Get personal customer service and a jam-packed add-on bundle from this local insurer.
- Get a quote if you enjoy in-person customer service from a regional company.
- Pick something else if you live outside a covered state.
- Drivers in select eastern states can apply.
|States served||Alabama, Delaware, Iowa, Maryland, New Jersey, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, Wisconsin|
|Pay schedule||12 months, 6 months, monthly, custom|
|New car protection||No|
- Personal customer service
- Financial stability
- Auto coverage bundles
- No online quotes
- Coverage exclusions
- Limited service area
|Anti-theft device discount||No|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Other discounts||Seatbelt use|
|Temporary & short term coverage||Not specified|
What car insurance coverage does Penn National offer?
Penn National provides a healthy level of coverage for you and your car on the road:
- Property damage liability. Helps you pay for car or property damage to the other driver involved. Applies when you’re at fault.
- Bodily injury liability. Covers medical bills, lost wages and legal expenses for the other driver or passengers if needed after an at-fault accident.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist. Ensure your expenses get paid if another driver without enough insurance causes car damage or accident injuries.
- Personal injury protection (PIP). Pay medical bills for you and your passengers no matter who’s at fault and, in some cases, include lost wages or funeral expenses.
- Collision. Get your car repaired or replaced after an accident, whether or not you caused it.
- Comprehensive. Cover damage caused by noncollision situations like theft, weather damage or animal run-ins. Plus, get protection from windshield damage, including a waived deductible for window repairs versus replacement.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Penn National offer?
The company includes a few add-ons for wider protection, including a package with multiple coverage features. Add-ons include:
- Gap coverage. Pays the difference between your car’s loan or lease amount and the actual cash value after a total car loss, without taking depreciation into account.
- Replacement cost. If your car is totaled, this covers the replacement cost of your car at its MSRP without considering depreciation. Cars damaged due to theft or fire will be covered at actual cash value.
- Towing and labor. Assists you with towing expenses when your car breaks down away from home. Availability may vary by state.
- Coverage packages. This package bundles multiple coverage types, including pet injury coverage, death benefit and seatbelt discount. If you have collision and comprehensive combined with this package, you’ll also receive specified roadside assistance, travel interruption, airbag replacement, personal effects, non-owned trailer and sound equipment coverage as well as deductible waivers.
What discounts can I get with Penn National?
Penn National includes several helpful and easily achieved discounts, such as:
- Home and auto bundling. Keep your homeowners and car insurance in one convenient location for a discount.
- Multicar. Save when you insure all your cars under one Penn National policy.
- Safety course. Complete an approved driver training course for simple savings.
- Safety features. Knock down your premium with passive restraints, airbags, daytime running lights and antilock brakes.
- Good student. Lower your rate for student drivers if they maintain a B average or higher.
- Student away. Get a discount if your young driver goes to school more than 100 miles away for part of the year.
- Paid in full. Find easy savings by paying your total upfront.
Pros and cons of Penn National car insurance
- Personal customer service. Penn National keeps a personal, local feel by connecting you with an independent agent.
- Financial stability. The company keeps an A- (Excellent) rating with AM Best, giving customers confidence in its ability to back up claims.
- Auto coverage bundle. Adding collision and comprehensive alongside the company’s trademarked package brings a host of extras, including trip interruption, personal effects and towing.
- No online quotes. You’ll need to talk with a local agent to find out your rate and options.
- Coverage exclusions. Some coverage varies by state and includes limits, such as replacement cost coverage not including the car’s full value for fire or theft.
- Limited service area. The company only serves 11 states, including Alabama, Delaware, Iowa, Maryland, New Jersey, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and Wisconsin.
Alternatives to Penn National
How to apply for Penn National car insurance
To start your Penn National policy or receive a quote, you’ll need to contact a local agent:
- Go to the company’s auto insurance webpage and enter your ZIP code under Want a quote? Click the forward arrow.
- Choose a local agent from the list provided.
- Call or visit the agent’s local office to discuss your coverage needs.
What info do I need to apply?
Help the application process along by keeping some information on hand:
- Home address and phone number
- Driver’s license
- Vehicle make, model and license plate or VIN
- Driving record
- Policy needs
- Bank account or credit card information
How to make a claim with Penn National
Penn National keeps accident claims convenient with online or mobile reporting. You can also contact your local agent:
- Online. Find online claims from any page on the company’s website and fill out the provided form.
- App. Get access to claims reporting from your mobile phone.
- Local agent. Contact your local agent via phone or office visit to receive personal customer support.
This limited regional company offers standard coverage and discounts in 11 states. However, the company stands out from the competition with its high business and customer ratings, personal customer service and an auto coverage bundle with add-ons packed in.
Compare multiple providers to make sure you’re getting the best policy for you.