiry of intro APR period. At the end of 12 billing cycles, you’ll start paying interest toward outstanding balances from purchases and balance transfers. Your APR depends on your creditworthiness.
- Penalties and other fees. Late and returned payments come with penalties of up to $37. Cash advances come with fees, as do overdraft protection advances.
Consider other cards if…
- You don’t want to pay foreign transaction fees. For cards that don’t charge a foreign transaction fee, check out the Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard, the USAA Rewards American Express Card, and the Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier credit card.
- You want a better long-term earn rate. After the first six months, all purchases you make using the Visa Signature card will come with 1x points. If you’re looking for a better points-to-dollar ratio, try the Chase Sapphire Reserve card, the Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard, and the Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard.
Compare top rewards credit cards
What to know before you apply
You may apply for the Wells Fargo Visa Signature Card if you’re:
- At least 18 years of age.
- A citizen or resident of the US.
Always consider your options and your financial situation before you apply for a credit card.
Information you’ll need
The bank will require different types of information to process your application.
- Your complete name and contact details
- Your date of birth and Social Security number
- Your monthly payments toward rent or mortgage
- Your gross annual income from all sources
What credit score do I need?
Applying with a credit score of 690 or higher increases the probability of your application’s approval.
How to apply for the card
1. On the Wells Fargo Visa Signature Card website, click Apply Now.
2. If you’re an existing Wells Fargo customer, provide your login details. If not, click Continue.
3. Complete the application by providing the required details.
4. Check if the information you’ve entered is correct and click Submit.
How long will it take to be approved?
Because conditional approval is automated on the Visa website, you’ll often get a decision immediately. In some cases, you’ll need to wait a few days to a few weeks to receive a response.
I got the card. Now what?
- Avoid interest. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of 25 days to pay your balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Customer service. If you have questions, call 800-642-4720 or contact Wells Fargo via Facebook @wellsfargo or connect on Twitter @WellsFargo.
This card comes with short-term and long-term benefits, and you get to make the most of it in the first six months. With no annual fees and 0% APR for the first year you’ll save money. Before you decide on a credit card, always compare your options.