ECARD prepaid card review
Make purchases almost anywhere with this globally accepted card.
With a quick application, the Ecard prepaid card and is accepted around the world and online. But there’s a monthly fee you can’t avoid, and has a maximum balance of $10,000.
- Get this card if you want a low-fee prepaid card that can be used for shopping at home, abroad and online.
- Pick something else if you’re looking for a card with a solid track record, as Ecard is fairly new.
Monthly fee with a direct deposit
Signature transaction fee
PIN transaction fee
Peter Carleton is a writer that covers banking and investing, breaking down what you need to know about where you put your money. When Peter's not thinking about cutting-edge banking apps and robo-advisors, he runs a creative agency and spends his spare time cooking or reading.
Expert reviewECARD is a versatile prepaid card that you can use online and internationally. It works like a debit card and has low transaction fees, but be aware of other potential miscellaneous fees that can quickly add up depending on how you use the account.
What you’ll like
Similar to most prepaid cards, ECARD helps you to budget and spend safely, along with other benefits:
- Quick application. Sign up for this card in a matter of minutes.
- No transaction fees. No transaction fees for using this card within the US.
- Shop anywhere. Use ECARD online and in over 170 countries.
- Rewards program. Earn benefits, discounts, cash back and more at participating ECARD and UnionPay merchants.
- Mobile app. Use the ECARD app to top up your balance, add supplemental cards, link a bank account, set up bill pay and transfer money.
- Security. ECARD is issued by the FDIC-insured Global Bank. It allows you to set up notifications that tell you when your card is used and lets you block the card if it’s lost or stolen.
What to watch out for
Keep an eye out for these potential drawbacks:
- Initial funding. To use this card, you’ll need to make an initial deposit of at least $100.
- Monthly fee. This card has a non-negotiable monthly service fee of $4.99.
- Withdrawal fees. There’s a $5 fee for teller-assisted withdrawals and a 1.49% conversion fee when using the card through the UnionPay Network.
- Maximum balance. You’re limited to at most $10,000 on your card.
- Bill pay processing time. Bill pay funds will be removed from your card immediately but won’t reach the recipient for two to seven business days. Any bill pay initiated after 11 p.m. PST (2 a.m. EST) will be processed the next business day.
- Decline fees. You’re charged $15 per denied transaction from your bank to your card, and $1 if your card is denied at an out-of-network ATM.
Not sure if this card lines up with how you need to manage your money? Our guide to prepaid cards has even more providers for you to compare and tips for finding the best one for your financial situation.
Compare with other prepaid cards
How do I get ECARD?
Sign up for ECARD online, at the New York storefront location or through ECARD partner travel agencies:
- Visit the ECARD website and click Apply Today.
- Enter your personal information, verify your phone number, upload photo ID and proof of address, then click Next.
- Review all information, then click Confirm.
- Once your application is complete, you should hear back within 24 to 48 hours.
To get approved for ECARD, you’ll need to meet a few eligibility requirements:
- 18 years old or older
- Phone number to verify your application
- Valid Social Security number
- Valid passport or state-issued ID
- $100 initial deposit
During the application, you’ll be required to provide the following information:
- Name, address, phone number and email
- Social Security number
- Proof of address
- Photo of ID
To fund your ECARD, download the mobile app and link your bank account. From there, you can make transfers to and from the card.
How long will it take to get my card?
If your application is approved, it should take between five to 10 business days to receive your card.
I got the card. Now what?
Once you’ve received your ECARD, there are a few things you can do to get the most out of it:
- Activate your card. Visit the ECARD website to register and activate your card.
- Log in or download the mobile app. This allows you to attach a bank account to fund your card and provides access to all account features.
- Fund your card. Deposit at least $100 onto your ECARD to start using it.
- Use the UnionPay Network. You won’t be charged any transaction fees when you use the UnionPay Network, so try to use these ATMs if possible.
- Shop at partners to earn rewards. Explore the list of ECARD merchants and partners to find out where you can get discounts, cash back and more.
- Take advantage of all of the features. Log in or open the mobile app to perform functions such as adding other users to your account and setting up bill pay.