Pay no annual fee, enjoy fee-free foreign transactions and pick your own due date
- Get this card if… you want no annual or foreign transaction fees.
- Pick something else if… you don’t want to pay a high APR or want a card with rewards.
- Average credit score of 650 to 699 recommended.
The Platinum Credit Card is a no-annual-fee card from Capital One with Platinum Mastercard benefits. And you pay no foreign transaction fees for the life of the card. But unlike some other Capital One credit cards, this one doesn’t offer rewards.
|Product Name||Platinum Credit Card from Capital One®|
|APR (Annual Percentage Rate) for Purchases||19.98% to 26.98% variable|
|Cash Advance Rate||26.98% variable|
|Cash Advance Fee||$10 or 3% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||None|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 25 days|
|Late Payment Fee||$35|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
The Capital One Platinum Credit Card is best suited for people who pay off their outstanding balances in full each month. If this doesn’t sound like you, you’re better off looking for a card that charges a lower APR. Since this card only requires an average credit score, it might be good for people who what to build their credit, as upgrading to a better Capital One card down the line is possible.
There’s no annual or foreign transaction fees for as long as you use this card. Make your first five monthly payments on time and access a higher credit line.
Make this Capital One credit card work for you by paying your outstanding balance in full each month. These other benefits make this card worth it.
- $0 annual fee. You won’t pay annual fees for the life of the card.
- 0% foreign transaction fees. Pay no foreign transaction fees when you use this card overseas.
- Higher credit line. To access a higher credit line, make your first five monthly payments on time.
- Personalized payment. Pick your own monthly due date. Pay online, at a local branch or via check.
- Platinum Mastercard benefits. Get extended warranties, auto rental insurance, travel accident insurance, 24-hour travel assistance services, 24-hour roadside assistance and price protection.
- Apple Pay. Make purchases on the go by using your card with Apple Pay.
- Security. You’re covered by $0 fraud liability, and you’ll be contacted in case of any unusual activity on your account.
- Strengthen your credit. Use your card responsibly and improve your creditworthiness.
What to watch out for
- High APR. You’ll pay a high APR of Variable for all transactions, which includes purchases, cash advances and balance transfers.
- No intro APR. This Capital One card has no intro APR offer on purchases or balance transfers.
- No rewards. No matter how often you use your card or how much you spend, remember this is not a rewards card.
Compare other Capital One credit cards
What you should know before applying
Capital One will accept your application if:
- You’re at least 18 years old.
- You’re a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- You have a valid Social Security number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number.
Don’t submit an application if you have already applied for a Capital One credit card twice in the past 30 days.
What credit score should I have?
An average credit score of 650 to 699 is ideal.
How do I apply for the Capital One Platinum Credit Card?
Always consider your options and your financial situation before you apply for a credit card.
Go to the Platinum Credit Card website and click Apply Now.
You’ll need to provide the following details:
- Your full name and contact information
- Your Social Security number and date of birth
- Your total annual income and monthly housing payment
How long will it take for me to be approved?
You’ll find out about the status of your application almost as soon as you submit your online application. The bank typically sends a letter with your approval status in 7 to 10 business days.
I got the card — now what?
Getting this Capital One credit card can work well in rebuilding your credit, provided you keep your spending in check and make payments on time.
- Track your spending. Monitor your transactions online 24/7.
- Watch out for accumulating interest. Since this Capital One credit card charges a relatively high APR, keep an eye on how much interest you end up paying in the long run. The sooner you pay off your balances, the better.
- Avoid late fees. You can pay up to $35 for late payments.
- Contact customer service. Get in touch with Capital One for answers to your questions.
You might qualify for the Capital One Platinum Credit Card if you have less-than-perfect credit. If you have excellent credit, you may want to compare credit cards with lower APRs.