North Carolina Farm Bureau car insurance review
Local agents and member discounts in all of North Carolina’s 100 counties.
finder.com's rating: 3 / 5
- Get a quote if you live in North Carolina and value a regional presence.
- Pick something else if you’re hoping for speedy, grab-and-go coverage that you can sign up for online.
- Most drivers can find protection whether you’re driving for yourself or a business.
New car protection
|States served||North Carolina|
|New car protection||No|
|Pay schedule||12 months|
- Regional expertise.
- Agent accessibility.
- Wide array of products.
- Financially stable.
- You can’t sign up online.
- Customer service availability is limited.
- Must live in North Carolina.
|Anti-theft device discount||No|
|Defensive driving discount||No|
|Good student discount||No|
|Safety device discount||No|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Other discounts||Discounts for choosing to pay your premium in full instead of opting for one of our convenient payment plans.|
Amy Stoltenberg is a staff writer at Finder. She manages Finder's newsletter, which is about all things personal finance, with a sparkling eye toward cryptocurrency and the exciting world of DeFi. When her laptop's closed, you can find her driving around Los Angeles, marveling at the palm trees. She studied writing at Savannah College of Art and Design and has been featured on the Zoe Report.
If you live in North Carolina and like one-on-one customer service, NC Farm Bureau could meet your needs. You’ll find a wide range of coverage and discounts, plus a few surprises like discounts for having full coverage. You can even bundle life, auto and home with this small insurer.
The downside? You’ll only be able to get coverage in this state, and the list of perks isn’t as long as you’ll find nationally. It’s still worth considering this provider for its customer service alone.
How to apply for North Carolina Farm Bureau car insurance
You can’t apply for NC Farm Bureau car insurance online. To begin a policy, you’ll need to call a local agent. But you can get an initial quote by starting on its homepage:
- Click Our Products at the top of the page.
- Click Get a Quote at the bottom of the page.
- Under “Select An Insurance Product,” select Auto. Indicate whether or not you currently have a policy with NC Farm Bureau, then choose Start Your Quote.
- Fill in the boxes under “Tell Us More About You” with your personal information such as name, address and email. Then click Continue.
- Under “Vehicle Information,” indicate what kind of vehicle you’re hoping to insure. Then click Continue.
- Under “Driver Information,” include information about the person you’re hoping to insure. Click Continue.
- You’ll get an estimated premium per six-month policy period. At this point, you’ll have the opportunity to toggle certain coverage amounts to customize your policy.
- When you’re ready for the next step, click Submit Quote to a Local Agent and a representative will call to assist you.
What info do I need to apply?
Have the following information on hand:
- Full name
- Driver’s license number
- Driving history, including records of any violations or accidents
- Vehicle info, including the VIN, make, model and license plate number of the car you’re insuring
What types of discounts can I get with NC Farm Bureau?
NC Farm Bureau has an array of decent discounts, but exact offers will vary by agent. Potential savings can include:
- Multicar. Add more than one automobile to a single policy.
- Bundling. Property discount — save money on your auto policy when you insure your home, too.
- Driving experience. More experienced drivers are eligible for discounts.
- Paid in full. If you pay your premium in full instead of monthly, you can save money overall.
- Marital status. Married drivers can get lower rates for getting insured as a family.
- Protection Plus. Discount for carrying comprehensive and collision coverage plus higher bodily injury limits.
- Safety device. Discounts if your car is equipped with airbags.
What car insurance does North Carolina Farm Bureau offer?
For a $25 annual fee, you can become a member of NC Farm Bureau and become eligible for its car insurance. It offers policies that include:
- Bodily injury liability. If the other driver gets hurt, and you were responsible, this can help cover the costs of their medical damages.
- Property damage liability. In an accident, if the other driver’s car — or other property — gets damaged and you’re to blame, this covers costs of repair or replacement.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorists bodily injury. This helps pay for your medical bills if you get injured by a driver who doesn’t have coverage.
- Uninsured motorist property damage. When your vehicle — or other property — is affected in a crash involving a driver who doesn’t have insurance, this can help cover your losses.
- Medical payments. In case you end up seeing the doctor after an accident.
- Extended transportation expenses. This helps pay for the cost of renting a vehicle if yours is in the shop for repairs or completely out of commission after an accident.
- Towing labor. It aids with service fees and other costs associated with getting your vehicle towed.
Alternatives to NC Farm Bureau
Pros and cons of NC Farm Bureau car insurance
- Regional expertise. It’s headquartered in Raleigh, controlled by a Board of Directors and only services in-state clients. This means it has niche expertise in North Carolina’s rules and regulations.
- Agent accessibility. Connect with a representative in each of NC’s 100 counties.
- Wide array of products. In addition to car insurance, it offers a full suite of banking products, as well as life, health and home insurance.
- Financially stable. It has an A rating from AM Best Company, has over $1 billion in assets and is the largest domestic property and casualty insurance company in North Carolina.
- You can’t sign up online. NC Farm Bureau requires a chat with an agent to get started.
- Customer service availability is limited. If you need help and want to talk to someone over the phone, you’ll have to call 919-782-1705 between 8:15 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday.
- Must live in North Carolina. This insurer requires North Carolina residency.
How do I make a claim with NC Farm Bureau?
If you’ve been in an accident, there are two ways to make a claim:
- Call your local agent. Have your policy info handy and be ready to provide a thorough description of the accident.
- Submit your claim online. NC Farm Bureau claims you can get it done in six steps by logging into your account on its website and selecting Claims Center.
Frequently asked questions about NCFB
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.