Plymouth Rock car insurance review
Fully flexible policies and great support for drivers in the Northeast
finder.com's rating: 4 / 5
- Get a quote if you want excellent claims support.
- Pick something else to get cheaper rates for married or middle-aged drivers.
- You might get better customer support in Mid-Atlantic states
New car protection
|States served||Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Pennsylvania|
|Roadside assistance||Included free|
|New car protection||Yes|
|Pay schedule||12 months, monthly|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
|Rideshare coverage||Yes (Only in new jersey)|
No info available
- 24/7 claims processing
- Crashbusters mobile claim service
- Network of local agents
- Manage your policy online
- Pledge of assurance
- Financially strong
- Limited reach
- Expensive rates for married and middle-aged drivers
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||Yes|
Katia Iervasi is a staff writer who hails from Australia and now calls New York home. Her writing and analysis has been featured on sites like Forbes, Best Company and Financial Advisor around the world. Armed with a BA in Communication and a journalistic eye for detail, she navigates insurance and finance topics for Finder, so you can splash your cash smartly (and be a pro when the subject pops up at dinner parties).
Fantastic support and a claims process makes Plymouth Rock a top choice in the Northeast. As a regional insurer with a network of local agents, its products and services are tailored to the five states it services, and coverage is highly customizable. It’s a modern company, with a sophisticated online portal and app as well as attractive discounts and a driver safety program.
The downsides? Besides its limited reach, some customers might not find the lowest rates here. Some middle-aged and married drivers didn’t see the normally low rates in all cases, so compare your quote with others in the area to make sure you’re getting the best deal here.
What car insurance coverage does Plymouth Rock offer?
As a regional insurer, Plymouth Rock is an attractive option for drivers in Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Hampshire, New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
Plymouth Rock gives policyholders the freedom to customize the features in their coverage. Essential Assurance is its base package and automatically includes services like guaranteed repairs. Assurance Plus, Assurance Preferred and Assurance Premier offer perks at an extra cost, and there are a suite of a la carte coverages open to all policyholders.
Policy options vary from state to state, but most offer:
- Body injury liability. If you cause an accident, this coverage kicks in to pay for injuries, damages and potential legal costs. Legally required in most states, consider carrying enough coverage to protect your assets in the event of an accident.
- Property damage liability. This compulsory coverage takes care of the damage your car causes to someone’s property in an accident.
- Personal injury protection (PIP). This helps cover the medical and hospital costs for you or your passengers in an accident, regardless of who’s at fault.
- Collision. This covers the cost of damage to your car from a collision with another car or object, or if your car overturns. It’s usually optional, unless you’ve leased or financed your car.
- Comprehensive. Also known as Other Than Collision (OTC) coverage, this pays for the loss or damage to your car caused by things like fire, floods, hailstorms, vandalism and theft. It’s typically only recommended for new, valuable or financed cars.
- Underinsured motorist (UIM). This helps to pay for medical expenses if someone injures you in an accident, but doesn’t have enough liability insurance to cover the costs.
- Uninsured motorist (UM). This covers the damages and injuries if you’re injured in an accident caused by a hit-and-run driver or someone who doesn’t have liability insurance.
- Health care primary. If you need medical treatment after an accident, this option lets you see your regular medical provider. It can also lower the PIP portion of your premium.
- Medical payments. After an accident, this helps to pay for medical and funeral expenses up to the coverage limits you select.
- Transportation expenses. If you have a claim covered by comprehensive or collision coverage, this pays for temporary transportation expenses.
- Towing and labor. When your car can’t be driven, this covers the cost of towing it to a repair shop.
- Accident forgiveness. For eligible customers, Plymouth Rock will waive the usual penalties for one at-fault accident.
- New car replacement. With this add on, the insurer pays to replace a car of the same make, model and year if you experience a total loss. To qualify, your car must be two years old or less at the time of the accident.
- Loan and lease gap coverage. Do you lease or finance your car? If you experience a total loss, the insurer will pay the difference on the money you owe.
- Pet injury. If your dog or cat is injured in an accident, you’ll receive money for veterinary care and other expenses.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Plymouth Rock offer?
Plymouth Rock has three standout programs included with every policy, all of which point to its proactive approach to accidents.
- Crashbusters mobile claim service. Assessing the damage to your car after an accident can be incredibly stressful. With this service, a representative comes to the site of the accident to do a damage appraisal on the spot. In many cases, the company gives you a check based on the estimated cost of repairs.
- Get home safe. When you’re drowsy or distracted, or you’ve had one too many drinks to drive yourself home safely, you can call a taxi and Plymouth Rock will reimburse you up to $50 for the ride. This benefit can be claimed once a year and doesn’t cost any extra.
- Door to door valet claims service. To minimize the disruption an accident has on your life, this service sends someone to tow your car to a body shop and deliver it back to you once it’s been repaired.
What discounts can I get with Plymouth Rock?
With Plymouth Rock, there are plenty of ways to save on your premium. Depending on where you live, you might qualify for these discounts.
- Motor club member. If you’re an active member of an approved motor club like AAA, you might score a discount of up to 5%. Ask your agent about clubs in your state.
- Companion package. Insure your home with subsidiary Bunker Hill Insurance and your car with Plymouth Rock, and you’ll earn a discount.
- Multi-car. With each car you list on your policy, you’ll receive a discount.
- Homeowner. Do you own a house or condo? Congrats! You can slash your premium.
- Pay in full. Pay your total premium in one or two installments, and Plymouth Rock will lower your premium.
- Safe driver. If you’re older than 18 and have a driving record free of accidents and violations, the insurer will reward that with a discount.
- Distant student. Do you have a kid who’s at school more than 100 miles away and doesn’t drive your car much? You may be eligible for a discount.
- Advanced quote. If you’re switching to Plymouth Rock from another company, you can save by getting a quote more than seven days before your new policy’s start date.
- Mature driver. Drivers over 60 can save money by completing an approved accident prevention course.
- Loyalty. Maintain a policy for 36 consecutive months, and cut down on your premium.
- Affinity group. Are you a teacher in New Jersey? Or a member of AARP? Being part of an affinity group could lower your premium.
- Rate lock. Hate surprises? Plymouth Rock also offers a One Year Rate Lock, which guarantees your auto insurance rate for a year.
Pros and cons of Plymouth Rock car insurance
- 24/7 claims processing. File a claim online or over the phone at any time.
- Crashbusters mobile claim service. Part of every policy, this service gives you an on-the-spot appraisal after an accident.
- Network of local agents. The Northeast is subject to unique auto insurance laws, and local agents know the ins and outs of their state.
- Manage your policy online. Access your policy, pay bills and make and monitor a claim on the portal or app.
- Pledge of assurance. If you’re not happy with the customer service, Plymouth Rock will donate $25 to your selected charity.
- Financially strong. Ranked financially strong by A.M. Best, the insurer has the cash to pay out claims.
- Limited reach. Policies are limited to five states: Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Hampshire, New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
- Expensive rates for some drivers. When compared to other carriers, its premiums tend to be higher for married couples and middle-aged drivers.
How to apply for Plymouth Rock car insurance
With this tech-savvy insurer, applying online is simple:
- Head to Plymouth Rock’s website.
- On the homepage, you’ll see a box labeled Get a Quote. Type in your ZIP code and select Auto in the dropdown. Click Go.
- You’ll be led through a series of forms asking for your personal information, driving history, cars and who will be driving them.
- Review and adjust your coverage options, discounts and rates.
- Accept the quote. Or, if you have questions, hop onto Live Chat or call customer service at 855-993-4470.
What info do I need to apply?
- Your driver’s license number
- Your driving history, including claims and accidents
- Information on the car you’re insuring
- Details about who will be driving the car
Plymouth Rock car insurance reviews and complaints
While Plymouth Rock isn’t accredited with the Better Business Bureau, the BBB has given the insurer an B rating. It closed just 6 complaints in the past three years, almost all of which were related to problems with the product and service, as of October 2020.
How to contact Plymouth Rock
There are a few ways to get in touch with Plymouth Rock.
- Phone. Call customer service at 855-993-4470.´
- Live chat. During business hours, you can get real-time help on Plymouth Rock’s website.
- Local agent. To contact a local agent directly, go to Find an Agent on the website’s homepage and follow the prompts. If you’re an existing policyholder, your agent’s details are on your policy documents as well as your member portal.
Current customers can also speak to the customer service department in their state.
|New Jersey||Phone: 800-437-5556|
|New Hampshire||Phone: 800-979-6288|
How do I find a Plymouth Rock agent near me?
- Go to the website.
- Click Find an Agent on the landing page.
- Enter your city, state or ZIP code, and a list of local agents will pop up. Plymouth Rock has a network of agents across the five states it services, so there’s bound to be one close to you.
Alternatives to Plymouth Rock
Frequently asked questions about Plymouth Rock
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze the best car insurance providers and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you.