Pemco car insurance review
For Oregon and Washington drivers who are looking to score big on discounts
finder.com’s rating: 5.0 / 5.0
- Get a quote if you want localized service.
- Pick something else if you’re worried about rate increases.
- Teachers and drivers who work in education get special perks.
New car protection
|States served||Oregon, Washington|
|Roadside assistance||Included free|
|New car protection||No|
|Pay schedule||6 months|
- Wide range of discounts available.
- Award-winning customer service.
- Convenient mobile app.
- Limited availability based on location.
- Customer complaints of increased rates.
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||Yes|
Gabrielle Pastorek is a staff writer at Finder, helping readers to round up the best deals, coupons, retailers, products and services to make sound financial decisions. She's written more than 800 articles on the site and is a quoted expert in Best Company and DealNews. She earned an MFA from the University of Pittsburgh, with essays and short stories published in The Collagist, Blue Monday Review, Blotterature and others. When she’s not writing, Gabrielle can be found out in the barn with her horse, Lucy.
Pemco is a worthy car insurance contender for Washington and Oregon residents to consider, especially if you could qualify for any of the many discounts available. Teachers and educators especially might be able to get a good rate. And its customer service is definitely top tier.
While friendly customer service is one of Pemco’s strongest assets, some customers have found that they ended up paying more with this local insurance provider than they would through a bigger nationwide company. But it might not hurt to add Pemco to your list of insurers to compare if you do live in the Northwest.
How to apply with Pemco
Applying for Pemco car insurance online is an easy, streamlined process.
- Go to Pemco’s site and enter your ZIP code in the green Get a Quote box. Click Get Your Quote.
- Enter your personal information, including your name, address, birth date and policy start date.
- Answer some questions about where you live, your gender, your education and your accident history to see if you could qualify for discounts. Click the button that says Add Driver at the bottom of this page if you would like more than one driver on your policy.
- Enter your car’s VIN number, or look it up by its make, model and body style.
- On the final page, you should see an insurance quote in a green box on the right side of your screen. If more information is needed to generate your quote, you may see a message asking you to fill out an online contact form so an agent can give you a call.
If you have any questions during this process, you can click the orange Chat button at the bottom of the screen to speak with an agent.
What info do I need to apply?
You’ll need to have this information handy when you apply:
- Your basic personal information, such as your name and address
- Your car’s VIN or the make, model and package of the car you’d like to insure
- Information for any drivers you’d like to add to your policy
Entering your Social Security number is optional during the online quote process, but it may be required if Pemco is unable to verify your credit information using your name and address alone.
How do I find a Pemco agent near me
To find an agent near you:
- Go to the Pemco website and click Find an Agent in the green Get a Quote box.
- Enter a location and a list of car insurance agencies near you will appear, along with their address and phone number.
What discounts can I get with Pemco?
There are lots of ways you can save a little extra on your car insurance policy. Pemco offers the following discounts to its customers.
- Auto and home bundle. Bundle your car and homeowners or renters insurance together to save on redboth.
- Educator discount. Get a discount if you work for a public or private school, community college or university. You can even keep the same discount when you retire.
- Safety feature discount. Is your vehicle equipped with airbags and a car alarm? Pemco will give you a discount.
- Good student discount. Get a GPA of 3.0 or higher and earn a discount on your car insurance policy.
- Distant student discount. You can save if you have a student who goes to school more than 75 miles away from home and doesn’t have a car at school.
- Defensive driver discount. Drivers who are 55 or older can complete a defensive driving course to save on their policy.
- University of Washington alumni discount. If you have a degree from the University of Washington and still live in either Washington state or Oregon, you qualify for some savings.
- Loyal auto customer discount. Pemco rewards loyal auto insurance policyholders with discounts starting at their one-year anniversary.
- Advance purchase discount. Get a discount when you buy a Pemco insurance policy at least seven days before it’ll go into effect.
- Low mileage discount. If you drive your car less than 8,000 miles per year, you can snap up a discount.
- New vehicle discount. You’ll qualify for this discount if your car is less than five model years old when your policy starts.
- Paid in full discount. Save even more when you pay your bill in one annual payment or two six-month payments.
What car insurance coverage does Pemco offer?
Pemco may be a smaller company compared to some of its nationwide competitors, but it still has an extensive list of car insurance policy options.
- Collision. If your car is damaged in a crash or rollover, collision coverage pays for the cost of repairs, regardless of who’s at fault. If you have a car loan, your bank will most likely require this coverage.
- Comprehensive. Covers costs from anything other than collision damage, such as theft, fire or vandalism.
- Liability bodily injury damage. If you are legally liable for causing bodily injury to someone else, this coverage will take care of the costs, as well as any defense costs if you go to court.
- Liability property damage. Covers the costs of the other person’s car and belongings if damaged in an accident. It also covers the defense costs if you have to go to court.
- Personal injury protection. Pays for medical expenses and lost wages for you or family members who are injured or killed in an automobile accident.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist. Covers you if your car is damaged in an accident caused by someone else with no insurance or insufficient insurance.
- Towing and labor. Pemco’s version of roadside assistance, which comes in handy if you break down and need work right on the spot or if you need to be towed to a shop.
- Rental reimbursement. You’ll be reimbursed for the cost of a rental car while yours is being repaired. You can bundle this with collision and comprehensive coverage to save.
- Auto loan coverage. Also called gap insurance, if your car is less than three years old and is totaled, auto loan coverage will pay off your car loan, provided the amount left on your loan is more than what the car is worth.
- Accidental death. If any covered person is killed in a car wreck, $10,000 will be paid to his or her spouse or estate.
- Rideshare coverage. Coverage extends your auto insurance coverage while driving for Lyft, Uber or other rideshare services.
- Accident forgiveness. Pemco’s accident forgiveness program applies to all drivers on your policy. It’ll go into effect if you’ve been a Pemco auto insurance customer for five or more years without an accident.
- Minor ticket forgiveness. No tickets for your first five years with Pemco? Your rates won’t go up after your first one, thanks to the company’s minor ticket forgiveness program.
A few additional coverage options are available to Washington residents only.
- Replacing or recoding key coverage. Lost your key, or need your electronic keypad recoded? This insurance coverage pays up to $500 toward these costs.
- Camper, canopy and tonneau cover coverage. Pays up to $500 to cover these items, with the option to purchase additional protection.
- Custom parts and equipment coverage. Pays up to $500 for custom parts and equipment, with the option to buy more coverage.
- Pet coverage. Pays up to $1,000 for your dog or cat if injured or killed in a covered collision.
- Rental car coverage. If your rental car is damaged in an accident, this coverage pays for the costs of repairs, plus any administrative fees, diminished value or other expenses.
What is the Timesaver Repairs Program?
Pemco’s Timesaver Repairs Program aims to expedite the repair process after an accident. If you choose to visit one of these qualified garages, you won’t need to wait for a Pemco adjuster to review your vehicle damages and give you an estimate. Instead, you work directly with the repair shop, which prepares an estimate and repairs your damages.
- Take your damaged vehicle to one of Pemco’s Timesaver Repair Shops that are prescreened for quality and customer service.
- Get your estimate and wait for repairs to be complete. No haggling or dealing with an insurance adjuster.
- Once your car is fixed, pick it up and you’re done.
- After you pay your deductible, the shop will send Pemco the final bill.
Pemco car insurance reviews and complaint
Pemco is not accredited with the Better Business Bureau, yet it earns an A+ rating, as of October 2020. However, many customers don’t seem to agree with this score. Loyal customers are primarily upset with increased insurance rates, despite having been with the company for several years.
On the other hand, even some of the negative reviews for Pemco praise its friendly customer service. When you contact Pemco directly, you’ll speak to a real person who can help you resolve your issue quickly.
Compare alternatives to Pemco
Pros and cons of Pemco car insurance
- Lots of discounts. Whether you’re a teacher, UW alumni, have a new car or do great in school, there’s an opportunity for savings on your car insurance policy.
- Ticket and accident forgiveness. After five years of insuring with Pemco, your first accident or ticket won’t increase your rates.
- Excellent customer service. Pemco has been named the highest in customer satisfaction among auto insurers in the Northwest region for five years in a row by J.D. Power.
- Easy-to-use mobile app. Download the Go Pemco app to get instant access to your policy, download proof of insurance and make insurance claims 24/7.
- Limited customer base. Pemco auto insurance is only available to residents of Washington and Oregon.
- No rate lock. Some customers complain that their insurance premiums increased even after being loyal customers for years.
How to make a claim with Pemco
Pemco makes filing a car insurance claim as simple as possible. You can do so through its mobile app, online or by calling 800-467-3626. You can file an insurance claim 24/7 everyday, so there’s no need to wait until Monday or after a holiday if your accident happens on a weekend or on, say Christmas.
After getting in contact with your agent and Pemco’s claims office, claims can take around 10 business days to process.
To make a claim online:
- Go to Pemco’s website and click Claims in the top navigation bar.
- Click the green Report a Claim button.
- Sign into your Pemco account.
- Enter the required information regarding your claim.
- Submit your claim.
- Wait for a claims representative to contact you to walk you through the process.
What info do I need to make a claim?
No matter how you choose to file a claim, you’ll likely need to provide the following information.
- Your policy number
- Date, time and location of the accident or incident.
- The names, addresses and telephone numbers of registered owners, injured people, occupants of other cars and witnesses.
- Description and license numbers of the other cars involved.
- Photos taken after the accident or incident.
- Police report number, if applicable.
How to contact Pemco
There are a few different ways you can reach Pemco customer support:
- By phone. Call 800-467-3626 on weekdays from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. PT and on Saturdays from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. PT. Dial 711 or 800-833-6384 for Washington relay for the hearing impaired services.
- By email. Go to Pemco’s site and click Contact Us at the bottom of the page. Click Secure Online Form to email customer service.
- By fax. You can send a fax to customer support at 206-268-2735 or the claims department at 206-268-2715.
- With the Go Pemco mobile app. Contact customer service from your mobile device by logging in to the app.
- By mail. Send snail mail to:
PEMCO Mutual Insurance Company
PO Box 778
Seattle, WA 98111-0778
Frequently asked questions about Pemco
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze the best car insurance providers and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you.