Plymouth Rock car insurance review
A suite of options to protect yourself on the road, plus solid support for drivers in the Northeast.
finder.com's rating: 4 / 5
- Get a quote if you’re looking for wide coverage and solid, local service.
- Pick something else if you can’t the cheapest rates here.
- Its policies are only open to drivers in five states.
|States served||Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Pennsylvania|
|Roadside assistance||Included free|
|New car protection||Yes|
|Pay schedule||12 months, monthly|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
|Rideshare coverage||Yes (Only in new jersey)|
No info available
- 24/7 claims processing
- Crashbusters mobile claim service
- Network of local agents
- Manage your policy online
- Pledge of assurance
- Financially strong
- Limited reach
- Expensive rates for married and middle-aged drivers
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||Yes|
How to get a free quote for Plymouth Rock car insurance
With this tech-savvy insurer, applying online takes as little as five steps.
- Head to Plymouth Rock’s website.
- On the homepage, you’ll see a box labeled Get a Quote. Type in your ZIP code and select Auto in the dropdown. Click Go.
- You’ll be led through a series of forms asking for your personal information, driving history, cars and who will be driving them.
- Review and adjust your coverage options, discounts and rates.
- Accept the quote. Or, if you have questions, hop onto Live Chat or call customer service at 855-993-4470.
What info do I need to apply?
You’ll need a few items handy to fill out your application, including:
- Your driver’s license number
- Your driving history, including claims and accidents
- Information on the car you’re insuring
- Details about who will be driving the car
What discounts can I get with Plymouth Rock?
With Plymouth Rock, there are plenty of ways to save on your premium. Depending on where you live, you might qualify for these discounts.
- Motor club member. If you’re an active member of an approved motor club like AAA, you might score a discount of up to 5%. Ask your agent about clubs in your state.
- Companion package. Insure your home with subsidiary Bunker Hill Insurance and your car with Plymouth Rock, and you’ll earn a discount.
- Multi-car. With each car you list on your policy, you’ll receive a discount.
- Homeowner. Do you own a house or condo? Congrats! You can slash your premium.
- Pay in full. Pay your total premium in one or two installments, and Plymouth Rock will lower your premium.
- Safe driver. If you’re older than 18 and have a driving record free of accidents and violations, the insurer will reward that with a discount.
- Distant student. Do you have a kid who’s at school more than 100 miles away and doesn’t drive your car much? You may be eligible for a discount.
- Advanced quote. If you’re switching to Plymouth Rock from another company, you can save by getting a quote more than seven days before your new policy’s start date.
- Mature driver. Drivers over 60 can save money by completing an approved accident prevention course.
- Loyalty. Maintain a policy for 36 consecutive months, and cut down on your premium.
- Affinity group. Are you a teacher in New Jersey? Or a member of AARP? Being part of an affinity group could lower your premium.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Plymouth Rock offer?
Plymouth Rock has three standout programs included with every policy, all of which point to its proactive approach to accidents.
- Rate lock. Hate surprises? Plymouth Rock also offers a One Year Rate Lock, which guarantees your auto insurance rate for a year.
- Get home safe. When you’re drowsy or distracted, or you’ve had one too many drinks to drive yourself home safely, you can call a taxi and Plymouth Rock will reimburse you up to $50 for the ride. This benefit can be claimed once a year and doesn’t cost any extra.
- Valet towing after an accident. To minimize the disruption an accident has on your life, this service sends someone to tow your car to a body shop and deliver it back to you once it’s been repaired.
- Health care primary. If you need medical treatment after an accident, this option lets you see your regular medical provider. It can also lower the PIP portion of your premium.
- Transportation expenses. If you have a claim covered by comprehensive or collision coverage, this pays for temporary transportation expenses.
- Towing and labor. When your car can’t be driven, this covers the cost of towing it to a repair shop.
- Accident forgiveness. For eligible customers, Plymouth Rock will waive the usual penalties for one at-fault accident.
- New car replacement. With this add on, the insurer pays to replace a car of the same make, model and year if you experience a total loss. To qualify, your car must be two years old or less at the time of the accident.
- Loan and lease gap. Do you lease or finance your car? If you experience a total loss, the insurer will pay the difference on the money you owe.
- Pet injury. If your dog or cat is injured in an accident, you’ll receive money for veterinary care and other expenses.
Our review of Plymouth Rock Road Rewards
Plymouth Rock Road Rewards is similar to a telematics car insurance program because it monitors your driving habits.
But instead of giving you a discount on your policy, Road Rewards gives points that you can redeem for a fuel discount, free movie tickets or gift cards from retailers like Amazon and Starbucks.
Overall, customers enjoy using the Road Rewards app, rating it with 4 out of 5 stars on Google Play and 3.9 of 5 stars on the Apple Store.
5 ways to earn Road Rewards points
Road Rewards factors in these areas of your driving when giving you points.
- Accelerating gently — Go easy when stepping on the gas pedal.
- Steady braking — Slow down the car gradually, rather than abruptly.
- Taking corners slowly — Ease around bends and turns on the road.
- Minding the speed limit — Stay at or under the speed limit.
- Avoiding phone use — Keep your hands free from your phone while driving.
Plymouth Rock car insurance reviews and complaints
Overall, Plymouth Rock shows solid customer ratings. While the company isn’t accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), it holds a B rating with the BBB as of 2021.
In the last three years, the company has seen 3 complaints filed with the BBB, most citing problems with billing. A few customers have complained that the company hadn’t refunded amounts they expected to receive, but these were resolved quickly after the customers filed them.
Plymouth Rock also receives a 0.54 score on the National Association of Insurance Commissioners complaint index, which is well below the industry standard of 1.00. This score means that Plymouth Rock sees much fewer complaints than normal.
However, the company typically scores below the region’s average for customer satisfaction in J.D. Power’s Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study.
|AM Best financial rating||A-|
|Trustpilot score||3.2/5 out of 1 customer review|
|Customer reviews verified as of||10 August 2021|
Our star ratings for Plymouth Rock, explained
Finder’s car insurance experts rate Plymouth Rock with 4 out of 5 stars because of its wide variety of coverage, solid customer service and strong financial ratings from AM Best.
Alternatives to Plymouth Rock
See how other companies’ coverage and pricing compare to Plymouth Rock, then tap Get quotes when you’re ready to see your customized rate.
What car insurance coverage does Plymouth Rock offer?
Essential Assurance is this company’s base package, and it automatically includes services like guaranteed repairs. Assurance Plus, Assurance Preferred and Assurance Premier offer perks at an extra cost, and you’ll find a suite of a la carte coverage options open to all policyholders.
Policy options vary from state to state, but most offer:
- Body injury liability. If you cause an accident, this coverage kicks in to pay for injuries, damages and potential legal costs. Legally required in most states, consider carrying enough coverage to protect your assets in the event of an accident.
- Property damage liability. This compulsory coverage takes care of the damage your car causes to someone’s property in an accident.
- Personal injury protection (PIP). This helps cover the medical and hospital costs for you or your passengers in an accident, regardless of who’s at fault.
- Collision. This covers the cost of damage to your car from a collision with another car or object, or if your car overturns. It’s usually optional, unless you’ve leased or financed your car.
- Comprehensive. Also known as Other Than Collision (OTC) coverage, this pays for the loss or damage to your car caused by things like fire, floods, hailstorms, vandalism and theft. It’s typically only recommended for new, valuable or financed cars.
- Underinsured motorist (UIM). This helps to pay for medical expenses if someone injures you in an accident, but doesn’t have enough liability insurance to cover the costs.
- Uninsured motorist (UM). This covers the damages and injuries if you’re injured in an accident caused by a hit-and-run driver or someone who doesn’t have liability insurance.
- Medical payments. After an accident, this helps to pay for medical and funeral expenses up to the coverage limits you select.
How to contact Plymouth Rock
There are a few ways to get in touch with Plymouth Rock.
- Phone. Call customer service at 855-993-4470.´
- Live chat. During business hours, you can get real-time help on Plymouth Rock’s website.
- Local agent. To contact a local agent directly, go to Find an Agent on the website’s homepage and follow the prompts. If you’re an existing policyholder, your agent’s details are on your policy documents as well as your member portal.
Current customers can also speak to the customer service department in their state.
|New Jersey||Phone: 800-437-5556|
|New Hampshire||Phone: 800-979-6288|
How do I find a Plymouth Rock agent near me?
- Go to the website.
- Click Find an Agent on the landing page.
- Enter your city, state or ZIP code, and a list of local agents will pop up. Plymouth Rock has a network of agents across the five states it services, so there’s bound to be one close to you.
Frequently asked questions about Plymouth Rock
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze the best car insurance providers and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you.
Katia Iervasi is a staff writer who hails from Australia and now calls New York home. Her writing and analysis has been featured on sites like Forbes, Best Company and Financial Advisor around the world. Armed with a BA in Communication and a journalistic eye for detail, she navigates insurance and finance topics for Finder, so you can splash your cash smartly (and be a pro when the subject pops up at dinner parties).
Above-average customer support with questions and during the claims process makes Plymouth Rock a fantastic choice for car insurance in the Northeast. As a regional company with a network of local agents, its products and services are tailored to the five states it services.
You also get access to a wide list of coverage — with the ability to choose coverage a la carte or through one of Plymouth Rock’s packages. It’s a modern company with a sophisticated online portal and app as well as attractive discounts and a driver safety program.
The downsides? Besides only reaching drivers in limited states, some customers might not find the lowest rates. Some middle-aged and married drivers don’t see the low rates that other safe drivers find, so compare your quote with others in the area to make sure you’re getting the best deal.