Netspend Prepaid Mastercard review
Customize this prepaid card with your favorite major league baseball team or WWE wrestler.
The Netspend Prepaid Mastercard lets you receive direct deposits, pay bills and spend money on the fly. Plus, it offers unique ways to customize your card. But watch out for potential fees that could eat into your hard-earned dollars.
Up to $9.95
Monthly maintenance fee
Signature transaction fee
PIN transaction fee
|Monthly fee (pay-as-you-go plan)||$0|
|Monthly fee with a direct deposit||$5|
|Signature transaction fee||$0|
|Signature transaction fee (pay-as-you-go plan)||$1.50|
|PIN transaction fee||$0|
|PIN transaction fee (pay-as-you-go plan)||$1.50|
Cassidy Horton is a writer for Finder, specializing in banking and investments. She has a Bachelor of Science in Public Relations and a Master of Business Administration from Georgia Southern University. Cassidy enjoys educating people about financial services, exploring the Pacific Northwest and watching endless reruns of The Office.
The Netspend Prepaid Mastercard is a great prepaid card option for MLB and WWE enthusiasts. Thanks to its customization options, display your favorite baseball team or wrestler right on the front of your card.
Like most prepaid cards, you can qualify for the Netspend Prepaid Mastercard without a credit check. Plus, enjoy other perks like cashback rewards and early direct deposits. But you’ll need to watch out for lengthy fees.
How do I get the Netspend Prepaid Mastercard?
Follow these steps to apply for the Netspend Prepaid Mastercard online:
- Click Apply now.
- From the official Netspend website, look for the MLB or WWE Netspend Prepaid Mastercard in the product list and click Sign Up Now next to the card you want.
- Enter your name, address and email address.
- Choose your direct deposit methods.
- Choose your card’s design.
- Agree to the terms and conditions and click Get My Card.
To be eligible for the Netspend Prepaid MasterCard you can’t live in Vermont and you’ll need to meet the following requirements:
- US citizen or resident
- At least 18 years old
When you sign up for the Netspend Prepaid Mastercard, have the following information on hand:
- Full name, email address and US residential address
- Date of birth
- Government-issued photo ID number
- Direct deposit information
Netspend Prepaid Mastercard plans and fees
Netspend has three plans to choose from — each with their own fee structure. Everyone starts out with the Pay-As-You-Go plan, but you can upgrade to the monthly FeeAdvantage plan or the Premier FeeAdvantage plan if you have at least $500 in monthly direct deposits.
|Account opening fee||$0||$0||$0|
|Monthly plan fee||None||$9.95||$5|
|Signature-based transaction fee||$1.50||Included in plan||Included in plan|
|PIN-based transaction fee||$1.50||Included in plan||Included in plan|
|Cash reload fee||$3.95||$3.95||$3.95|
|US ATM withdrawal fee||$2.50||$2.50||$2.50|
|Balance inquiry fee||$0 by text message; $0.50 by phone or ATM||$0 by text message; $0.50 by phone or ATM||None|
|Account inactivity fee||$5.95 a month||$5.95 a month||$5.95 a month|
|Replacement card fee||$9.95||$9.95||$9.95|
|Foreign transaction fee||4%||4%||4%|
Like other prepaid cards, you won’t get a credit check when you open the Netspend Prepaid Mastercard. You’ll also enjoy a comprehensive mobile app where you can deposit checks. Other perks include:
- Customize your card. Netspend partners with MLB and WWE to offer customized cards of your favorite baseball team or WWE player at no additional cost.
- Cash back. Earn cash back rewards when you use your prepaid card at eligible merchants.
- Get paid up to two days faster. Receive direct deposits up to two days sooner than you would with a traditional bank account.
- Comprehensive mobile app. Download the mobile app and deposit checks, manage your transactions and more.
- Several reload options. Netspend offers convenient ways to reload money on your card: direct deposit, Paypal, electronic transfer from a bank or another Netspend account or in-person at over 130,000 retail locations.
Netspend is a great option for anyone who needs a little help managing their finances, but there are a few drawbacks to be aware of:
- Not open to Vermont residents. If you live in Vermont, you’re not eligible for the Netspend Prepaid Mastercard.
- Long list of fees. Regardless of the plan you choose, watch out for inactivity fees, ATM fees, foreign transaction fees and more.
- Upfront card costs. If you buy your card in person at Walmart, CVS or another retail location, you’ll pay up to $9.95 depending on the retailer. But you can request your card online for free.
If you want an account with lower fees, you’ll want to keep looking. As always, compare your options when considering a prepaid card.
Compare with other debit cards
Choose from five options to add or reload money onto your Netspend Prepaid Mastercard:
- Direct deposit. Set up direct deposit and have your paycheck, government benefits or tax refund sent straight to your prepaid card.
Netspend reload network location. Netspend offers over 130,000 reload locations in the US where you can add money to your card in person.
- Bank transfers. Move money onto your prepaid card when you connect your checking or savings account to your Netspend account.
- PayPal. Add money straight to your Netspend Prepaid Mastercard using PayPal.
- Transfer from another Netspend card. If you have more than one Netspend card account, quickly move money between accounts in the mobile app.
How long will it take to get my card?
You’ll receive your card in the mail within seven to 10 business days of submitting your application. Pay $20 to get it delivered in three business days or $25 to get it delivered in one to two business days.
I got my Netspend Prepaid Mastercard. Now what?
Make the most of your new Netspend Prepaid Mastercard by:
- Reviewing your cardholder agreement. No one wants to be hit with unexpected fees. Review your cardholder agreement to find the fees you may encounter when you use your card.
- Upgrading your fee plan. If you use your card more than seven times a month, consider upgrading to the FeeAdvantage plan to save in fees. This plan costs $9.95 a month, but if you have at least $500 in monthly direct deposits, your monthly fee goes down to $5.
- Downloading the mobile app. Install the official Netspend mobile app to easily manage your card, deposit checks and reload funds.
- Contacting customer support. Have questions about using your card? Contact customer service at 866-387-7363.